Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike postage USA to uk
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

I have seen a bike i like on eBay and the seller is willing to post to uk

It can be sent from USA or canada as he is at the border

Has anyone done this before and could recommend a courier?

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

make sure you are up to speed with import and customs charges

dovebiker

Shipping costs based on volume – measure up a bike box, bash the dimensions into a shipping estimate calculator and pour yourself a stiff drink! You’ll also pay duty and VAT on the prices of the bike + shipping e.g. assuming duty of VAT: 1.2*1.08(Cost of bike + shipping) therefore if the bike costs £500 and shipping £120 to get it to your doorstep is going to cost you £803, plus there’ll be a freight-forwarding / handling charge

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Do you get hammered for VAT/ duties on 2nd bikes?

I didn’t think you did?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You need to prove it’s 2nd hand if you have any hope, anything imported short of personal possesions is taxed

pb2

Doesn’t matter if its second, third or fourth hand, VAT is applicable. From memory certain classes of antiques (over a 100 years old) were vat exempt. If you decide to ask the sender to lower the declared value you will reduce your tax burden but increase your risk if anything happens to the bike in transit or if it fails to turn up.

I regret to say there is no easy way around this.

flashes
    Free Member

I got hammered for tax on a used frame and wheels. I wouldn’t do it again….

newrobdob
    Free Member

It was a few years ago (3 or 4?) when the postage costs to and from the USA suddenly jumped up in price. I was on retrobike a lot and there was a healthy cross Atlantic trade in parts and bikes/frames before the price rise, this was really reduced to almost nothing (at least for frames and bikes) as it just wasn’t realistic to post across the pond any more. IIRC you used to be able to post fully insured for £40-50 airmail but it pretty much doubled overnight. 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike postage USA to uk’ is closed to new replies.