Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bike Park Wales accommodation?
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

I’m sure there must be a thread or two on this but search button hasn’t found one!

Need clean n quiet hotel/b&b for night before uplift. Will need secure storage for the bikes etc.

Any other tips as it’s our first trip to BPW would be welcome.

Ta!

simon_g

We always use Pentrebach Premier Inn (south side of town, just down from the a470 roundabout). They don’t care about taking bikes in rooms, they have several people (at least) doing that every day.

bubs

We used The Travelodge in the nearby “leisure village” on Thursday night. £47 for each room, couple of beers in the bar/restaurant next door in the evening, McD’s breakfast over the road in the morning….but then we have always been a bit classy. Literally 5 mins from BPW and surprisingly quiet.

RicB

+1 for premier inn. No problems with bikes in room, friendly staff, pub is ok for food and beer plus the breakfasts are good

Give premier inn staff a call the day before to say you’re bringing bikes and they’ll make sure you get a ground floor room

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We stayed at the Rhymney House Hotel a few years ago,

It looked awful on approach and we wondered what it would be like inside,

Thankfully, it was friendly, helpful, clean but basic, food was great, beer was great, breakfast was superb and it was all in less than £60 each including all the food and beer!

Staff were more than accommodating with is bringing bikes inside too.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

We used Gethin lodge. Really good accommodation. Secure bike lockup and a pizza oven.

http://www.gethinlodge.com

cyclelife
    Free Member

Cheers guys will have a look at those suggestions!

granny_ring

Same as bubs, would stay there next time we go to BPW. We ended up leaving the bikes in the cars in the end but others on here have said you can leave in the bedrooms?
    Pub next door was good.
    Can get a fry-up at the Harvester in the morning. 🙂

muddy247
    Free Member

Highly recommend the Twin Trails B n B, minutes away from BPW- secure inside bike storage and friendly family run setup

teethgrinder

Travelodge for me, some other mates use Taff Trail Bunkhouse

antares
    Free Member

Another shout for Twin Trails. Bikes are kept in the house and the woman cooks a nice full English

AlexSimon

We stayed at YHA Brecon (not actually in Brecon).
    Cheap, nicer class of people and super-friendly staff.
    About a 20min drive.

bigblackshed

Prince Charles NHS Hospital.

Take a tumble, call an ambulance. Maybe a helicopter?

The food wasn’t up to much, the beer was non-existent, but the morphene was good!

thepodge
    Free Member

We use castle hotel, probably not as nice as a chain hotel but putting money back into local pockets and that’s what merthyr really needs.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Service is good at Prince Charles, even just as a walk-in. One of the shortest waits I’ve had. Classic is one look from the nurse, a knowing grin, “Bike Park?” 😀

gwaelod
    Free Member

This place is tidy for Roadies or MTBs

Welcome to The Grange Guesthouse

Facilites for bikes http://thegrangecefncoed.wales/?page_id=217

Any other tips as it’s our first trip to BPW would be welcome

Take plenty of tubes if your aren’t tubeless (I actually didn’t puncture yesterday, but had 6 last time.

Take plenty of dry clothes. It was foul yesterday and quite often is. Still really grippy in most places though.

Don’t be afraid to try a trail a grade above what you’re used to.

As for accommodation, we’ve stayed at the Premier Inn, Crickhowell and camped near Abergavenny to do Black Mountain on Sunday. Not much use to your question I guess

cyclelife
    Free Member

Again, thanks everyone!

alaric

I’d second the recommendation for The Grange. Nikki and Gethin have put a lot of thought into making the B & B experience as good as possible. As well as everything you’d expect they have a cellar full of local Craft Beer and Cider

daver27
    Free Member

Use the travelodge and book an accessible room, you can take your bike in the shower then.

Not that I’ve done that before… 😆

jonnyv
    Free Member

This place was excellent and Peter is a superb host https://abnb.me/EVmg/zL0od35TWG

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales accommodation?’ is closed to new replies.