Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike Polo anyone here do it? Know much about where it happens?
  • derekrides
    Free Member

Saw it at the London show, think it’s way rad, fancy a go.

Initially I swear they were riding fixies, saw one back out of a situation, but on closer inspection they appear to be single speed.

Anyway I’m all ears for no gears…

And hitting things with a stick..

Todd
    Free Member

I was there playing with my team, Cosmic. We came 3rd overall and had a great tourney. The game’s progressed a lot over the last 2 years. Very few people play on fixed wheel bikes. We ride singlespeed mtb’s, custom builds, and ss 700c steel bikes. I play in London where we have a few courts either side of the river. We play outdoors all year round. On tarmac. Our friends in Cambridge now have an indoor court which is cool. There’s polo happening all over the country now so hopefully somewhere near you. New players are always most welcome. We don’t always play in our teams either. There’s lots of ‘throw in’ sessions where you throw in your mallet and get drawn randomly into a team of 3. Get involved! Join the LFGSS.com forum and check the bike polo section.

http://www.cosmicbikepolo.wordpress.com

Hooter
    Free Member

I’ve played it. Got together with friends, borrowed some plastic hockey sticks and went down the local playing fields. Huge fun. I believe there’s a weekly meet somewhere in central Manchester to do it properly.

derekrides
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m going to see if our local sports centre would be interested in letting us in, I used to play roller blade hockey in there but the kids liked to ape the violence for violence sake of ice hockey and none of them were that fit, they used to sit down every ten minutes because they were knackered.

Where do you get those plastic mallets from?

thepodge
    Free Member

Sheffield player here.

indoor places don’t tend to like you due to skid marks and damage to wood floors but we use basketball courts & carparks.

we’re struggling a bit at the moment due to the weather and because some of our players keep abusing the play area but hopefully they’ll grow up soon & warmer weather will kick in.

where you based?

mallets are made from gas pipe & golf clubs but just as the game has progressed from fixies you can now buy specific shafts & heads

MrAgreeable

You make ’em – an old ski pole (eBay or charity shop) and some 63mm HDPE water pipe (chat up a builder or a fellow player), a bit of drilling, and bob’s your uncle.

There’s a guide for beginners what I wrote here:

http://bs3polo.blogspot.com/p/start-playing.html

Where do you live? Have a google for your town’s name plus “Bike polo” – chances are there’s already some people playing.

Todd
    Free Member
    derekrides
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member
    You make ’em – an old ski pole (eBay or charity shop) and some 63mm HDPE water pipe (chat up a builder or a fellow player), a bit of drilling, and bob’s your uncle.

There’s a guide for beginners what I wrote here:

http://bs3polo.blogspot.com/p/start-playing.html

Where do you live? Have a google for your town’s name plus “Bike polo” – chances are there’s already some people playing.

Thanks, I live near Hickstown (Folkestone)on the south coast they can barely ride down here in between the afghans knifing each other. Nonetheless I shall google away, does that guide (haven’t clicked it yet) set out typical court dimensions?

sas
    Free Member

There’s a group in Canterbury, they look like they’re quite active:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/200658156662762/

They’ll probably be happy for you to join them, and if you’re lucky they might lend you a bit of equipment to get started back in Folkestone.

MrAgreeable

There aren’t any typical court dimensions, it depends where you play! Most courts are the size of a 5-a-side pitch/basketball court. Also really helps to have it as enclosed as possible so the ball stays in play.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike Polo anyone here do it? Know much about where it happens?’ is closed to new replies.