Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike packing bags
  • Merak

I just don’t get it. Strap an oversized saddle bag onto your bike, don’t use a mudguard so it can catch all the detritus from your rear tyre.
    Strap another one to your top tube or down tube in an 80’s style so the straps can rub all your paint off and interfere with your pedaling.

Why don’t you just use panniers?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Panniers are heavier. Strapping stuff to your bike evenly spaces the weight over your bike better, and you don’t have big daft rattley pannier racks that can get stuck on things.

scotroutes

FWIW I often use a mudguard with my Bikepacking bags.

aP
    Free Member

Stop you carrying too much.

tjagain

I am unconvinced by “weighs less” when you have several bags strapped on – depends if you are comparing it to ortleib panniers which do weigh a ton or something nice and light. Personally I cannot stand bar bags the way they ruin handling. Panniers are also lower – but wider. and move the weight backwards, Frame bags are great, I can’t stand riding with a rucksac either

aP
    Free Member

Small bags, take less stuff, weighs less.
    Also when you ride long fast distance- less wind resistance.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Can also be much cheaper if you are willing to just piece together bits and pieces, you don’t need to buy expensive bags specific bags, and things will stay nice and tight if they are just bungeed on. it’s pretty easy just to bungee a tent to the top tube for example, any bag over the bars, and something to the seat rails..

scotroutes

The other issue with panniers is that they can get in the way on narrow tracks, through rocks and bushes etc – and also sometimes when you’re pushing. They can make some sense on roads of course.

We’re seeing an increasing number of LEJOGers using bikepacking soft luggage now too. Mostly because you’re not restricting your choice of bike frame to something that has rack mounts on it. That means fast, lightweight carbon and Ti stuff. Really, you have to look at the overall package.

None of the bags I’ve ever used have “interfered with my pedalling” either, though that can be a problem with some racier bikes and racks as your heels rub on the panniers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so there is an advantage to being a man of your stature

Still happy to use panniers on a road trip but off road no thanks

tjagain

Of road its a trailer for me. But then its for two of us

scotroutes

Yeah, trailer makes some sense on road but is an unnecessary encumbrance off road (in this country). However, the “official” MTB Leadership expedition module still involves trailers. Based on that alone I’d call into question the rest of the scheme.

tjagain

scotroutes – not when its two peoples kit 🙂 Can’t get it all in bags even with frame bags.

Its one of those ” it all depends on the compromises you want to make” issues. Compromises with all methods – ie bikepacking bags rise the COG, trailers add weight, panniers get hung up on things and move the COG backwards

scotroutes

Take two bikes. It’s not complicated 😉

I know where you’re coming from TJ, but trailers are too restrictive. The HT550 has been done with a Tandem and soft luggage.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike packing bags’ is closed to new replies.