Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike racks for sports cars?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For an MG midget specificly, I've thought of various bodges like wheels in the passenger seat and bike on the parcel shelf, but that wouldn't work with the roof on.

Do any of the one intended to work on saloon style cars fit something like and MX-5 (im fairly sure no one will have details of midget compatibility, but the MX-5 is a similar sized boot).

grievoustim
    Free Member

i've seen a few little mx-5 type cars using the saris bones rack

i have one in my garage if you are anywhere near brighton you could test it out – i've been thinking about selling it actually as I never use it

vinnyeh

boot rack and bungee cord (well, tiedown probably) and wheels inside?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I ended up buying an estate as well 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the long term solution will be a big disle estate for motorway duties, and probably a camper too, but in the short term at 23 the insurance on one is £850 which barely makes it financialy viable, hence getting a midget so its a hobby, therefore cost is irelavent 🙂 !

I thought of bunging it to a luggage rack, but dont thnk they'd hold it high enough to keep pedals/bars away from the paint.

I'm in Reading, so not a million miles away. How much are you after?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I believe the Saris Bones racks can be used on an MG Midget. They are quite versatile.

If you can get bicycles onto a motorbike,

then an MG Midget should be no problem.

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

Its very difficult to get Strap on Racks to fit most sports cars. They tend to have very shallow boot lids compared to saloons so there is a lot less room to get the side straps and the bottom straps on in a position where the rack is stable. Ours has been made to fit on MX-5s and Z3s in the past so it may be doable. The best thing is to try one. If you're in or near Lancashire you could come and try ours. I think it would be fairly unlikely to fit a Midget but it would be worth trying.

ourmaninthenorth

Saris Bones.

I use one on Mrs North's 😉 MX-5. I'm quite sure it would fit an MG.

tinsy
    Free Member

I love MG Midgets, and only boot rack I remember were those awfull luggage rack things that wrecked the paint, and left sucker marks.. another unsightly solution but at least you can remove it with no paint damage is a tow bar.

A universal bike rack must be bodgeable to fit, the cheap old thing I have is very very adjustable..

tinsy
    Free Member

OR man up, leave the roof off and poke em in the back behind the seats, should be able to stuff 2 bikes in there and around the passenger?? :-).

ourmaninthenorth

Oh yes, no idea what nick the paintwork is in, but if you want to preserve it, you'll need to cover the patches where the rack's feet sit with some helicopter tape.

MX-5 boot lid scratched to b*ggery from not having done that.

a11y

Can you not get bike racks that attach to bootlid-mounted luggage racks? i.e. they keep hold of the bike and keep it away from the car? I've seen them fitted to my car (Z4) so guess they'd fit any luggage rack of a similar type…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hmmm, i did think of a towbar rack (would allow access to the boot too), but by the time I've paid for one to be fitted and bought a rack it might be prohibitive.

tinsy
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon…. if you got a midget my guess is you are used to doing work on it, fitting a towbar to one is a doddle of a job.

Thinking about it, if your only planning to transport 1 bike and its not too heavy am fairly certain you could rig something up to get a bike rack on the roof, if you was really creative you could attach it through the softop to the pram bars, and add flaps over the cutouts to the vinyl, of course get this wrong and you have wrecked a hood!!

Will have a good look at my mums car next time I go to see her.

mcwyc
    Free Member

Another for Saris but the RS version.
    I used to own a z4 and deliberated on this subject for a while before stumping up the cash for the Saris RS. This has two reinforced straps going to the top of the boot lid (where it hinges) and some hooks that go under the boot lid. No side straps for the RS version. The rack is quite heavy but really well designed, the 'feet' didn't leave any impressions on the car. Great rack but very expensive.
    I have some piccies but can't figure out how to upload them!!!

BoardinBob

Had an MGF and used to carry the bike easily on the boot with my £20 Asda bike rack. Basically just one of the things below. Get the straps nice and tight and it wont move.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I've know a guy who has an MX5. He uses a boot luggage rack with a normal front-wheel-off style roofrack mounted on that. He's shortened the bike rack and turns his bars round 180 to keep everything a little more compact.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Had a tow bar on a Midget years ago and it was really easy to fit. Drilled four holes in the boot floor and it bolted through those – think it was two bars either side of the tank and then one across the back joining the two which had the ball hitch on. Then wire in the electrics to the loom which is easy.

If you look at the piccy Boardinbob posted the lower part of the rack sits on something. Depending on the model you'll have to look at what the bottom sits on – the split rear bumper models will have nothing whilst the rubber buper ones have a nice platform to rest it on. Though you could make something up for the split bumper ones that runs between the inner mount for each bumper which would work.

And this is how I carry them on an MX5…..

MoreCashThanDash

Porsche make a great bike rack for the Boxster – a big spider like contraption that fits over where the roof should be, that you can attach a bike carrier to. Saw one parked up at a sportive ride in the summer and made the instant decision that the owner was a n0b….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike racks for sports cars?’ is closed to new replies.