Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike on train – Edinburgh to Glasgow
  • daveb
    Free Member

Anyone done this, is it easy enough or a complete pain?

I work over in the west of Glasgow and rather than drive the whole way there or drive part/cycle part I am thinking about cycling to Waverley station, bike on train and then cycling the rest at the other end. Anyone got experience of bike on train duing rush hour, is it easy enough or is the section for bikes quite full?

\Thanks

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yip – never had a problem in 4 years. Be even easier getting on at Waverly – given that most bikes get on at Haymarket.

poly
    Free Member

I occasionally get on at Linlithgow in rush hour with no bike and sometimes you would struggle to get a bike on (spaces already full – or full of people and bags etc). However there does always seem to be people on that service with bikes so others are doing it from Haymarket or Waverley. If I was in your shoes I would consider either a folder or two cheap bikes that you lock at each end. But it depends exactly which train you get on as the 07:15 is much quieter than the 07:45 IME.
    A friend was commuting Ed. to Glasgow and discovered the cheapest way was actually on the Cross Country (?) service from Waverley to Glasgow Central booked in advance rather than Scotrail. Not sure if it takes bikes – but it is also much less busy. The service is infrequent though.

daveb
    Free Member

Pretty sure the cross country service takes forever, it will probably be the 7am train as I need to get over to Clydebank, changed/showered and at my desk for about 9am.

I think you need t get on a certain carriage if you have a bike, not sure though, will find out tomorrow morning.

gordimhor

The rush hour trains often had no space for bikes by the time they got to Falkirk

jenifer29
    Free Member

IN RUSH HOUR? OMG!

poly
    Free Member

daveb – not the shotts line which does take ages, but what used to be called “Intercity” on the service going to london or somewhere exotic!

its 1hr 5min. And tickets can be £8 each way v’s 55 mins and £21 something for a standard return on the normal route. If you are doing it all the time then season tickets etc may be cheaper though.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I did it for ages. You´ll be getting on at the 1st station both ways so it´s a lot easier. I never had a problem or saw anyone have a problem getting their bikes on. If I could be bothered I would often get the early train from Waverly which was way more relaxing and have a cycle round the parks in the morning. Same in the evening, I rarely went for the first train that I could and often had a pootle round the parks or up the Kelvin.

ian martin
    Free Member

Get a cheap fold up bike from decathlon.
    Last time I checked they were selling them for about £100, and its singlespeed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike on train – Edinburgh to Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.