Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike packing – On one scandal 29er
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

I’m currently in the process of fitting out my On One Scandal 29-er for bike packing and i wanted to see if anyone had any experiences of doing the same?

I’m looking for recommendations on:
    – A seat bag
    – A bar bag & top tube bag

I’m only ever planning on doing 1-2 nights so i’m going to try and get away without a frame bag, is that realistic?

Thanks

scotroutes

I easily manage 3 nights or so with no framebag – and that’s in a non-competitive environment.

There are loads of threads on here featuring soft luggage; you’ll get proper user reviews if you search through them.

A small backpack might be a useful addition, even if it’s just for carrying food and/or a spare layer of clothing.

Gas tank/Fuel tank/Bento box/Feed bag style bags are handy for camera/snacks/tools etc.

My stuff is all Revelate. At the spendy end of the spectrum but well reviewed, used extensively and with great support. Available from backcountrybiking in Aviemore.

Wildcat/Alpkit/Apidura are all out there too.

faustus

I’m just building up a scandal 29er for the same purposes! Set up fairly light and rigid with krampus fork. I’ll be using a blackburn handlebar roll (which has a nice and neat fitting) and alpkit feedbag, gas tank, and saddle bag, and will be adding in cargo cages on the fork into the mix at some point. None of it too spendy.

Scotroutes – looking tidy, how’s it ride B+ and is there decent clearance in the rear?

scotroutes

Sorry – that’s not a Scandal, just showing off my bags 😳

faustus

oops! me should have known better 🙂 Looks tidy anyway!

eightyeight
    Free Member

non-competitive environment

Competitive bike packing? Crikey… 😀

Thanks for pointers, i definitely fall into the buy once, buy well camp. Can i ask what specifically those bags are? I’ve been reading loads of review, and as with all these things they start to be less helpful the more you look at!

Fastus – i’m riding mine as a hard tail, but i’ll def take look at the blackburn bar roll. Would be good to see some pics?

scotroutes

Competitive bike packing? Crikey… [/quote]HTR550, TDR etc. How little folk carry never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for pointers, i definitely fall into the buy once, buy well camp. Can i ask what specifically those bags are? I’ve been reading loads of review, and as with all these things they start to be less helpful the more you look at!

From front to back…Sweetroll (medium), Gas Tank, Jerrycan, Viscacha (all Revelate). An advantage in buying from one supplier is that straps all fit with each other. Mixing and matching might get you a better range of features but straps can start to interfere with each other.

faustus

Afraid mine’s not complete yet, and in a shed I don’t have easy access to at the mo (it’s complicated – i live on a boat!). Will do when I get a chance. The blackburn roll has a QR block on the handlebar that holds the whole roll tightly and keeps it away from the cables/hoses and not much strapping needed. It comes with tough dry bag too that has a velcro patch to stop it moving around, and plenty of points to strap other stuff to it. It’s a good price at the mo, but i’ve hardly used it yet so don’t know if anybody else has better experience of it?

johnnystorm

I use revelate kit as above. It’s probably….

Viscacha under the saddle
    Sweet roll on the bars with a pocket bag
    Jerry can and Fuel tank on the top tube
    Feedbag (s) on the bars/stem

It is pricey but to an extent worth the premium. I didn’t find my alpkit gear anywhere near as well thought out or stable.

Bikepack.eu is worth looking at, it’s sourced from Poland so the price is good but I think it works better than alpkit. I use it on my commuter bike.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, a full suite of revelate looks like it could be worth considering.

I currently need a new seat post and general service so once I have got that done I can get cracking. Will try and get some picture up once I’ve done it.

The wife is going to get the pinnacle arkose 2 with some panniers fitted so she can join me on a bike packing weekend (plus for general road riding). Again, i think that looks like a good choice, but welcome any contrary opinions warning me otherwise.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I have a wildcat full frame bag for a 18″ scandal that I need to sell.

If you’re interested. Either way, wildcat gear is really good. Easily as good as revelate. If not better IMO.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I think that’s the same size as mine, i will check tonight. How much you looking for? Will you take swapsees for a pair of unused large 661 riot knee pads (worth a shot…)

[/quote]If not better IMO.

Completely objective, obviously 😆

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

On One scandal – Yes
    29er – No !
    unused 26er that does the job nicely 🙂 … pictured with alpkit drybags just strapped on, home made frame bag, now running 3 trees handlebar harness but no pics of this fitted

eightyeight
    Free Member

Nice set-up. Those front fork bidon holders are quite spiffing.

I guess tire choice will be quite important. I currently have Race King 2.2s on mine, but might look at going down to 2.1 or 2.0.

scotroutes

My bikepacking rig wears 3″ front and rear.

faustus

I’ve gone for fast rolling and tubeless above size or weight for mine. Have a choice of Maxxis Ikon and geax AKAs at the mo. Mine’s going to be doing more distance work than tech, so don’t want a draggy tyre.

thomthumb
    Free Member

£60 posted for the bag. Email in profile of you want some pics. Cheers

scotroutes

When doing long distance on rough terrain, comfort is also an issue. Higher volume tyres can offer a bit more cushioning. Very dependent on surface though so all approaches have their place.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike packing – On one scandal 29er’ is closed to new replies.