Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike park wales accomodation
  • granny_ring

Looks like our plans to stay around Afan have changed and we’ll have to stay around bike park after a day there.
    I remember seeing a thread on here recently but can’t find it now.
    Probably 5 or 6 of us, Pretty sure Pemier Inn was mentioned in that thread, are there any pubs/eateries near by the Premier Inn?
    TIA

timmys

You’re probably thinking of the Travel Lodge in Merthyr Tydfil. It’s on a retail park containing a pub, Nandos, McDonalds, Subway, Harvester, etc. On the plus side they are completely blasé to people wheeling bikes through through the corridors.

snooze
    Free Member

Yes there is a Premier Inn very close to BPW in Pentrebach. I usually stay there and there is a restaurant on the site called Table Table, were you an get breakfast too.

mark90
    Free Member

Not used accomodation as live close enough for day trips but this place keeps popping up on my fb feed, looks quite nice…..

http://www.twintrails.co.uk/

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I’ve stayed at the Prince of Wales, a BnB on the back of a pub just over on the North East side of Merthyr. Its cheap and quite bearable if its only a night or 2. They have 3 or 4 rooms, so should be OK if they re not busy.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not wanting to diss Merthyr but it’s not much of a tourist destination.

If you can spare 30 mins either end of your day at BPW you could stay in Cardiff if you want Nightlife or Brecon if you want quiet spaces and views, nicer pubs too.

bubs

Travel Lodge appears to be where the Pros stay. I think we got it for something crazy like £34 a night. The room was better than expected too.

bintangman
    Free Member

Mountain biking in South Wales

I stayed here a couple of years ago. Its a great little Inn. Really good food and a nice little bar. About 2 miles south of BPW.

If you don’t mind staying a bit out of the grimness that is Merthyr, then Crickhowell is a nice little town – we stayed at the Dragon Inn

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tick

rascal
    Free Member

Went for first time weekend before last.
    We stayed at the Prem Inn which is a 2 min drive away.
    You know what you get – basic but comfy…bikes in rooms no probs if not too dirty though we left ours in car/van. The local oiks must know it’s a biker hot-spot though.
    Ok pub next door where you can get an eat-all-you-can breakfast for £9.

Merthyr town centre is a short taxi ride away…I wouldn’t bother though.
    I’m originally from S Wales and had an idea what the place would be like and it was worse.
    Loads of shouty pissed-up nobbers, shopping trolleys with people in, piles of puke and cops stood opposite one pub so clearly expecting something to kick off. Had a nice curry at Red Spice but the service was shockingly bad and it wasn’t busy.
    I won’t stay in Merthyr again when I go to BPW next.
    If there’s a good B&B option with a decent local pub out of MT I’d prefer that, or Cardiff would be a good shout.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

First time I stayed in the Castle hotel, that was a shit hole bordering on dangerous.

The next time me and a few mates booked a house through trip advisor but I daresay airbnb is just as easy.

A Guy called Nick and his house was spot on, we had loads of space, two showers and no issues for about £25 a head.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/13952788

Scamper
    Free Member

Last time we stayed in The Shed – basically a converted garage, but only sleeps four. £40 a night. Perfect and very nice with full Sky TV. The kitchen area does not have a hob, but Lynne let us use her kitchen in the house to cook up our curry – she makes great gin and tonics too! Friendly local pub just down the road.

Gotama
    Free Member

Nant Du (or however you spell it) Lodge is just up the road and is pretty good. Decent food and accommodation, hotel bar in the evening and a Jacuzzi/pool if you’re that way inclined. I quite enjoyed the Jacuzzi after a days riding in freezing rain 😀 Would definitely stay again.

barbs
    Free Member

Besides the above any ideas for a big group, around 15 of us? We usually stay at Green lanterns after a day at Afan but this time trying Cwmcarn before BPW so looking for something between the two. Coed Owen bunkhouse next to Nant Du looked ideal but unfortunately it’s already booked that weekend.

granny_ring

The plan was to go to Afan first and stay somewhere there then BPW second day but it’s fully booked on the day we wanted to having to do it in reverse.

We’re old farts so happy with pub food and beers close to hand, not too worried about ‘night life’ 🙂
    Looked at prem inn site and it says rooms have double and sofa bed, that correct?
    I’ll have a look at travelodge as well, but keeping bikes in the rooms would put our minds at rest too.

zilog6128

I always stay at the Travelodge, only 5 mins from BPW. It’s in the Merthyr leisure village so there’s plenty of (chain) restaurants and a pub that does 2-for-1 meals. Plus there’s bowling, cinema etc if that takes your fancy.

Never had a problem taking my bike into the room (the guy on the desk one time even said I could do that without me even asking!)

cookeaa

Is camping an option?

Me and a mate Rode Afan, then Camped over at the Forest park centre, packed up and drove the 40 mins to BPW the following morning, it was nice and quiet and so dirt cheap compared to a Prmeier inn…

cardo

Butchers Arms at Pontsyphalis is a great, bunkhouse and the owner looks a bit like Bob Carolgees…it’s about 15 mins out of Merthyr we stay there every time.

pat12
    Free Member

Last time we stayed in The Shed – basically a converted garage, but only sleeps four. £40 a night. Perfect and very nice with full Sky TV. The kitchen area does not have a hob, but Lynne let us use her kitchen in the house to cook up our curry – she makes great gin and tonics too! Friendly local pub just down the road.

Ahh good! Thanks for that, Just booked this the other day (via booking.com) for a couple of nights in Aug.

Spoke to Lynne and she seemed very helpful/nice, also said you can ride to BPW from the shed should you wish.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Speak to nick on Airbnb as per my post he has at least two houses in the same road, maybe more.

granny_ring

Cheers guys will look at the travelodge option too

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike park wales accomodation’ is closed to new replies.