Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike on Virgin trains – in a case or "as is"?
  • globalti
    Free Member

I’ve booked to take the roadie down to Laaandon on Saturday for the Prudential 100 miler. Now beginning to wish I hadn’t as the forecast is dodgy and I’m getting paranoid about security on the train and at the hotel between checkout and going for our train home and worried about getting it on the train. We’ve got a bike booking reference but I’m beginning to think it would be better to pack it in the dhb travel case I have, which measures 25 x 80 x 110 cms. Just how much space is there in the guard’s van part of a Pendolino and will they accept the bike case when the bike can’t be hung from the hook?

Two phone calls to Virgin Trains have left us none the wiser.

damitamit
    Free Member

Where are you coming from?

I dont think there’s hooks in the pendolino. It’s a recessed area in the guards van where you strap your bike again the wall with a seatbelt. Like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliveandrews/5457506949/

I’ve used it from Manchester a few times and haven’t been too worried. What carriage are you in? I’ve seen bikers pop out of the door at each station and check if 1. the guard van is being opened 2. if someones walking of with their bike.

You could just put ur bike bag in that space in the photo.

Chew
    Free Member

Just take it as is.

On Virgin trains (well the West Coast mainline) its a separated locked compartment for bikes, which will only be opened at the appropriate station. Your bike will be fine.

Cant comment on the case situation.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its a bike, chuck it in the guards van chat to the guard so he registers you as the owner, kick back in your seat and enjoy your weekend.

You could be super cautious and jump out the train every stop to check its not been spirited away but in all seriousness who is going to be buying a train ticket on the off chance they can nick a bike. In a bag or box its going to be at the mercy of whatever its stacked with and a bike bag is a much more attractive steal than a bike surely?

OR you could lock your bike in the guards can.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

When I looked into taking a bike on Virgin, I was advise that the bike should be safe in the train but to take a decent lock to lock it to the rail so it can’t be nicked!

globalti
    Free Member

Well the box is pretty bulky, like a suitcase on steroids, so is going to be a lot less attractive to a thief than a £2500 carbon roadie! Most people won’t even know there’s a bike inside it. There’s also the question of security when leaving the bike in the hotel luggage room between checkout time and heading off for our train back to Preston.

The other advantage is that I can load the bike box up with track pump, helmet and some Crud guards in case the forecast really takes a turn for the worse.

sputnik
    Free Member

I would use the bike box every time, would still take a lock to secure it in the van though.

project
    Free Member

Yo do know there are no trains through watford junction, trains cut short at milton keynes and other places, and bikes dont go on the coaches, due to damage to passengers luggage from oil etc.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/updates/

project
    Free Member

Pedant hat on, all trains travel UP to london

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Ive taken my mtb in a bike bag on the virgin train a few times. always park it where the disabled table is at the front of the second carriage (in 1st) the bike carriage is right at the back and ive always been a bit conscious anyone could just get on at one of the stops and walk off with it! there’s nowt to lock it up to either, itll probably be fine but and id rather not be worrying about it the whole journey. different if your gonna ride it at either end like!

as for hotel, just bang it in your room.

tomhoward

When I looked into taking a bike on Virgin, I was advise that the bike should be safe in the train but to take a decent lock to lock it to the rail so it can’t be nicked!

This, though i was told, on east coast, that I wasnt allowed to lock the bike to anything. This advice was ignored.

globalti
    Free Member

Having once watched a bloke get off a train with my suitcase, which I had been forced to leave in the entrance area, I’m nervous about this kind of thing!

(I chased him out of the station and he dropped it as soon as I caught up with him.)

monksie
    Free Member

I’ve travelled lots on Virgin with my bike. I’ve booked it on (highly recommended if not essential) and I get return tickets for it. The bike goes in the locked guards van. They wouldn’t allow me to lock the bike to anything but then again, the guard had to unlock the van and despite us on one occasion having a right old chat on the Euston to Stockport train about the SDW I’d just done, he insisted on seeing my ticket for the bike before he would open the guard van.
    I like taking my bike on Virgin trains.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike on Virgin trains – in a case or "as is"?’ is closed to new replies.