Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike Rack Number Plate Mount with LED lights
  • fannybaws
    Free Member

Hi All,

Anyone found a small number plate mount that includes indicators etc that can easily be hung on the back of their bike rack?

i have found a trailer board with led lights etc but a 4ft board seems a bit over kill.

Cheers

wwaswas

rules for trailers are here; http://www.uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/trailer-lighting-rules-regulations-and-requirements/

obviously a lighting board isn;t a trailer but rules on distance from outside of vehicle, minimum separation probably apply.

If it really bothers you just buy a board, take the lights off one end, trim it down and reattach the light to the shortened board.

garage-dweller

No reflective triangles for bike racks.

If i recall width correctly mine is about 4ft wide. Why would you want something especially narrow anyway? The lights are at the sides of your car for good reason…

Superficial
    Free Member

My Thule rack doesn’t fold without detaching the light board, but it would if the lights were narrower. So there’s a reason.

ISTR there is a length that defines a trailer and a rack of less than a metre doesn’t meet it.

garage-dweller

It’s irrelevant whether a rack is a trailer except i think for the triangular reflector point, which i cant back up just now as my Google skills are failing me.

It’s the obscuring, partial or complete of the lights and/or number plate that is an offence (also dangerous but let’s stick to technicalities).

If I’ve misunderstood what you meant apologies in advance.

spooky_b329

Some racks like mine that is designed to fit in the boot actually have the lights on sliders, otherwise they’d be too far from the edge of the car.

I’m sure if they were allowed to be further from the sides of the car, they wouldn’t go to the trouble of making them slide.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The rule for cars is that the lights must be entirely within 400mm of the outside of the car. So as long as you meet that you should be fine?

Would a folding board not work?

fannybaws
    Free Member

should have said the rack is on a van so no problem with the lights being impaired just the number plate.

went for this as i couldn’t find a short led one.

short number plate holder

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike Rack Number Plate Mount with LED lights’ is closed to new replies.