• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by igm.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike rack for Mondeo Mk4 hatch
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’m off to France this summer (via Brittany Ferries) and planning to take 2 adult bikes plus my son’s 24″ wheel bike and possibly a trailer for my daughter.

Any suggestions/experience on the best way to do this? I’m thinking a rear rack but have heard that Mondeos aren’t great for this – mine has the ‘sports pack’ which means it has a spoiler and as far as I can tell, most of the bottom of the hatch is made of plastic so not sure on the best solutions.

Looks like this:

No tow bar on at the moment but will consider getting one fitted if necessary (Anyone know roughly what that costs?) to fit a tow bar rack.

Thanks

nemesis
    Free Member

No Mondeo-men (or women) around? 🙂

dknwhy

With the spoiler, a tow bar fitting will be your best option and offer the least risk of damaging the car.
    I love my Saris boot rack but it’s wrecked the hatchback paint on our car (not a Mondeo btw). I doubt you’d be able to fit a hatch rack with that spoiler anyway.
    Expect to pay £300 ish for a towbar to be fitted with electrics and then £400+ for a 4 bike rack like the Thule Euro Classic.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve used the rear racks on a number of cars and they are not the best solution – you’re far better off with either a tow bar setup or a roof rack setup in my opinion, though none of these are the cheapest option, espeically the tow bar mounted solution.

If its just a one-off use then you’re probably better off with a rear rack and put up with the disadvantages. If you think you’ll be using it after your holiday then to invest in somehting better would be worthwhile.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks for those. £700… ouch… might be cheaper to swap the car…

igm

I used a tow bar rack on my spoilered Mondeo. Altera for me but to be honest you could just about get the boot open without moving the rack so a cheaper option might work.

Tow bar prices vary with fixed or detachable, swan or flange, the electrics package – and fitting costs (ring locally) – but it’s going to be a couple of hundred plus the rack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike rack for Mondeo Mk4 hatch’ is closed to new replies.