Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bike parts in carry on luggage – asking for trouble?
  • doof_doof
    Free Member

With BA’s new sporting equipment restriction of only 23kg, I want to re-distribute some of the weight into my carry on bag. I’m thinking of items such as rotors, chain, pedals, etc.

Has anyone run into problems with doing this? I imagine Hope saw tooth rotors might raise some eyebrows at the x-ray machine.

Digimap
    Free Member

Use your noggin, anything that could be construed as a weapon will get taken off you so not sure rotors or chain are a good idea. I’ve done pedals and seat in hand luggage. 23kg is still 50lb so that’s quite a hefty bike + bag.

bruk

Did this years ago when flying out to Canada for a couple of months. Was early nineties long before 911 etc, my hand luggage had cranks, chain, brakes, pedals, rear mech etc in it and weighed a ton.

I think your chances of getting large lumps of metal, some with sharp edges onboard are very slim now though.

Strange what they will let you take on though, my friend had a polo mallet taken off her (she’d been allowed it on the internal flight in NZ) but I was allowed on with a large piece of carved rock which could easily have been used as a club.

atlaz
    Free Member

Well for a long time, arrows were allowed on flights in the US but the bow wasn’t. Somewhere someone clearly assumed arrows were like bullets, mostly useless without a firing mechanism.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bike parts in carry on luggage – asking for trouble?’ is closed to new replies.