Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)
  • Bike Park Wales is go!
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

The press release says…

designed to be enjoyed by mountain bike riders of all kinds from XC whippets to elite DH racers and everything In between with a real emphasis on trails that can be enjoyed on mid travel trail bikes.

I love a good climb but I also love improving my riding – these sort of places are great for that. You can repeat runs and gradually improve without having to do laps which can increase tiredness and risk injury.

Gawton is similar with HSD and Proper Job both red runs, you can rinse and repeat all day and its amazing how you improve in such a short time.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Are there no xc trails at all then ?

Yes. Was a tongue in cheek comment cos I would have liked to have tried the trails at the bike park as well as the other riding we will be doing.

ahwiles
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member

I feel you may have completely missed the point

i know, i was just responding to a post further up the page – debating the relative awesomeness (or not) of vans vs chairlifts.

philwarren11
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

Shame they couldn’t have inhereted the chair lift that used to be on the other side of the valley.

Was never a chairlift there, it was a button lift.

I got an opening day uplift booked, cant wait!

deviant
    Free Member

Sounds good, did an uplift day at the FoD and those criticising the idea are missing the point completely, its not an XC day out, you’re paying to get as many DH runs in as possible….a 5 minute van trip to the top and arrive fresh as a daisy or pedal uphill taking twice as long (at least) and get far fewer runs in that day?
    Its a no brainer for me if i’m going to a DH venue.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Its a no brainer for me if i’m going to a DH venue.

I think it’s a no brainer even for venue’s which aren’t full on DH they are worth it too (Although the definition of Full on DH will vary from people to people – Some say FOD doesn’t actually have any blacks). Bit like going skiing for a week and riding blues and reds – If Skiing was just doing blacks far less people would do it. This will make biking far more accessible.

joshbosh12
    Free Member

I always feel out of place when doing DH runs on a 125mm trail bike because most of the time they have sections that definitely wouldn’t feel so good on a trail bike below 160mm. I can’t imagine my bike on a trailer next to a Scott Gambler, sitting next to a guy wearing a full face, full body protection, whilst i’m wearing an average helmet and an XC kit.
    Will this become the first place (from what i know) where it doesn’t matter what bike you have, you can get the uplift without a DH bike and without feeling out of place?

mduncombe
    Free Member

Bit like going skiing for a week and riding blues and reds – If Skiing was just doing blacks far less people would do it. This will make biking far more accessible.

Come to think of it I am quite fond of skiing uphill as well, maybe its just me then 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Will this become the first place (from what i know) where it doesn’t matter what bike you have, you can get the uplift without a DH bike and without feeling out of place?

It doesn’t matter what bike you have on any uplift or chairlift, just stop caring what other people think (others on the uplift probably don’t even care what bike anyone else is riding) and have fun riding your bike…

scruff
    Free Member

Plenty of Trail/XC/Endurowhatever bikes on last few uplifts Ive been on -Cwmdown, Pearce, FOD & Antur. ‘DH’ is alot more inclusive than other forms of ‘traditional’ biking.

Eveyones always very friendly, helpful and respectful which is one of the reasons I have a DH bike.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

What I’ve found for a number of uplift days is some people who have massive £4k bikes and all the body armour to take on Bruce Willis in a Die hard film can’t actually ride as well as you’d expect 😉 This is something I was surprised about having thought that all people on uplifts were riding gods – totally changed my perception.

I’ve also met some sound people riding uplifts recently – both people riding full on DH rigs or like the guy I met recently from East Anglia who was riding Gawton in an XC lid and a bike which some may say was unsuitable but wasn’t at all. I was a little wary of uplifting on my own but have turned out to be some of the best days riding recently.

joshbosh12
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what bike you have on any uplift or chairlift, just stop caring what other people think (others on the uplift probably don’t even care what bike anyone else is riding) and have fun riding your bike…

I guess it’s the perception people tend to have. Just as i’d question someone riding the Twrch trail at Cwmcarn on fully pledged DH rig (i realise they’re two very different ideas)
    Plus i’ve been told many times before “your bike would break if you went down there”

Northwind

Bushwacked – Member

This is something I was surprised about having thought that all people on uplifts were riding gods

Even downhill racing has a huge range of skills- it’s just mountain biking, it’s not a higher plane or anything, just a different flavour. I mean, I do a fair bit of uplifts and some racing but I’m pretty ordinary on a bike.

I think this is a bit of a UK perception because uplift mostly equalled downhill. Even now with the likes of the nevis red, people still think it’s a “red dh” just because it’s lift accessed. Antur seems to be beating that perception a bit.

Maybe it’s not for everyone but it’s a shame to miss out, Innerleithen for example is fantastic on a trailbike, nevis wc is hard work but perfectly doable, Antur I’ve only done on a 5 inch bike and loved it. It’s funny, Innerleithen rides a lot like the trails we rode in/around Les Arcs and the Tarantaise, and when on holiday there everyone embraces the uplifts and the descending… But much the same thing over here is Not For Us.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I love a good climb but I also love improving my riding – these sort of places are great for that. You can repeat runs and gradually improve without having to do laps which can increase tiredness and risk injury.

Though that tiredness is also an indication of improving your riding. Just your up-hill riding, which let’s face it if you mean by improve – go faster – is where the gains are to be really made.
    But I am a sad old fart in this respect 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Eveyones always very friendly, helpful and respectful which is one of the reasons I have a DH bike.

Yep definitely, the uplifts at FOD are always friendly and a good day riding 🙂 I used to ride them on my old Trailstar and xc helmet, never (afaik) had anyone looking down their nose at me!

therag
    Free Member

Dh bike will suit the black trails, but the blues & reds are built for trail bikes. On An uplift day you’ll get to try out every trail, so next time you visit you can ride up the xc and down your favourite.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I still say a chairlift is the way to go, a lot of learning can be had from watching others ride the trail from above. A chair lift gives without doubt the best view for lines, speed of attack and all round trail planning. Plus its more fun than sitting in a sweaty van 😆

As for cost, its about commitment and not throwing good money after bad. Longevity is also the key providing more local jobs (installation, Maintenance and servicing). Also a chairlift can service a hell of a lot more people per hour than a van can.

There’s even a website selling 2nd hand ones (Have a look at 2.3-4258): – 2nd hand chairlifts

As one famous actor once said, build it and they will come.

core

I’m not sure what to make of the concept, trail centres aren’t for everyone, but personally, I’m not that keen on the idea of having uplifts for red trails, or having to ride the same climb repeatedly to get a decent days riding in. Mountain biking means lots of different things to lots of people, to me though I think I’d soon get bored, to me it’s more about adventure than repeated runs, and it’s nice to feel you’ve conquered something at the end of the day. For some I suppose that is improving your skills by doing repeated runs. One thing’s for sure, it’ll be busy!

mikey74
    Free Member

Don’t forget there would be a planning issue with a chairlift: It may be that the local council wouldn’t approve the installation of one.

therag
    Free Member

Or maybe because they cost about £4.9million more than mini busses?

wrecker
    Free Member

Bike parks aren’t trail centres and the red runs at BPW will have nothing in common with trail centre red trails.

mikey74
    Free Member

Or maybe because they cost about £4.9million more than mini busses?

Obviously, the cost is the prohibitive factor, but no one seems to have mentioned the fact that with all the money in the world, a chairlift still may not be viable.

therag
    Free Member

Hopefully the visitors it brings to Merthyr will warrant a chair lift one day.
    Just hope we get the promised rain in the next few days so the trails can get whackered.

zippykona

I thought they had just named the baby,sorry.

cubemeup
    Free Member

Anyone here payed for a yearly pass yet? I only live 8 miles away so I do qualify for the £40 yearly ticket so I can’t see me paying £75 and getting my monies worth

Northwind

Chairlifts would be great but it really doesn’t make a lot of financial sense…

I mean, I support the inners AIMUP proposal one in principle but in practice, even the low end of the cost estimate would pay to run the current uplift service for free, for about 10 years… Tally could buy a lot of minibuses with a million quid, with enough change to make the road go all the way to the top (without going halfway to Galashiels on the way)

therag
    Free Member

cubemeup – Member
    Anyone here payed for a yearly pass yet? I only live 8 miles away so I do qualify for the £40 yearly ticket so I can’t see me paying £75 and getting my monies worth
    POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

There’s a meeting tomorrow night in Pentrebach for local about this from 6:30pm. Check out the FB page for details

_tom_
    Free Member

I reckon uplift is better than chairlift for the UK. Mainly due to our weather, sitting on a slow chairlift in the rain and cold isn’t much fun, much rather be in a van tbh!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Rowan Sorrell is the director of BPW. That’s all the confirmation I need

Hmph! great eye for a line, but wait till it all falls apart within a year or three.

therag
    Free Member

Luckily we have a full time trail maintenance crew 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

😀 good! they’re going to be employed full time upkeeping his ‘vision’. Shame really, build a great trail, only for it to be destroyed by a combo of weather and numptys.

therag
    Free Member

Yeah, British weather hey, too wet to complete some jobs a few months ago, then frozen ground, now too dry. At least we can rely on getting the odd numpty 😉

cubemeup
    Free Member

Any idea how they will police the area if its £5 per rider? Sorry if its already been mentioned

therag
    Free Member

No idea sorry, I just hope the majority will be happy to pay to ride such a good network of trails, if not, the maintenance team will disappear along with the park in a few years.
    Strange how people don’t want to pay to enjoy this hobby ( myself included ) but will happily pay to play golf, go to the zoo or any other outdoor activity.

Northwind

I can see it ending like inners- ie, sure, you can push/ride to the top, but the first time the bus passes you halfway up while you’re sweating your balls off, you’re just like “**** this! I wouldn’t push this bike up a hill for £5, so why am I doing it to save £5? TO THE BUS!” Or likewise, you’re in the carpark at the end of the day, all like “Yeah I rode gold run and then I did matador and half of cresta and now I can’t be bothered to push back up” and your mates are all like “Yeah we did that… by 11am. And then we ate cakes on the bus” The higher cost option just sells itself if it’s good enough.

Lots of people refuse to pay parking at trail centres because they’re bellends, but hopefully you’d get a bit less of that (or equivalent) at a private location, less of a sense of entitlement.

walleater

Well if you can do it in Whistler you can do it anywhere! I’ve seen old people (i.e. even older than me) taking 80’s mountain bikes with racks and fenders on the Fitz lift. Easy Does It is pretty well just a fireroad down the mountain.

Euro
    Free Member

I can see it ending like inners- ie, sure, you can push/ride to the top, but the first time the bus passes you halfway up while you’re sweating your balls off, you’re just like “**** this!

I was at Rostrevor (our new trail centre) on Sunday in full XC mode and took advantage of the uplift along with the DH boys. Cost £3 and and saved about 15 mins of steep climbing. Yes, a bit of a lazy option but i still had well over an hour of climbing to do and it was rather hot. I don’t think i’d use it every time, but it’s great to have the option. Those 15 minutes saved were traded in against doing some of the best sections a few times until my tank was empty.

wrecker
    Free Member

Any idea how they will police the area if its £5 per rider?

I hope they do police it, and do it firmly. FFS someone has just built a £1.5m bike park, would people really try to get out of paying a fiver?

grum
    Free Member

Looks great. Not sure why people bother coming on this thread to explain why uplift is pointless and how they don’t like doing the same trails over and over. There’s loads of XC centres in Wales – can’t we just be pleased there’s something new and different on offer?

LoCo
    Free Member

On reflection, from reading this thread, it actually sounds rubbish and I won’t being going 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales is go!’ is closed to new replies.