Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • bike recomendations around/under £600
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

So, my mate is looking to buy a mountain bike, what are the recommendations for new about 600 quid?

I’ve told him to keep an eye out for secondhand too. But might as well give him some options. I’m well out of the loop, last looked at bikes in 2012.

chakaping
    Free Member

What kind of riding?

You could either go for a 4 or 5 year old secondhand 26in FS, a newer used 29in or 650b HT or a new HT from somewhere like Halfords or Decathlon.

seosamh77
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    What kind of riding?

Good point! just be general trail use really. So xc really, but something tough enough to handle downs reasonably well. Obviously looking at a hardtail. good point on halfords too, I’ll have a wee gander see what the boardmans are like these days.

Yes, I’ll be keeping an eye out second hand for him as well.

One question, i’ve always been biased again suntour forks(No idea why, I just have an irrational dislike of them, based on very little experience! 😆 ). i see lots of bikes have them in this range these days, is the fork any good, or is it going to be a crap as I remember from years ago?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Suntour are fine, seem a lot better than they used to be.

Carrera fury from Halfords, 1×11 Sram NX and only 480 would leave money in the budget for a cheap dropper post.

Voodoo Hoodoo also in budget, also at Halfords.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Voodoo Hoodoo also in budget, also at Halfords.

I have a 26″ Hoodoo and really like it. If I was buying new i’d get the Bizango though.

I’m picking up my new Voodoo Wazoo on Thursday……. £400 for a Fat Bike, It’d be rude not to.

seosamh77
    Free Member

fury looks interesting, ta.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

If he is large/x large have a look at Paul’s Cycles, some great deals on Giant Hardtails.
    Or try this for most sizes
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/commencal-meta-ht-trail-origin-bike-2017/rp-prod147118

seosamh77
    Free Member

ta, aye he’s about same height as me, so will be a medium, 17/18inch bike he’ll be after.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

In that case ask him about this, only medium left but a belter of a deal…
    http://m.startfitness.co.uk/cycle/bikes/mountain-bikes/charge-2016-cooker-maxi-1-fat-bike-red-bychm6coom1red.html

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m selling a nearly new Boardman Pro 29er hardtail rolling chassis if that might be of interest?

Size is large/19in but I usually take a medium and it was fine for standover, wouldn’t have wanted the top tube shorter.

Frame, Reba RL, Race Face Turbine wheels, stem, bar, seatpost & saddle for £460.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t inflict a fat bike on him, unless of course you don’t like him…

seosamh77
    Free Member

cheers, not sure if he’ll be into fat bikes(not for me personally), but it’ll give him an option. I’ve sent him the link to this thread, so he’ll be able to read them all.

seosamh77
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

ta, he’ll be using the bike to work scheme, so it has to be new, I just found out..

skids
    Free Member

That CArrera fury is a bargain for £480, even less if you got BC discount

joebristol

Halfords have good bikes if it’s got to be new and Halfords can be used in his bike to work scheme. Boardman have some good hardtails and I think the Voodoo brand is meant to have a good bike in that sort of price range.

seosamh77
    Free Member

just noticed the budget is a bit more than I initially said, up to £800 it should be.

monksie
    Free Member

if the budget is £800’ish, the B’Twin bikes around £700 to £1000 look excellent for the money. https://www.btwin.com/en/13-vtt-cross-country

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tarn

Really good discount, and not far from you OP.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘bike recomendations around/under £600’ is closed to new replies.