Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike refurb
  • andyxxx
    Free Member

Hi
    My three year old Trek EX9.9 has been regularly maintained but is now looking well shabby. The frame needs re-spraying, or at least the chipped decals removing. The paintwork on the Fox 32 forks is peeling off and they are corroding so need treating and respraying.

Does anybody know anywhere that offers a full strip down and refurb /repaint?

Thx

Andy

GolfChick
    Free Member

Argos cycles do the ‘proper job’ or do what I’m about to do and take it to a decent powder coater and get them to do it for at least half the price

zbonty

What GolfChick says. ‘Proper’ costs!
    As for a full stripdown first, specifically forks if you can’t do it you’ll need a friendly lbs/mechanic.

There are plenty of good powder coaters, but some less sympathetic ones, especially where suspension frames/forks are concerned.

andyxxx
    Free Member

I am hopeless and certainly can’t strip it so would have to find a good local mechanic which seems easier said than done in Sheffield!!! – Any suggestions anybody?

Argos cycles is the kind of place I had in mind thanks.

Any more suggestions from anybody would be appreciated

Vortexracing

Fastline in Preston painted did both my Turner and recently my Kona, good value as well

P1050024 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1050007 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1050011 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1040766 by eastham_david, on Flickr

GolfChick
    Free Member

looks awesome! Hows it holding up to knocks etc? strong paintwork?

Vortexracing

seems to be OK, the Satin on the Turner seems to mark easier than the gloss on the Kona, but it buffs out really easy

andyxxx
    Free Member

Yes, that looks good.
    One other thing I forgot to mention – it is a carbon frame, which I assume/hope makes no difference

andyxxx
    Free Member

The worst thing on the bike being the fox forks. The paint is flakink off and the alloy beneath is oxidising. I may have to send them somewhere else?

First need to find someone to strip the bike – will start a new thread.

Duane…
    Free Member

Carbon means it can’t be powdercoated, and I’m guessing it won’t be the best idea to sand blast it either.

Duane…
    Free Member

Regarding stripping it down, why not get on parktool.com and using their excellent guides, start taking bits off the frame?

Admittedly if you don’t have the right tools it will be tricky, but you can get most of the bits off with just a set of allen keys.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike refurb’ is closed to new replies.