Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • BIKE RAGE! AARRGGHHH! Anyone else get annoyed when a nice calm ride gets spoilt?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

I really hate having to cycle on the roads, seems that drivers like to cut you up, refuse to give you right of way on round abouts and in general seem to think you're some kind of road nuisance that doesn't have any right to be on the road at all.

On the other hand I have clipped a few wing mirrors, run my pedals along bonnets just at the top of bumpers when cars pull out too far to make me swerve, and on rare occasions rammed my front wheel into the side of cars that pull out with laughing drivers.

Any one every lose the rag or do nasty stuff back to drivers that dick about, so they get the message?

Jamie
    Free Member

Are you permanently angry?

scaredypants

I shot a man in Renault

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

……cars that pull out with laughing drivers.

"laughing drivers" ? ……….you see laughing drivers ? 😕

What does your shrink say about the "laughing drivers" ?

kaesae
    Free Member

I don't have a shrink, I have bevvy!

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Perhaps they recognise you

kaesae
    Free Member

A lot of people now adays think dickin other people about is funny. Comes from being sick in the soul.

I'm not always angry I laugh more than most. How ever when it comes to cycling I don't like anyone or anything mucking about or spoiling it.

bol

Lol at Scaredypants.

kaesae
    Free Member

I think it comes down to whether or not it's intentional or if it's simply unavoidable.

If someone is doing something just to take the piss! should they not get an earful and taught a lesson so they don't do it again whenever possible?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I laugh more than most. How ever when it comes to cycling …….

Yep, getting on a bike soon wipes the smile off my face – cycling is a serious business.
    But those laughing drivers who think that driving is just one big joke, are sick in the soul……..I'm tellin yer

kaesae
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    You seem to have ignored a fair whack of that sentence!

I like cycling and enjoy it a lot. I don't enjoy drivers cutting me up or employing other bully tactics and thinking it's funny. Although not all drivers laugh while doing it, normally they smirk or simply do the usual blank look bullsh1t.

A lot of drivers do muck cyclist about and drive in a way intended to intimidate or cause offense.

Revvving engines, braking at the last minute when pulling up at intersections or round about's, driving very close to the rear wheel. As the title says this thread is about good times riding being spoilt by drivers.

Perhaps you're one of those rare people who finds all of the above mentioned and more reason to be cheery?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think a lot of these problems would be resolved if cars were fitted with performance bearings.

rOcKeTdOg

What bearing does this have on anything?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I shot a man in Renault

😆

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

A lot of people now adays think dickin other people about is funny. Comes from being sick in the soul.

Quite.

Thank all of you for the other thread on bearings, I hope you don't mind it too much it was my birthday present to myself.

Laughed so hard I almost pissed myself

Talkemada
    Free Member

I don't have a shrink, I have bevvy!

I have both a shrink and bevvy. Not necessarily at the same time.

bassspine
    Free Member

seems that drivers like to cut you up, refuse to give you right of way on round abouts and in general seem to think you're some kind of road nuisance that doesn't have any right to be on the road at all.

sounds like the common denominator here is YOU. Get some proper training in road cycling. Before a laughing driver kills you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

when it comes to cycling I don't like anyone or anything mucking about or spoiling it.

probably best not to ride anywhere where you will encounter other people or vehicles then
    I have tapped cars due to lack of options and jesticulated wildly at n0bbers but i have never deliberately damaged them or felt the need to moan that a car was driven badly today when I went out on the roads ….I would have to post everytime I went on a road.

kaesae
    Free Member

You're all right British roads and drivers are superb and not one person reading this will have anything bad to say about drivers or their experiences with them and the roads.

As for pot holes, ludicrously shaped spead bumps or traffic lights and the roads in general, ALL GOOD!!!

I am the only rider on STW who gets pissed of by drivers mucking me about and I should therefore learn how to be glad drivers do and learn how to ride my bike without offending them!

Points taken you live you learn.

Thanks peeps, am I ever glad you added your wisdom and brightened up my day!

As for the bearings thread. there wasn't any point taking it seriously so I might as well enjoy myself!

kaesae
    Free Member

junkyard

If someone deliberately drives out in front of me and is dickin me about. I feel it is my obligation to respond in a fashion that not only fits the circumstances but that will also help them understand not to muck cyclists about.

Jesticulating is fine but it does not serve any real purpose and will not make any motorist think twice about behaving in a similar manner to other cyclists in the future.

That said, favourite signals to use and favourite insults to shout at motorist who are @ssholes. Not that there are any of course, theoretical @ssholes as it where!

Strangelove
    Free Member

I have clipped a few wing mirrors, run my pedals along bonnets just at the top of bumpers when cars pull out too far to make me swerv

So you deliberately damage cars when you could have avoided doing so?
    You are a ****

bassspine
    Free Member

I have never said that drivers are all good. I often think they must be driving because they can't walk and breathe at the same time.

I firmly believe that there are too many drivers and that the standards set to pass the driving test are way too low in terms of consideration and basic courtesy to other road users.

But I often encounter cyclists who are constantly being cut up and having incidents with cars, and other riders who don't even when they use the same roads. The conclusion seems obvious.

'Teaching drivers a lesson' by being aggressive just means that the driver from then on believes ALL cyclists should be attacked. Not a good long term solution.

kaesae
    Free Member

Yes I have deliberately inflicted damage on cars, not often but when some tosser needs to back off! My theory is that I should swerve or move as little as possible to avoid them, in my day to day use of the road. Especially if they are pulling out while looking straight at me expecting to bully me into stopping.

As for clipping wing mirrors that's more to do with not having enough space than being nasty and cars parking too far from the kurb.

I treat everyone fairly on the flip side of that I treat people the way they treat me which is only fair! as for being a four star I will interpret that to mean sexy, in borat speach.

In my own defence I always have time for cyclists. I don't swerve into them or cut them up. I don't drive too close, pull out at round abouts or intersections and expect to bully them into stopping. I don't get annoyed when they are travelling a long at 15kmh or so and start beebing my horn or revving my engine.

In short the attitufe you show me you will be shown in return, don't take the piss and I wont be nasty!!!

kaesae
    Free Member

bassspine

I disagree, most drivers see cyclist as an easy or soft target. They would be far less likely to try and bully someone if they believed they would meet resistance or be challenged.

If they believe the car will be damaged if they try it on will they be less or more likely to try it on?

I'm not saying kick the car or jump up and down on the bonnet, if I choose to position my pedals in the middle of a manuever to avoid hitting a car that is intentionaly pulling out in front of me, so that said pedals scrape the bumper or bonnet. Is that not a subtle but fair warning?

If the do nothing but put up with drivers behaviour approach was going to work, it would have by now, would it not?

Cyclist have been putting up with sh1t for years!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I feel it is my obligation to respond in a fashion that not only fits the circumstances but that will also help them understand not to muck cyclists about

really I believe there are chaps out there who feel the need to hit people, including ladies, who have direspected/annoyed them. Most people think these people are agressive violent thugs

My theory is that I should swerve or move as little as possible to avoid them

you dont though you deliberately hit them

most drivers see cyclist as an easy or soft target. They would be far less likely to try and bully someone if they believed they would meet resistance or be challenged

well yes if every minor trafic infringement led to a violent confrontation they probably would but it seems like an overreaction.
    Ride the orad accept some car drivers are c0cks and just look after yourself without getting aggresive.
    I get as much bad driving in a car as I do on my bike it is just a drop in driving standards /consideration. We all get angry but your seems a bit OTT. Jestiulating does nothing I agree, but it is still a better choice than criminal damage.

kaesae
    Free Member

If you allow drivers to provoke you and start gesticulating and simply confirm for them that they have indead provoked you.

If you do not send a message on every occasion that you can, that actions have consequences! you are simply encouraging them to be inconsiderate and enforcing the belief that cyclist are fair game!

My way isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than not standing upto road hogs that use their cars size to bully cyclists.

bassspine
    Free Member

I don't give an inch. In fact in my job I sometimes have to put myself deliberately in front of a car that is about to endanger my pupils.

But I do it with a big smile and a thumbs up. It's far more annoying to the road hogs than criminal damage

Junkyard
    Free Member

that actions have consequences! you are simply encouraging them to be inconsiderate and enforcing the belief that cyclist are fair game!

yes clearly your way of breaking the law and causing criminal damages – I assume you think this action has positively conributed to the bad drivers respect of cyclists- is the way forward. If they reat to that O assume you just have to keep[over] reacting more than them till you are fighting with weapons to the death?
    Do you really think that damaging cars will improve driving? Why not ram every car than inches out a junction in your own car as well that will show them!

kaesae
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Beliefs are more important than flowery theories that don't work in
    practice.

We're not talking about a car inching out to improve it's field of view or day to day driving necessities, we're discussing people with a frame of mind that believe bullying cyclist is acceptable.

To do as you say and encourage them to believe that, is to me unnaceptable. The damage is being caused by their actions and inconsiderate behaviour.

If a driver who has clearly looked at me then decides to pull out in my path and I then ram into thier car, who's fault is that?

If I had stopped they would simply continue in that behaviour pattern and do it to every cyclist that comes along, believing it acceptable and having no consiquences. If however they come to understand that if they do that there will be consiquences, will they be inclined to do it again?

Yes it could lead to violence and some times does. However defending your right to go about your business and not encouraging that kind of behaviour in my opinion is more likely to work. Than reinforcing their view point that it is not only acceptable but beneficial to do so.

Since you have taken it to the extreme and said

If they reat to that O assume you just have to keep[over] reacting more than them till you are fighting with weapons to the death?

though some of that statement is clearly incomprehensible I get the meaning, I think!

What is the extreme in this case of my argument, what if drivers simply ignored cyclist all together and pulled out every time they came along?

If I choose to stop or not is my choice, if the driver hasn't seen me and has simply been lapsed in their concentration, then fair enough, I can day dream myself when driving at times.

If they have intentionaly chosen to deny me my rights as a road user and decided to treat me unfairly, then I believe it is more important to inforce my rights than it is to respect their property.

ojom
    Free Member

We all ride around Edinburgh everyday and even drive if needs be.

None of us seem to have anywhere near the trouble you get… odd.

What parts of town are you finding you have to go militant in?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Beliefs are more important than flowery theories that don't work in
    practice.

you believe aggresive and poor drivijng will be solved by greater violence on the part of the victim? I am sure driving standards would improve if everyone just shot every driver who annoyed them/did not follow the highway code? I will put away my law abiding jesticualting self and ****t any mother fecker who annoys me now when I cycle that will teach em so I am told. Reclaim the roads with greater violence fellow cyclists now who is with me and kaesae?

Yes it could lead to violence and some times does

I do hope the fight does not make you late for the intensive physio on your bad back that leaves you unable to stand for more than few hours.

kaesae
    Free Member

Odd seems people all over the place are having problems while out biking except you riders.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cycling-revenge-stories#post-1377323

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tits

No doubt you'll be able to go over and tell them exactly what you just told me with such vehemence. After all you wouldn't want to be guilty of cheap shot hypocrisy!

I will look forward to you explaining it to them, or maybe not as there does seem to be more than one of them and even odds aren't really your style!!!

zaskar
    Free Member

On my way to Bristol city centre or to work, cut up, not giving way etc.

Also wave thanks to drivers giving way when they don't need to or me letting someone out etc.

Try not to look for negatives?

Just focus on my destination with a smile. :mrgreen:

kaesae
    Free Member

Not giving way is a pain, it's people pulling out right in front of you when they see you or intentionally hitting/clipping you I tend to get nasty about.

tonyg2003

5 and half hours off road this morning. Completely stress free. Half a mile of road to get home and in the first 200yds a women in a renault drives up indicates left and almost wipes me out by turning in on me. Not a clue what she was thinking off but it was a sour end to a epic ride.

pitduck
    Free Member

+1 op 😕

singletrackmind

Kaesae.
    If maybe you spent more time on bike, rather than spending all day , every day being a knob , then you would not have so many issues.
    I do not know if it is because you are an urban keyboard warrior, who feels the need to rant and rage and express himself on the internet, or maybe you had a difficult childhood. Maybe in person you may be perfectly sensible and level headed , but the willy waving and rantings of a teenager whose hormone imbalance is seriously effecting his judgement is frankly getting tiresome.
    Now jog on , its the weekend , get off your laptop and go out and actually ride your bike, rather than just pretending to .

kaesae
    Free Member

singletrackmind

Thanks for the input. From now on I will try and stay focused on being nice to people who are complete @ssholes, Starting from now on! I hope you have had a good weekend.

I will also try and stay focused on the real important issues. Unlike road safety and drivers not really seeing cyclists as people at all or as road users with rights either.

As for defending yourself from phsycho dogs. why waste your time discussing another issue that doesn't matter when there are serious matters to be discussed.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-my-collegue-a-closet-gheyer

Truth be told I've mellowed out in my old age and I'm not sure that if someone does much me about any more I would be nasty to them.

Then again I just might and anyone that does, good on you!

Why be a victim?

singletrackmind

When you can be a winner!

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

I had a car that was trying to push me into a ditch in the side of the road and he wouldnt stop. So a firm punch to his wind mirror sent that flying! follwed by a kick to his car door!
    Witness after the incident said to me that they thought the driver was trying to run me over.
    So is this wrong in the eyes of STW ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘BIKE RAGE! AARRGGHHH! Anyone else get annoyed when a nice calm ride gets spoilt?’ is closed to new replies.