Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike-packing the GR5 Part 5 (an epic day)
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Ok one week on and i’ve got day 5 done (there are 9 by the way if anyone is following the full set), this one took a while as a lot happened this day and there were so many good photos to edit and upload to the site!

We hit our highest point of the trip which was 2699m on Le Col Girardin and passed through the village of Maljasset which is lost deep in L’Ubaye and is a village I would highly recommend passing through if you are ever in the area! We also found an epic camp spot after being displaced by a bunch of german 4×4 enthusiasts? Yeah random. Anyway, enjoy…

Day 5 – Lac Mirroir – Col de Mallemort

Overview

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

oliverracing

Truly epic and fantastic views! I had spotted that fort as a potential camp spot, I also remember seeing how few shops there were along that section of route!

Looks like there is the potential for me to do this section in late July so hopefully will have the weather you had!

LittleNose
    Free Member

simply stunning and very inspiring – not sure I’ll be bikepacking anytime soon, but will be heading off on faux-wilderness rides this summer

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Cheers Little Nose, what have you got planned? Where do you think you will be heading?

Oliver – I’m glad you’ll get to do it, the best descents we did were in these next few days! The best… as in one of the best of my life is on Day 8 so watch out for that ;).

In retrospect we thought it might be a bit spooky camping in the fort haha, also it was in shade pretty early in the evening, the other side of the col was nice and sunny :).

As for shops, you’ll get food in Maljasset at the Auberge (no shop though), then there is a guy that sells enough food to make yourself a simple breakfast, lunch and dinner at Fouillouse as shown in my pic but it is expensive of course. There is b*ggar all at L’arche! There is a real nice old rustic cafe at Bousiéyas and then you’ll get yourself a decent Pizza in St-Dalmad-Le-Selvage (this is a seriously nice little village btw). However the next shop was not until St-Étienne-de-Tinée which is a proper town with all you need!

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Cheers Little Nose, what have you got planned? Where do you think you will be heading?

Oliver – I’m glad you’ll get to do it, the best descents we did were in these next few days! The best… as in one of the best of my life is on Day 8 so watch out for that ;).

In retrospect we thought it might be a bit spooky camping in the fort haha, also it was in shade pretty early in the evening, the other side of the col was nice and sunny :).

As for shops, you’ll get food in Maljasset at the Auberge (no shop though), then there is a guy that sells enough food to make yourself a simple breakfast, lunch and dinner at Fouillouse as shown in my pic but it is expensive of course. There is b*ggar all at L’arche! There is a real nice old rustic cafe at Bousiéyas and then you’ll get yourself a decent Pizza in St-Dalmad-Le-Selvage (this is a seriously nice little village btw). However the next shop was not until St-Étienne-de-Tinée which is a proper town with all you need!

jam-bo

ah, i’ve just put 2 + 2 together. were you marshalling at southern enduro this weekend?

You spoke to my mate about his ibis linkages. Did he get hold of you?

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Jam bo I was indeed! I never saw him again but feel free to put us in contact!

tonto
    Free Member

Come on anus, where is the next installment?

Dickyboy

Come on anus, where is the next installment?

+1

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another great read, outstanding photos too 🙂

Search for “otherwise” and replace with “other side”

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Sorry boys and girls! I’ve been out and about riding too much recently, not had time to write the next one.

I’m doing it now, will try get it done for tomorrow 😀

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

And cheers for the spelling mistake jambalaya, fixed it 😉

ahsf
    Free Member

Great read and epic trails, you must be an awesome ride.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

ahsf… I think I know who you are hiding behind you sneaky username 😉

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

There you go Tonto and Dickyboy, I have finished the next instalment! 😉 🙂

tonto
    Free Member

Another excellent installment too!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike-packing the GR5 Part 5 (an epic day)’ is closed to new replies.