Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike polish for carbon frame?
  • chalky46
    Free Member

Just had a new top of the range specialized road bike. I would like sum spray on polish. Any recommendations?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheap and nasty silicone wax:

Washes off, but stops mud sticking as a result, covers scratches/swirls.

Expensive Carnauba wax (which is really just palm wax, like palm oil but with a name that doesn’t make you think of homeless monkeys in the rainforest):

Doesn’t wash off, but needs polishing in with a cloth.

Just wiping down with an oily rag (or a bit of clean cloth and chain lube if you’re posh):

Practically free, repels mud, nearly zilch effort. Gets marketed by Scotoiler as ‘ultimate bike spray’ (which is a good thing, because it’s crap as a chain lube).

Guess which one I use……………

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Baby oil!

*Must be made from real babies though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Baby robin oil obvs.

poah
    Free Member

polish is not the same as wax. wouldn’t use a polish but putting a synthetic sealant on the frame would be good.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not sure how true it is about certain oils having a detrimental effect on carbon. I’m sure a bit of olive/rapeseed/cooking/baby oil wouldn’t hurt, but FWIW I just use WD40 type stuff on my carbon bars.

nedrapier

For some reason, those oils listed in that order is a bit of an assault on the mind!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure how true it is about certain oils having a detrimental effect on carbon.

The carbon should be fine, it’s epoxy based. Paints and lacquers maybe/maybe not. You’d think it would be fine otherwise you’d have a mess on the chainstay.

chalky46
    Free Member

I’ve always Mr pledge on previous bikes. Smells nice and after 3 years no sign of paint fade or change of colour.

d3carbon
    Free Member

Muc-off silicone shine!

Makes frame look shiny AF, plus smells delish! 😛

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike polish for carbon frame?’ is closed to new replies.