• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike Races and Events (not the BBB) – Talk to me about what works
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was wondering about setting up a more bike riding focussed event than the Big Bike Bash and wondered what you guys would like.

I don’t really want to compete with the established events like Southern XC or Gorrick races but was thinking of something that does involve in riding laps of a trail.

My initial thoughts are that we wouldn’t need (expensive) timing gear as people would only be racing for positions. This means we just need to record their position relative to everyone else.

This could be done by simply counting the number of laps over a time period. If the period was long enough then there shouldn’t be too many people with the same number of laps.

I have tried to work out the time period and it looks like it would have to be 6 hours or more and I don’t think I can be bothered to count riders for over six hours.

My improved idea is to hold the race over something like 2 hours and get a spread of between 1 and 10 laps for everyone. We then have a one lap sprint for everyone who did less than 4 laps with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize. Same again for 4 – 8 laps and the same again for over 8 laps. Obviously the number of laps might change but basically the riders would ride for a set period and then there would be three sprint races to get winners in each group. Make sense?

I know that is a bit vague but then so is my mind.

I would love you input on low labour ways of doing this stuff. I want to require as few volunteers as possible while still giving everyone who takes part the maximum fun.

mattbee

I actually like the sound of that format. Means if you are either not so fit or have a problem mid race you still have a chance, with the 1 lap winnerizer thing.

akak
    Free Member

Sounds a bit mad to me wouldn’t you just end up with a load of pace groups going round? Instead of counting laps manually you could log them on a spreadsheet and automatically record the time, then you would know who has won?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

No-one is told in advance what the lap count cut off points will be. the just not bottom 1/3rd, middle 1/3rd and top 1/3rd. They have to race during the main event to get in the good categories. The better the category, the better the prizes.

boxelder

The no fuss 10 under type events are ace. Copy that and you won’t go far wrong.
    Solos, pairs, trios, teams. One timing dibber around neck passed on like a baton. Start time recorded, with a couple of ‘dibber’ boxes to record finished laps. As many laps as you can manage to start within 10 (or 6 or 2) hours, but you must finish the final lap within a cut off time.
    Easy.
    Getting the right feel/vibe whatever is what counts. Oh, and decent riding obviously.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Getting the right feel/vibe whatever is what counts.

I have got that bit nailed. It is the riding bit I **** up on

singlecrack
    Free Member

Just sub out the lap timing to someone…loads of companies doing it now with transponders ….
    Lots of racers want to see positions and lap times

DT78
    Free Member

I’d prefer to see lap times, I always do a bit of post ride analysis. So I think you should go with time recording really. Maybe you could get everyone to use strata, set up a “group” on there and use it’s segment feature? You would have to carry a smart phone and upload instantly to know the results though!

Stuff I liked at recent events. Erlstoke a strata sponsored segment inside the race with a prize for the fastest through that segment and BBD a prize for the fastest lap time.

You could try something similar, how about a Tour de France style Green jersey section for a flat out sprint (home straight into the pits?) and a polka dot KOM timed climbing section….

bensales
    Free Member

Agree with subbing out to a chip timing company. I enter loads of small running races and the vast majority now provide chip timing and entry fees are still under a tenner. You could then provide accurate timing of overall race distance and each lap.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Timing chip companies are available but do add quite a cost to the event especially if the competitor numbers are low. I did look into it a few years back and you needed >300 people to get the price to approx £5 per head at the time. The companies supplied the people as well as the gear which bumped up the costs. Buying the systems isn’t a cheap option either.

I guess Strava is an option but having seen the difference in times between people in the Thursday night slow ride I am not sure how accurate that would be.

I will check out the costs again as they may have changed

kimbers

Format sounds interesting, but for me the trails have to be interesting too, as technical as you dare!

Also a PA system and a commentator !

qwerty
    Free Member

Whats your aim, to make a heap of cash or raise a little for charity?

You sir, have a stupendous venue, ethos and ability to combine bicycles and alcohol, to host SSUK2016 (EU/WC). DO IT!

qwerty
    Free Member

You could host a round of your local areas CX series, again your venue would suit this very well and minimal faffage required.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve organised a 3 race MTB series with categories and a few triathlons, which we managed to give timed results for. The triathlon was a real faff as only a small pool and multiple waves of swimmers all at 20min intervals. Can be done using an Excel spreadsheet and stopwatches, needs to be precision run once you start though.

dobo
    Free Member

This time of year is all about CX isnt it 😉 either host CX or do a CX type event. Just do it on a date that dont clash with local CX league or MTB events.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Qwerty – the venue of the BBB isn’t actually my home, I more sort of borrow it. Ssuk might be an idea for it though.

timraven

as technical as you dare!

^^this, always this.

And yes I’d like some timing too.

DT78
    Free Member

Re strata accuracy. Agree it’s a bit vague at times if you use a phone, but if you are crystal about it competitors shouldn’t get the hump about it…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike Races and Events (not the BBB) – Talk to me about what works’ is closed to new replies.