Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike or Food
  • stocker
    Free Member

I am sitting at home ill and bored and have a conundrum.

I have placed a deposit on a new road bike and need to pay the rest off before I get my hands on it. I could buy it next week when I get paid but may have to sacrifice eating and spending for the next month if I do or I could wait a month to ensure I have enough money for both the bike and general living, but that would be too sensible.

What have you sacrificed in order to get a new bike?

GrahamS

What have you sacrificed in order to get a new bike?

Our lodger.

loum
    Free Member

goats

bol

Couldn’t you have just borrowed it from him GrahamS?

GrahamS

No, I sold him for parts on eBay and used the money to buy a bike.

kcal

makes sense, usually get more for the individual bits than the whole..

you *were* talking about bikes, no? 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Do it quite a lot tbh sometimes Tesco Value beans and XTR is the only way

JPR
    Free Member

Good cheese and Deore is the way forward.

(The extra weight helps you burn more calories)

mountainman

I was weighing up petrol in tank against finishing my singlespeed build,going to try using bike two days a wk then new bike will come quicker,trouble being, means eat more food,is food cheaper than petrol ???

iDave
    Free Member

I sold a Lowden acoustic guitar (made in Ireland) to buy a Tomassini road bike. I shouldn’t have.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Sacrifice the food.
    Proper roadies are skinny bas….ds.
    Can you still afford the compulsory epo? 😀

momo

Booze! I gave up drinking for a few months when I was a student to finance my s-works frameset.

vinnyeh

This is the problem with families really.

As a youthful singleton I used to be able to quite easily justify a week or so on beans and soup if I really wanted something- it’s damned near impossible to persuade your wife and kids to participate in these character building exercises.

tomhoward

I’m currently on homemade thai chilli noodles (egg noodles, soy sauce and proper thai sweet chilli sauce, costs about 55p a meal) and soup (for a couple of my 5 a day) plus anything I can grab from the ‘going out of date today’ section at the supermarket in order to pay for an XTR groupset for my Intense.

It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it.

Should mention, Ive already bought said groupset, so I actually have to do the poverty food thing, rather than a ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ type thing, as I can never stick to those, always end up prolonging them.

stocker
    Free Member

A fellow reduced section hunter Tom, got to love those deals. Once lived off the reduced section for a week and its surprising the range of goods you get/combine to make a meal.

tomhoward

Yup, got my best deal in a while the other day, nearly 2lbs of fillet steak for under a fiver 😀

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The reduced section introduced me to baked beans, spring rolls and coleslaw. Deli-licious.

leiyduo
    Free Member

You’re ill now, so you’d better wait to the next month for the bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m currently on homemade thai chilli noodles (egg noodles, soy sauce and proper thai sweet chilli sauce, costs about 55p a meal) and soup (for a couple of my 5 a day) plus anything I can grab from the ‘going out of date today’ section at the supermarket in order to pay for an XTR groupset for my Intense.

It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it. It’ll be worth it.

Till the first rock rips the mech to pieces…

tomhoward

mikewsmith – Member

Till the first rock rips the mech to pieces…

ssshhhhhh!!!!

finbar
    Free Member

If you eat crap food for a month you’ll still be ill.

(sorry, sensible hat on today)

stocker
    Free Member

On the subject of reduced when a Sainsburys opened near me the local Co-ops reduced section increased 10 fold. You could get anything for very cheap, however I think they have now adjusted their stock orders to reflect the impact of the Sainsburys as the quantity of reduced has declined.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike or Food’ is closed to new replies.