Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike Park Wales – Anyone not use the uplift?
  • SandCrab

Hi,

I was looking to head across to BPW to use up some spare annual leave but I noticed that the uplift is maxed. Is it worth going anyway and just riding to the top? Or should I wait out and head somewhere else?

Bike is a Soul.

Ta

Chris

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Theres a singletrack climb to the top, still worth going depending on how much you like climbing 🙂

Northwind

I have not been to BPW, but, I’ve ridden/pushed up at places where there’s also an uplift and it is a special type of soul destroying.

Often with uplifts it’s possible to get single runs when the bus isn’t completely full- the odds of which increase as the day goes on for obvious reasons 😉 Even injury and breakage aside the number of people that do a half day then go home is surprising. I don’t know how well that works at BPW.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oli31
    Free Member

if you’re there mid week you’ve a good chance of getting on the uplift on first come first served basis so worth taking some change

iolo
    Free Member
    spicer
    Free Member

I went for a day without using the uplift (I did queue for one journey).

The singletrack climb isn’t very fun, we all ended up just riding the fireroad- which gets pretty boring! I didn’t feel like the riding was worth the cost of the uplift or slog to the top, so am not hugely keen on heading back for a while! Thats just me though

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s fine without the uplift if you are not on a ‘sled’ and have basic fitness. Ah you have a Soul, no probs at all.

Don’t let lack of uplift stop you going.

This has been discussed several times, search is your friend.

The uplift saves energy, I’m not sure how much time it saves after waiting-loading-driving-unloading compared to riding up. When I was there a lot of people were standing waiting in the rain, I was happy to ride past them and keep warm. (Maybe someone who’s done both can advise).

Also it’s not obligatory to do top to bottom each run (it’s a big descent), you can for instance do loops around the bottom third which to my mind had the most fun trail sections.

Bear in mind the uplift pauses at lunchtime I believe.

SandCrab

Thanks for the replies, I’ll give it some thought. I’d not considered a natural ride but that is a good shout.

Ack on the lack of search, I got excited and dived straight in!

Chris

grum
    Free Member
    weeksy

30-40 mind quite dull fire road or a couple of min longer singletrack. Not too tough. Even at weekends you’ll get the odd uplift.

creamegg
    Free Member

25 mins to ride up (steepest fire road route rather than uplift route).
    Managed 8 runs, and you can pay £4 per uplift anyway subject to there being space so mix it up and do a bit of both.

J273
    Free Member

I went last week with no uplift. I did the fireroad climb a few times as i didn’t realize there was a singletrack climb?

Its not that bad tbh just a bit dull as mentioned. I did manage to get on the uplift a few times but this was mid week.

andyrm
    Free Member

Done this a few weeks back – stuck to the fireroad climb to preserve energy for the DH runs, CBA with the singletrack climb. It’s just the route to the top, nothing more.

stumpy01

We went before Christmas and didn’t use the uplift. My mate was on a Coiler and started to struggle on the climbs after a while. I was on my Stumpjumper FSR and it wasn’t too bad.

The bottom section of the climb is worse than the rest, so we did a few runs down to the halfway point and then back up from there, rather than bombing all the way down and slogging our way the whole way back up.

I didn’t feel like the riding was worth the cost of the uplift or slog to the top, so am not hugely keen on heading back for a while! Thats just me though

@ spicer

Where the hell do you normally ride if BPW doesn’t float your boat? I ride both Peaks and it looks fab to me – looking forward to 20 or so of us hitting it with uplift in a couple of weeks

weeksy

Where’s the invite?

spicer
    Free Member

Where the hell do you normally ride if BPW doesn’t float your boat? I ride both Peaks and it looks fab to me – looking forward to 20 or so of us hitting it with uplift in a couple of weeks

Not sure why I wasn’t too keen- I think I found riding down the same trails again and again a bit dull. I was on a 140mm full sus so found the blues “not enough” (fast though!), so stuck to the red and mainly blacks. But then I might as well just go to some more varied downhill trails if I’m doing mainly the blacks?

I did enjoy the trails and they’ve done a great job- just wasn’t as keen on riding them again and again. I’d probably have a different opinion on a smaller bike though!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales – Anyone not use the uplift?’ is closed to new replies.