Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike Park Wales – couple of questions
  • Lakes_Puma

Heading to BPW for the first time this Saturday, not had the foresight to pre-book the uplift so I’ll be relying on my own legs for the climb.

Does the car park get full, if so by what time?

Realistically how may climbs will I get in during the day?

Any tips to shorten the climb, I’ve heard of mixing the single track with the fireroad?

philwarren11
    Free Member

Car park does fill up but always room.

Ride as much fire road alongside singletrack. Push straight up the steep fire road to cut out singletrack at the start (but you wont save much time).

Session the top half a few times. All the top trails come down to the same fire road, so you can ride back up from there. So ride to the top, ride sixtapod to the fire road and turn right up the slight hill to rejoin the climb back to the top, same goes for any of the top trails.

Lakes_Puma

Cheers Phil

bombjack
    Free Member

Ride the fire road rather than the Beast of Burden trail and it’ll save a little time, its not a short push though! Last time I went I managed 3 full runs before I was goosed, although the last one was a full on xc style ride up rather than push and I managed visitors centre – BofB – Summit – Blues down – visitors centre in 45 mins ish.
    The steep push up bits are pretty rough, my personal hate is directed to the traverse across the summit from the fire road which was windy and raining (and not short!)
    BJ

weeksy

Don’t ride it at all… it’s really not a great plan.

Pay your £4 and uplift.

bigblackshed

You will be able to get on the uplift bus on pay-as-you-go. Might have to wait a bit, but it will certainly be quicker than riding up. Check the queue, if it’s busy ride up, if not bus up.

creamegg
    Free Member

Depending on fitness 4-8 full climbs / descents is realistic. More if you’re feeling fit.

I prefer to descend all the way to the bottom as otherwise the descents feel too short.

There are a few routes up with optional shortcuts. I wont go into the shortcuts but option 1 is the beast of burden. Ride it once if you want but I haven’t bothered the second time. I prefer the steeper climb up which starts at the same place as the beast of burden but stays on a wider track. Its steep with loose gravel for a short section then it eases off. The alternative is the main uplift route which is longer but less steep. I find the steeper one around 5 mins faster and takes me around 20-25mins at a medium pace (i.e. chatting on the way up)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

As weeksy and bigblackshed said, I wouldn’t waste your time riding up. I’m sure you’ll get on the uplift. I had no probs when I was there and I didn’t pre-book

creamegg
    Free Member

You will be able to get on the uplift bus on pay-as-you-go. Might have to wait a bit, but it will certainly be quicker than riding up. Check the queue, if it’s busy ride up, if not bus up.

Sometimes this approach can work out well, but you could be waiting at the uplift with only say 5 guys ahead of you. But by the time the bus turns up a large group of uplifters may turn up so you may have wasted 10 mins. It’s worth bearing in mind though and buying some one off uplift tickets though

bigblackshed

It’s worth bearing in mind though and buying some one off uplift tickets though

Have they introduced “tickets” recently. If so then that’s the way to go.

joefm

I tend to ride the top half and add in a few full descents later. After 3pm I usually get an uplift or two once my legs are feeling it.

I wouldnt bother with a DH bike there if you have a trail bike.

you would be very overbiked for everything except two runs and even those are pedally in places.

I used to race dragons there when it was known as Gethin and it was mostly a pedal fest. One of the most physically demanding on the calender.

creamegg
    Free Member

Have they introduced “tickets” recently. If so then that’s the way to go.

Not sure if its the only option but you can buy individual non-refundable uplifts which I think are valid for 12 months. One guy was moaning on Friday as he thought buying these tickets would give him a priority space on the uplift, which it doesn’t so bear that in mind too, especially on a saturday

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales – couple of questions’ is closed to new replies.