Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike racks for T5 barn door with spoiler
  • masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Is this possible without having to get my rusty hacksaw out?

I’ve just bought a van and naturally, the first question is, where are my bikes going to live? Ordinarily, there would be plenty space inside, but it is a converted camper; full of beds an that. I see that fiamma barn door carriers can fit neatly onto barn door T5’s without spoilers, but is it possible for me to keep my spoilers sexiness, and also have a bike rack attached (have cake, eat. Etc). Interested to see if anyone knows of any alternatives, have used or seen any other options to attach their pride and joy safely to the outside of their transporter.

alpin
    Free Member

Have seen one solution where the guy had bolted the carrier directly on the door. Would not work with windows, mind.

tomd
    Free Member

I have a t5 with barn doors. I’ve got a towball mounted atera strada . Only rack I’m aware of that still lets you use the barn doors.

Scamper
    Free Member

Saw a T5 which was carrying his bike vertically using what looked like big suckers. What’s that all about?

akira

Seasucker bike racks, few different designs, might work for you.

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Tidy, forgot about the sucker racks. Is seasucker the name of the company? Singletrack gave them a really good review too didn’t they?

mattbee

Westfalia remivable towbar, circa £350 fitted with electrics. Towbar mounted rack of your choice, we used a Thule one. That way if you aren’t carrying bikes there is no sign of it in your van. Keeps it looking clean. Plus you’ve got a towbar, if you ever need to use a trailer.

simmy
    Free Member

I take it the spoiler is already on or are you thinking of getting one ?

Reason I ask is a guy near me has a Transporter with a rear spoiler with cut outs in it so that a normal rack can still attach to the top of the tailgate.

The cut outs allow the straps through.

FieldMarshall

Dont have a spoiler, but have a T5 with barn doors. Originally went for the Fiamma rack. But it rubbed badly and also there is a maximum weight limit for the door hinges, so maximum of two bikes only.

Changed to a Westfalia removable towbar with Strada rack. Takes 4 bikes and slides back so you can open the doors. Works really well.

jimotter
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike racks for T5 barn door with spoiler’ is closed to new replies.