Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 207 total)
  • Bike Park Wales is go!
  • teenrat

It think its great, as less people will travel further down the M4 to the places i ride!

greeble
    Free Member

people have been riding the park early and strava’ing it too!!!

gwaelod

where does the Taff Trail link to it then….potentially this is rideable from my house.

ride up the taff trail to here
    http://goo.gl/maps/XmLGF
    as you go under the flyover turn left and up the footpath it goes up alongside the a470 then under the a470 you then go back on yourself. this will take you to the entrance to gethin. you can see it on the map link

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, people have been pulling the netting off trails and riding them, which is messing up the bedding in process and damaging the trails, Tools.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Dicks… (I won’t defend it, but a few times I’ve caught folks on closed trails that I’ve been working on and gave them the riot act, sometimes they genuinely are just dicks but generally they just don’t know they’re doing any harm… They think “the trail’s finished but just awaiting official opening” or “it’s just health and safety” or whatever.

So, I reckon signs that don’t just say “trail closed” but “trail still weathering, please be patient, it looks finished but it’s not ready to ride- wait til it comes out the oven” or something might help stop some of those guys.

And for everyone else, pit traps.

LoCo
    Free Member

The trails were covered in netting though, so they’ve gone to a fair bit of effort to put them off, took one of the trail guys a day to replace it all to give you an idea of how much had been moved.

https://www.facebook.com/BikeParkWales?hc_location=timeline

greeble
    Free Member

The names of some of the riders are on strava. One of the names is a bikepark employee who rode it to make the segment to catch others riding the same segment.
    You can even see the whole ride they did and follow them home. There are even comments asking how the ride at the bike park went etc etc

LoCo
    Free Member

😆 Dullards 😆

Northwind

LoCo – Member

The trails were covered in netting though,

Pit traps.

wrecker
    Free Member

The trails were covered in netting though, so they’ve gone to a fair bit of effort to put them off, took one of the trail guys a day to replace it all to give you an idea of how much had been moved.

WTF? What kind of disrespectful bellends would do that?

greeble
    Free Member

WTF? What kind of disrespectful bellends would do that?

check strava 😉

greeble
    Free Member

here’s one of them

deviant
    Free Member

….couple of planks right there!

greeble
    Free Member

another offender

and

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You do wonder why people do it…

ITS BLOODY SELFISH!!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

****s

innit_gareth
    Free Member

There’s four sh1t strava times right there

therag
    Free Member

We used 40 signs,10 rolls of orange bunding, 175 steaks plus used trees & rocks to close trails. Aprox 35 hours spent putting them up & refitting them.
    I set the segments on strava to see who was using it, most have removed their rides now tho.
    1 dick came down the freshly raked blue family trail on Monday in his full face & dh bike telling workers it’s the best trail he’s rode lol

gwaelod
    Free Member

Greeble

Thanks – I know where that is…cheers

cloudnine
    Free Member

175 steaks? Rumps, rib eye or sirloin?
    Id have thought T-bones would have worked well.
    No expense spared at bpw

Northwind

therag – Member

We used 40 signs,10 rolls of orange bunding, 175 steaks plus used trees & rocks to close trails. Aprox 35 hours spent putting them up & refitting them.

If you’ve got a 360 and a good stock of brash, it would only take about an hour at most to build a good pit trap. A little longer if you want to put spikes in the bottom but you could use the glentress variant, fill it with snakes and claim money back from the government for supporting wildlife.

LoCo
    Free Member

Not long now and just over the hil from us 😀

philwarren11
    Free Member

Same for me, in the other direction tho. lol.

Glad i booked on opening day uplift as well.

cookeaa

Ooooh I missed this thread first time round and I’ve Been waiting for Gethin to reopen…

Good excuse to plan a bit of a road trip and join it up with some other places.

Looks like I might get my long promised “free weekend” to go riding some time in September now…

So I’m quite tempted to book on the uplift for BPW, maybe chuck in a day at Cwmcarn and/or a detour Via UKBP on the way home make it an all DH weekend and leave my HT at home… Hmmm

greeble
    Free Member

or spend two days at bpw. it has nothing on cwmcarn

mattg123
    Free Member

I’m booked on the uplift on 16th Sept & have a 2 day pass from the wife so wanted to do a second day at the bike park. Annoyingly the lads I’m going with voted for day 2 at Afan, shame as we’ve all been there before…
    Either way I can’t wait 😀

cookeaa

or spend two days at bpw. it has nothing on cwmcarn

Did you mean Cwmcarn has nothing on it? 😀

I’m booked on the uplift on 16th Sept & have a 2 day pass from the wife so wanted to do a second day at the bike park. Annoyingly the lads I’m going with voted for day 2 at Afan, shame as we’ve all been there before…
    Either way I can’t wait

TBH I was originally thinking a bit of variety would be worth while by visiting a couple of different venues, as I’m in Reading using the M4 as the main route for such jaunts makes sense, less motorway time and more riding.

Before I was aware BPW was now open I was more than likely just going to have a HT day at Cwmcarn and then a 2nd day at Afan, not very imaginative I know but a nice trip none the less.

Now BPW is an option I sort of fancy sticking more to just DH riding and only taking the big bike, which I’ve not been getting to ride lately, rather than go to BPW and then Afan and then have to take my HT as well I reckon I’ll exclude AFAN it from my plans…

Basically I want to ride my DH bike as much as possib;le for 2 days, if there’s enough tto occupy my at BPW then I’ll do that but I had thought I’d look at doing BPW and then swinging by somewhere else (possibly something more familiar) on the way back for day 2…

I can imagine Cwmcarn won’t be as busy now, which might be a good thing if I’m a bit tired from day 1 at BPW, and then there’s UKBP a bit more of a detour south but I’ve not ridden there for a couple of years, they’ve apparently done lots of work and I’ve always liked the place and the people in the past, probably one to keep for another time.

Thinking more broadly what sort of scope would there be for similar regular uplift services and trail developments at some of the other older M4 corridor DH locations?
    Mtn Ash? Taff Buggy? Rheola maybe?

If Cwmcarn and Gethin can be seen as demonstrating the viability of uplift services in that particular area due to the good transport links, having the right terrain and pre-existing tracks with scope for further development can you imagine what that would be like, a chuffing huge draw for MTBers…

gwaelod
    Free Member

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – A chairlift using the Tower Colliery Winding gear to the top of the Rhigos to just where the Skyline goes past would be an awesome idea.

Downhill tracks all the way back to the Tower Colliery Bike Cafe.

greeble
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3NPYJZKcAkw[/video]

Northwind

I spy with my little eye, teh cure for post-alps blues… Wonder how many days’ holiday I have left.

therag
    Free Member

Yesterday we opened up 1 red trail & 1 blue trail to give all the volunteers that have helped us a taste of what’s to come.
    The park is still closed but opens this Saturday.
    This was filmed by Aberdare mtb group who helped with the build.

LoCo
    Free Member

Excellent, the only thing that film is missing is more jersey close ups 😉

Grizla
    Free Member

Man, they are FAST 🙂

Seriously though, it looks great.
    Hope to get down there some time.

therag
    Free Member

Loco, nice jerseys 😉

valleydaddy
    Free Member

yep the Jersey are ace 😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

A mate has just started working there. Can’t wait to find the time to go ‘visit’ him.

therag
    Free Member

Bottom half of a red, filmed by buzz, one of the volunteers

LoCo
    Free Member

Looking forward to riding it tomorrow 8)

deviant
    Free Member

Looks awesome, booked in for Monday 9th, looking forward to giving the hardtail a damn good thrashing!

ChrisI

Looking sweet. We’re booked in for Mon 26th, cant wait! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales is go!’ is closed to new replies.