Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike Rattling, chain guide?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Ok so I guess there will always be an element of rattling when going downhill, but is there a way to minimise this?

Was going a fair pace down some runs yesterday and it sounded like my bike was literally going to fall to pieces. I have a chain stay neoprene thingy fitted, but think I’ll switch to an old inner tube for better coverage and maybe more noise damping.

I have a dual ring setup, is it worth trying out a chain guide? if so which one?

Oh and its a HT so always going to be bounced around to some extent, but I just find all the rattling annoying!!!

wwaswas

rear mech banging on chainstay?

singlepseed 😉

sootyandjim
    Free Member

What kind of bike do you ride?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Yeah its an XT Mech and I don’t have the little rubber bit on the mech, need to dig around in my spares to find it.

I knew a SS comment would come, but I like gears for sitting & spinning up hills 🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I’ve got an ethirteen srs and an inner tube on the chainstay. It’s a very quite setup and I use my ht for a lot of dh. Much much quieter than my dh bike.

A drs setup wont make much difference but an srs will.

MrAgreeable

If you haven’t already, you could try any of the following:

Shorten your chain a bit.
    Fit a medium cage rear mech instead of a long one.
    Fit a shadow or SRAM mech – they pivot in a different way so the mech body can’t contact the chainstay.
    Fit a dual ring chain device. Blackspire Stinger is cheap, doesn’t need any setting up and works well.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

**Visits CRC top checkout SRS system, weeps @ price of E13’s & closes window**

sootyandjim – PA

DustyLilac
    Free Member

chainguide
    short cage rear mech
    shortest possible chain (within reason)
    heavy duty velcro on frame
    insulation tape wrapped around front mech cage (if you run one)

flyingmonkeycorps

Shorter mech / chain?

**edit** Too slow!

DustyLilac
    Free Member

It’s also quite interesting looking at photos of pro downhiller’s bikes. Lots of velcro, tape wrapping, tubes over gear cables etc. The Santa Cruz team bikes seem to be painted after their stays have been wrapped in tape – not sure how durable this would be though…

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks guys,

Will try shortening the chain a bit, inner tube on the stay, tape on the front mech cage and see how that is on the next ride.

Probably get a Blackspire Stinger also, they good value to test out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike Rattling, chain guide?’ is closed to new replies.