Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike Packing/Touring Types – Sleeping bags
  • joespencer33
    Free Member

Evening all!
    Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for decent lightweight and crucially small pack size sleeping bags.
    I was after an Alpkit Pipedream 250 but they’re out until July.
    So anything like that would be ideal.
    Preferably down but not essential.
    Looking at around £130 (up to £160 if I can get it from Cotswold).
    As for temperature rating limit down to around -1.5 should be fine as I’m only summer camping.

Cheers!

dknwhy

Cumulus bags? Bit more than your budget though I’m afraid.

niksnr
    Free Member

What are you sleeping on? Ive just done Wales C2C offroad over 4 days. Slept on an Exped Synmat UL7 rated down to about -5. Bought a Top Quilt from UK Hammocks £150. This set up worked perfectly for me under a tarp an Alpkit Hunka XL. I’m 6’1 and 13.5st so not slight by any means. Down packs a lot smaller and if you can get away with a quilt even smaller still!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thenorthwind

Vango Venom 200/300 is a good budget bag. Supplement with cheap down jacket if necessary (more flexible).

joespencer33
    Free Member

I’ll be on a thermarest but off for 6 weeks (plus any future ventures) so want to be comfortable.
    I have a lightweight down jacket but would prefer to not have to layer up at night given its for quite a long period.

BadlyWiredDog

As for temperature rating limit down to around -1.5 should be fine as I’m only summer camping.

Is that UK summer? To be honest, minus 1.5? seems a little drastic if it is as well as very precise… or do you know something we don’t…

fwiw, sleeping bag ratings are confusing. Comfort is just an average person feeling, well, comfortable. Limit of comfort is the lowest temperature your theoretical average person feels comfortable. Extreme will basically stop you dying, but with no comfort taken into account.

thenorthwind

Is that UK summer? To be honest, -1.5? seems a little drastic if it is… or do you know something we don’t…[/quote]

I’ve highlighted the important word.

Unless you sleep very warm, that seems like a sensible rating to go for.

BadlyWiredDog

Unless you sleep very warm, that seems like a sensible rating to go for.

See my edit above, it depends a bit on which temperature rating the OP means. There’s a big difference between the extreme rating for a bag and the comfort one. It also depends on how smart you sleep, whether you combine the bag with a lightweight down top for example, wear a hat, what mat you use etc. And how warm you sleep.

joespencer33
    Free Member

That was based off the alipkit rating. (Comfort 4 deg, limit -1.5, extreme -8).
    It’s going to be a bit of a spread of weathers from Germany, to Greece then Sweden/Norway hence the need for it to go a little cooler than for UK.

BadlyWiredDog

That makes sense. I’m not sure much else out there is going to compete wth Alpkit on price/warmth/weight balance – the Rab equivalent, Neutrino 200, is around £220. MHW’s Lamina series bags are good synthetic options, but not as light as the down alternatives.

Cotswold sells the Montane Featherlite for £170 – here – not as light as the Alpkit but slightly warmer on paper and Montane’s bags are decent, though they don’t get a lot of publicity. I’ve used the Prism synthetic bag and it was fine, though I’ve not used a Featherlite.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike Packing/Touring Types – Sleeping bags’ is closed to new replies.