Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike rack recommendations please
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Getting a VW Sharan and weighing up the cost of fitting a tow ball (I already have a tow ball mounted rack) versus buying a new rack. Needs to fit 3 bikes.

Roof or rear mount?
    Any brands/styles to avoid?
    Experiences good or bad?

Thanks wise people

tubthumped
    Free Member

My personal preference is to roof mount. I’ve never had a tow bar mount so cannot comment on their pro’s.
    My reasoning for the roof mount is simple. I’ve had 3 occasions where a car has hit me from behind.
    I have never had a car hit my roof.
    Thus, roof mounted is safer IMO.

robdee
    Free Member

If you do go for a roof mounted option, watch out for height restrictions when parking!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Tow bar mounts are ace. Simple, secure and – so I’ve heard – much more fuel efficient than roof mounts. However the cost of fitting the tow ball means I’d like to explore other options.

Practical question: do tow ball mounted racks interfere with reversing sensors?

cookeaa

I did have a colleague a while back who had a Seat Alhambra (same as the Mk1 Sharan/Galaxy) which had a 3 bike rack that attached directly to the tailgate, I don’t think there was any drilling or straps involved it simply clamped on at four points around the edge of the tailgate and he could still access the boot and use his tow ball for towing, I think it also held the bikes a bit higher so the lights and number plate were visible (obviously without a trailer) and he didn’t need an extra light/Reg board…

It was a pretty sweet setup, He pretty much left the rack on all the time… I’m buggered if I can remember the make of that rack but I’m sure some googling would turn it up…

Keep the Roof empty in case you want to use a roof box, or to go on a ferry…

cookeaa
    dti

these are vey good indeed – as the one for the t5 transporter.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Rear rack is fave option at the moment

PhilC
    Free Member

Did you get sorted? I have a rack for a Sharran. It won’t fit the new model with the slidy doors, but does fit the older VW, Ford, Seat clones. Boot racks on the new models are probably a no no as there is a lot of plastic in the tailgate and its not structurally strong enough to carry 3 bikes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike rack recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.