Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike packing kit
  • charliemort

Look for a bar bag, tail pack and frame bag. alpkit seem to be out of stock (as usual)

Where else to look – wildcat gear looks good? Alpidura?

Thanks

scotroutes

Wildcat
    Apidura
    Revelate
    Blackburn
    Madison
    Ortlieb
    Porcelain Rocket

Tons of it out there now.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Skip Api seat pack. It wobbles as heck 🙁

Will find link to video in my archives and post it here.

I recommend Triglav stuff. Very well made, bullet-prof and smartly designed.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/triglav.bikepacking

Cheers!
    I.

whitestone
    Free Member

Apart from the list above there’s two schools of thought for handlebar bag and seat pack:

1) integrated mounting system and bag
    2) mounting system with separate dry bag

Some prefer one, some the other. I prefer separate systems. Most of my stuff is from Wildcat with the remainder from Alpkit.

There’s a few posts on here about this plus there’s the Bearbones forums which are more specifically about bikepacking. Both Scotroutes and myself frequent there.

charliemort

Cheers Whitestone – yes, as I delve into the murky depths of bike packerdom I see there are 2 approaches. My previous dry bag and 2 straps from Halfords was a pain – and scratched my frame!

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Bikepacking defo means scratches on the frame.

You just need to protect frame with heli-tape or likes…

Cheers!
    I.

whitestone
    Free Member

Helitape or similar is a must!

No one right way – I vary what I use depending on what I’m doing. A 200Km ITT might see me with seat harness + 8L bag and a couple of stem cells but a gentle ride to a winter bivy will be handlebar harness + frame bag + seat harness with 11L bag as well as a Camelbak.

richardthird

I did TNR last year with a slightly modified Alpkit Airlok Tapered drybag, was great. Cheap, light, solid as a rock.

Scotland this year, want a bit bigger/more flexible so a separate harness & drybag. Was going for Wildcat but just can’t stomach the price so have just ordered a Blackburn, comes out just over £55 including a tapered drybag.

I wouldn’t use their front harness though, but I use an old school handlebar bag up front. I also avoid frame bags as they get in the way of large water bottles and those top tube bag things swing about and also just get in the way.

steezysix
    Free Member

Alpamayo designs stuff is really good, based out of Bath and really easy to deal with. I’ve got a bunch of their stuff, it’s all well designed and high quality, just waiting for their bar harness to come back into stock and I’ll have a full set!

simonbea
    Free Member

I like the alpamayo stuff, when I got a cockpit bag they chucked in a stem pouch thing which was a nice freebie

montgomery
    Free Member

Keep the receipt on the Blackburn seatpack, I met a guy who had one fail inside a week (the stitching on the saddle rail straps). Alpkit have their new Big Papa bags in stock – I just got one to replace a knackered KTM bag. They also have Possums (in large, at least) which are good.

Nobody’s mentioned Restrap yet, I quite like the ‘gimp suit’ styling of their stuff. No idea how well it functions.

I like to keep lines clean, not a bunch of little bags and pouches hanging off everywhere, but there is no right way. I’m happy enough wearing a small rucsac. others aren’t.

FOG

I find the Alpkit Koala too swingy even with relatively light stuff in it. I actually had to stop at a car spares shop and buy a bungee to keep it in place on the first trip I made with it. Since then I have used various combinations of dry bags strapped to bars and seatpost. The Koala is sat in the spare room unloved.
    I am not anti Alpkit I have got loads of their other stuff which I like , just the Koala doesn’t work for me

cannyj
    Free Member

Was just looking at Lomo bags. Originally made motor cycling bags. Looks good an cheap!

postierich
    Free Member

Its all about packing the Koala the right way anything heavy in first the rest and make sure its packed tight!

jaminb
    Free Member

I bought the wild cat harness and seat pack, I was so please with the performance I requested the frame bag for xmas. All brilliant gear – wouldn’t want anything else for bikepacking with a mountain bike. Have used the seat pack and frame bag on the Arkose with success to – yet to try the harness but think it might be a struggle to fit on drop bars and narrow forks.

Beware if you value your paint and cable outers use duct tape and cut up inner tubes to protect the frame.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch Triglav with a barge pole.
    Great look in kit, but you’ll never get your order made.
    I ordered a fair bit of kit from them last May, and depicted them showing me pics of the completed kit in September, they never sent it out..
    The guys a compete shitehawk imho…
    kept promising to get it sent.
    He never did.
    *Rant over*

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have an Alpkit Kanga handlebar harness I was going to sell if you’re interested?

Only used it twice (couple of coast to coasts). Only reason I’m selling is sheer vanity. It is orange and every other thing I have from Alpkit is red and this messes with my OCD

Could do you a (red) 13 litre drybag too?

damascus
    Free Member

I came across this while searching for new bags. Fully waterproof, uses drysuit material and glued seems.

They are all hand made and look like works of art. Only problem is the cost

A couple of great videos

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=695176250620962&id=487242381414351

On Sun, 17 Jul, 2016 at 6:56, lucy russjan
    <onedaybag@gmail.com> wrote:
    The price is’ :
    saddle bag 17 liter – 195 euro.
    saddle bag 12 liters – 185 EUR
    The price of shipping 25 euro.
    Lucy

https://www.facebook.com/Rusjanbag/

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike packing kit’ is closed to new replies.