Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bike Parts you've made or anything that is innovative
  • mikehopkins
    Free Member

For example
    Converse SPDs
    Belt Drive Full Sus’
    Ass Savers

empireofthefun
    Free Member

No innovation here ! Everyone is too busy arguing about dogs on trails etc 😛

porter_jamie

in the middle of making a ally balance bike with my brother, for my nephew. it’s going to have 12.5″ two piece bolt up billet wheels, (12.5″ the new niche), 44mm headset, dual crown rigid forks that look like usd motorbike forks.

The machining in the steerer and the head tube is ridiculous, should look suitably over the top when it’s done.

wwaswas

cynic-al and his spoons to thread! cynic-al and his spoons to the thread!

mikehopkins
    Free Member

Come on, any ideas…

pinetree
    Free Member

Does this count? I know it should have been a bodge, but I ended up running it for a few months. Surely that means it’s something I made? I did have to shape the stick after all…

#edit- I should explain that the spring broke in my tensioner when out on a ride.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I invented and made (then Pete Tomkins stole it)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I made (not innovated) some bits and pieces in a machining evening class years ago.

Also farted around with bikes & frames as above (it wasn’t a spoon).

Rosarch – true? couldn’t you pursue him? (TBH I thought they were a solution looking for a problem)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Belt Drive Full Sus’

You say? That would be me….

singlespeedstu

couldn’t you pursue him?

What. For 50% of fuckall? 😆

giantalkali
    Free Member

I carefully filed down the end of a set of needlenose pliers and drilled a notch into them so that they would work as a quick link splitter. They were great, then they broke.

charliedontsurf

I once made a single speed chain tensioner, partly made from mrs bikemongers spatula, I called it a spatulator… It worked for almost a lap of the euro single speed champs back in 2000 ish. Back then half the bikes were bodged together.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

@ir_bandito, yeah it’s a such a good piece of design, do you have to replace the belt a lot?

monogramman
    Free Member

I re worked the spyder on my X9 cranks to take a 104bcd chainring instead of the 120bcd which is impossible to get rings for.

It worked great and is actually lighter than the replacement X0 spyder that replaced it.

Still have it as a spare.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

An old mate of mine was a toolmaker (don’t even go there) he could make anything. Stuff like miniature steam engines for instance. Making bike stuff was a doddle for him.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Quite like this one a friend of mine came up with. Using a RS pop lock button to operate a 2 speed front mech. Much lighter than the a normal shifter.

In fact the whole bike he hand built is pretty innovative.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Well technically I stole it off Si Trickett (waves 😀 ) first so I suspect I did’nt have too much moral authority (and I was 16).

Duane…
    Free Member

[*]A Level D&T (crude I know)

A few years ago, before they became mainstream 😛

RoterStern
    Free Member

The complete hand made bike.

AD

Made a smart mud guard extension thing to stop crap getting thrown directly into the shock on my Tomac Revolver. Not quite as impressive as a full bike admittedly…

Rorschach
    Free Member

More photo’s Roger!!
    Where is the main pivot?I’m trying to work out the shock progression.That’s never right Shirley 😮

RoterStern
    Free Member

It’s basically a single-pivot design and the shock position is such to get the right amount of shock leverage 2:1. It looks like the shock is in the wrong position but he drew me all kinds of diagrams with curve rates etc to explain it to me and it does patently work as I have seen it in action.

Oh! And those cranks are handmade too.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Double brake lever. Pulls both brakes.

Ambrose

Has that shock ever gone past the vertical position?

Ambrose

@ Retrodirect- I like this a lot. I knew a guy with (what he called) a ‘withered’ arm when I was a kid who needed something just like what you produced.

Rorschach
    Free Member

“Scuttles off to fiddle with Linkage CAD program”

Retrodirect
    Free Member

There’s a great bodge I’ve seen turning a dual-control mtb lever into independent dual brakes from one lever. up and down activates the front brake and pulling back and forward activates the rear brake. Something to do with drilling out pins and springs in them.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

do you have to replace the belt a lot?

Once. I had problems with the original Carbon Drive belt slipping off the sides of the pulleys as the bike flexed. Solved it by getting a pair of dropouts machined which allowed a bit more belt tension and included a tensioner bolt, and use a 10mm bolt-in hub to stiffen up the rear end.

DSC_0518 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

That improved things, but the belt had got so damaged earlier on from all the slipping, it was finally defeated by the Leicestershire Alps. Since replaced it with a Centre-Track system and had no problems (yet)

porter_jamie

pinetree – Member
    Does this count? I know it should have been a bodge, but I ended up running it for a few months. Surely that means it’s something I made? I did have to shape the stick after all…

#edit- I should explain that the spring broke in my tensioner when out on a ride.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bike Parts you've made or anything that is innovative’ is closed to new replies.