Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike parts not covered by insurance?!
  • Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I had my garage broken into a couple of weeks ago, they only got away with 2 Lyrik suspension forks and a set of brakes and didn’t take any bikes thankfully. My insurance company (M&S, underwritten by Axa) is now saying they don’t cover parts that are not attached to a bike, referencing a section of the policy document:

p16 “What is not covered”
    Pedal Cycles – Loss or damage
    b) to tyres and accessories unless the pedal cycle is lost or damaged at the same time.

Has anyone else ever claimed for parts alone, especially from M&S or any other Axa underwritten insurance company?

My interpretation of that line is that it refers to accessories only, such as bags, lights, mudguards etc, not component parts. Otherwise why does it refer to “Tyres AND accessories”, as tyres are a component part of bike?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I have had this recently, garage was broken into and 4 bikes taken, along with 2 pairs of spare wheels and a tool box.

They (AXA/M&S) Initially said the wheels were classed as P&A and weren’t covered. I eventually argued the case enough to make them consider it and pay up. Was hard work though and I don’t think I’d be successful if the bikes hadn’t been stolen too.

The parts and accessories rule seems to be written as though it was intended to be parts stolen from a locked bike in town, for example lights, computers, pumps, that kind of thing. I argued that how could a bike that was stolen with wheels have an accessory of another pair of wheels? surly they were a separate and insured item. It seemed to work.

flatfish
    Free Member

Surely forks are a fundamental component of a bike and not an accessory like lights and a bell?

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I’m trying to argue exactly that, the case has been referred to an “expert” who will call back tomorrow. Their argument was that once a part is removed from a bike, it becomes an accessory. It’s nonsense imo.

Blazin-saddles: its good to hear you managed to argue the case, gives me hope!

paulwf

I had a wheel damaged by fire in my garage.

The claim handlers kept trying to call my wheel a bike accessory but as I had read the terms I kept correcting them (several times in each phone call) saying that it was a fundamental part of the bike, not an accessory.

They accepted it and passed it onto Wheelies insurance replacement who were very good.

Edit- they also paid out for the tyre

mattsccm
    Free Member

Change your insurer next time?
    LV sorted my claim out right down to inner tubes, maps and tatty saddle bags.

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Had a call back to say that they’d had a discussion about it, and now will pay out. Good news! Moral is: just keep on arguing I guess.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike parts not covered by insurance?!’ is closed to new replies.