Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Bike prices… fact or fiction?
  • frogstomp

They are two separate companies..

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have a feeling, if only from the colour, that they may share a common ancestry 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

AFAIK KTM sold the rights to the name for making mountain bikes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MTB-Rob
    Free Member

If you don’t think MTB bikes are value for money?

Compare them to ROAD bikes then.

frogstomp

Absolutely, but they have been different, autonomous companies for over 20 years so you can’t really compare their contemporary products (as you were implying you could)…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t forget, despite what people think, you don’t actually need top end XTR unless you’reeven if racing at the top, deore will do. Most people perfectly bringing the cost of a decent MTB down by quite a margin.

FTFY

If you had £3000 in your pocket & blew it on an mtb, you would get a lot less than if you spent the same amount on an mx bike. Looking at mx bikes over the last few weeks has me questioning the price tags put against a lot of mountain bikes.

If you had £3k to spend on a bike you would be buying something marginaly ‘better’ than a £1000 bike. If you had £30,000 to spend on a MX bike you would get something marginaly better than a £8,500 CRF.

Even taking your second hand example of a £3k MX bike (which will be in need of some expensive work, otherwise why would they be selling it). How many second hand £3k MTB’s are there, you barely see anything over about £1500.

If you think MX is cheep, by all means buy one, but don’t come back crying in a few weeks when you’re bankrupt!

And a final thought; if bikes are so overpriced, how come other companies aren’t selling comparable bikes cheeper. If Spesh were overpriced, everyone would buy Trek, if they were overpriced, cannondale, marin, norco, etc. The fact they all make frames costing £1000-£1500 or thereabouts probably means competition is working. Either that or there’s a global conspiracy between hundreds of brands to fix prices.

ahwiles
    Free Member

dragon – Member

1) No one races needs a Santa Cruz, they are fashion accessories.

i hope you don’t mind my correction…

Dragon makes a good point, using Santa Cruz as a benchmark for bike prices is simply daft. Like complaing about the price of wellies after looking at the Hunter stand in John Lewis.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

MTB Rob – Member
    If you don’t think MTB bikes are value for money?

Compare them to ROAD bikes then.

I’d say road bikes are better value really, they last far longer, mtb’s tend to wear out pretty quickly and require more looking after.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why all the SC haterz? Their Alu VPP frames are close to Orange Alpine prices with the Heckler coming in £50 under the much loved 5? the entry level heckler is £2600 which is close to the 5 pricing??
    Their pricing lines up well against people like Intense for the carbon stuff.

honourablegeorge

davidtaylforth – Member
    MTB Rob – Member

I’d say road bikes are better value really, they last far longer, mtb’s tend to wear out pretty quickly and require more looking after.

Do fifteen runs on the Antur Stiniog black on your road bike and see how much maintenance it needs the following day.

ahwiles
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Why all the SC haterz? Their Alu VPP frames are close to Orange Alpine prices with the Heckler coming in £50 under the much loved 5? the entry level heckler is £2600 which is close to the 5 pricing??
    Their pricing lines up well against people like Intense for the carbon stuff.

i’m not a SC hater.

i just piggy-backed onto Dragon’s comment about Santa Cruz – and i guess he was piggy-backing onto a little SC-focussed momentum further back up the thread.

Which i think is valid, when someone buys a Santa Cruz, they must have just popped out of their cave not to know that they’re buying into (arguably) the most high-profile brand in mountain biking. That kind of branding does not come cheap.

i can of course expand my comment on SC pricing:

using Santa Cruz / Intense / Orange / Cotic as a benchmark for bike prices is simply daft. Like complaing about the price of wellies after looking at the Hunter stand in John Lewis.

i should point out that i’m about to buy some Hunter wellies for my wife, she wants them, they’re nice, we can (just about) afford them.

as for bike prices, i was looking at a Whyte 129 for £1500 last week. If my credit card was in better health i would have bought it there and then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fair enough it just seems to get pulled out as the go to bike for isn’t it all really expensive…

anyway I’d better go and polish my carbon SC, I don’t need it but sure as hell enjoy riding it.

Your’s obviously a complete mug who they saw coming 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

Most MTB stuff (bikes and accessories) is priced to what the market will stand. The price has nothing to do with what the item costs to produce.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do fifteen runs on the Antur Stiniog black on your road bike and see how much maintenance it needs the following day.

Do I have to? What would this prove?

dragon
    Free Member

Orange have always been overpriced as well, Santa Cruz. I just think it’s better to compare with the likes of Giant, Trek, Specialized etc. Who do manufacture and sell in big volume, and clearly do big deals with Shimano, SRAM, Mavic etc. to keep costs down, and hence, often offer the best value bikes.

bencooper
    Free Member

Most MTB stuff is priced to what the market will stand. The price has nothing to do with what the item costs to produce.

FTFY.

Actually, “cost-plus” pricing is still quite common in the bike industry, that’s one reason the bike industry isn’t all that profitable.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Orange have always been overpriced as well

I dunno, I reckon you’re probably paying about the right amount for UK labour rates + handbuilding premium + UK overheads in general. Cotic prices are less explainable, as they’re made in taiwan IIRC, and just designed here (which on-one seem to manage to do a fair bit cheaper).

Not saying that makes them (Orange) good value in comparison to Giant/Trek/etc.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Bike prices… fact or fiction?’ is closed to new replies.