Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike on train advice
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Any tips for travelling with a bike on a train?
    I'll be travelling with First Great Western & Cross-Country, if it makes any difference.
    I hadn't planned on doing anything with it really, maybe just lock the wheels/frame & put it in their bike storage area. Obviously won't leave any shiny bits on it.

bobbyspangles

dont

will
    Free Member

You'll be fine, never even had any issues taking mine on the train.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

What bike storage bit? If you're traveling at Christmas forget it.

It'll be crammed with people carying presents either to or from relatives not to mention suit cases etc. It's not worth it.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Make sure you have booked a place on the train for your bike – its free but must be reserved. Lock it or keep it in view – try to put a cable through the rack if it's stored in the guards van to prevent opportunists.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Both train companies reckon they have an allocated area, i'm guessing just a bit of a standing area/walkway that's notionally reserved, as they ask you not to lock it to the train incase you misplace the lock key – I shall be disregarding that, don't worry!

Going on Tuesday & coming back a week later, hopefully missing the worst of the packed trains.

Now, just got to practise rear-wheel endos to negotiate the steps at Bristol Temple Meads station for changing platforms! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike on train advice’ is closed to new replies.