Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike recovered…now what with insurance?
  • lapierrelady

What happens if your bike is recovered by the police, but your claim has been settled by the insurance company?

ruscle
    Free Member

Nothing, Your quids in I reckon.

STATO
    Free Member

Read the small print of your policy, i think youll find not informing them of it being recovered is classed as fraud. What they do with the bike (which is technically theirs now) is up to them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The bike belongs to the insurance company. I would reclaim it from the police and once in your possession tell the insurance co – but tell them you will buy it back for a nominal sum. They won’t want it I would be fairly sure and they cannot take your payout back

Nobby

What TJ said.

RealMan
    Free Member

The bike belongs to the insurance company. I would reclaim it from the police and once in your possession tell the insurance co – but … They won’t want it I would be fairly sure and they cannot take your payout back

This.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

i brought mine back for 1 pound

bruneep

When mine was recovered informed the insurance co M&S they told me to keep it

MadBillMcMad

I was with M&S too and same as Bruneep, M&S told me to keep it.

However the police would not hand it over until I got a letter from the insurance company.

I then had some slight fun. The conversation went something like this.

me – ‘Hi Mr M&S, the police have recovered my bike’

m&s – ‘That’s wonderful news’

‘Is it possible for me to buy it back please?’

m&s – ‘Well technically the bike does not exist as far as we are concerned’

me – ‘OK, Does that mean you do not want it?’

‘Correct’.

me – ‘OK then, please can you write me a letter saying that you do not want the bike & are happy for me to pick it up from the police’

m&s – ‘Sorry, we can not do that as it does not exist’

…..

Cutting a long story short, with what must have been a 30 minute call, they eventually agreed to write a letter saying that they gave the permission to the police to hand the bike over to me, but it was worded by some smart arse such that one day (never) they could say ‘Well actually it is ours you know’.

Anyway all ended well, I got my nicked bike back and a brand new bike out of the insurance. Win win.

mtbfix

Thanks for posting this. Was the prompt I needed to get the bikes down and note the frame numbers down. Been meaning to do that for weeks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike recovered…now what with insurance?’ is closed to new replies.