Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike pumps (Floor and hand)
  • dwarfer2012
    Free Member

Hi Guys I’m looking for some help. I am currently studying a BSc Degree in Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering at Newcastle College. Part of this degree course contains a module on Product Development. For this module I have been given the opportunity to re-develop the conventional floor bike pump.

I would love to have some input from you bike users on what you find irritating about bike pumps. What parts commonly fail and what you would like changed. If anyone knows of some useful websites in the form of pump reviews and specifications would be great.

Cheers Dwarfer2012

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Bike pump research!

An important part of doing a degree is research skills, I suggest you improve those before you improve the bike pump.

dwarfer2012
    Free Member

that’s what I’m doing now LoL, I’m researching what users hate about bike pumps. What component parts commonly fail for them and what they would like to see improved, I’m widening my research base

wwaswas

for me the biggest thing would be to have a floor pump where the head didn;t get bunged up with blowback from tyres running tubeless with sealant.

pudd
    Free Member

Spot on micky Finn.

Asking forum folk to tell you what to improve ain’t research.

But I’m a sucker for silly questions.

An auto pressure shut off and easier ways to mount and remove the valve tube thingy.

rondo101
    Free Member

for me the biggest thing would be to have a floor pump where the head didn;t get bunged up with blowback from tyres running tubeless with sealant.

That’ll be why my track pump isn’t working as well as it used to then! (not that it worked very well in the first place).

OP: a button to release air from the tyre without removing the adaptor, akin to those on shock pumps, would be handy.

crikey
    Free Member

Mmmm.. the track pump is a 50 year old design, good luck with improving it.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

easier ways to mount and remove the valve tube thingy

^ this ^

More volume for less effort too, please.

scaled
    Free Member

how about a high volume/high pressure option?

I’d love a high volume pump for seating tubeless tyres, maybe take the classic track pump, add another 2 cylinders for seating the bead.

Or you could spend 9p on a ghetto tubeless inflator i suppose.

wwaswas

Or you could spend 9p on a ghetto tubeless inflator i suppose.

I can see one ‘built into’ a floor pump being quite popular.

DezB
    Free Member

A smart head that actually works for both types of valves would be good.

To the smartie pants who suggested asking people a question isn’t research, I suggest you do some of your own – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research#Research_methods

🙄

dwarfer2012
    Free Member

cheers for the input, its nice to get some info from the consumers. All the thing you are mentioning will help nicely

jekkyl

i hate it when the head doesn’t connect properly and air just blows out the side, or when you have to hold it straight so that the air goes in.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike pumps (Floor and hand)’ is closed to new replies.