• This topic has 92 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Bike moved/interfered with – what would you do?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hmm, strange one this.

I usually park my bike at the uni by chaining it opposite the [clearly marked] motorcycle bays, and next to the bike cage. I have never got around to getting the code for the cage as I am usually in a rush at the uni and I have a huge lock [£100 worth of Abus Granit X-Plus].

I have never seen a motorbike there, and there are no signs about this wall being motorbike parking.

I put my lock through a rusty chain that was hanging from a ring as it was much easier than getting it though the ring with the chain there.

Today I come back to find someone has moved my bike and left it unlocked. It seems that is a motorbike parking spot and the “owner” of the space has undone the chain, and moved my bike away, and left it propped up with it’s lock around it, no longer fixed to anything, in a public place.

The person also had the time to print a note and affix it to the bike.

What I don’t get is why the note did not suffice. Especially as there was no bike parked there that needed the space today anyway. The idea that someone can endanger my £1000-odd bike’s security makes me very angry.

What I want to do is to speak to the person that did it and explain that had it gone, I would be using the CCTV to take them to a small claims court for the price of a new Blue Pig build.

Someone else has even taken the time to write on the note that was left with a biro saying it’s not marked motorbike parking – perhaps one of the other people who park their bikes there regularly.

I have to go to the uni today, and I know the security staff know who it was that put it there.

What should I do/say?

It was the far ring.

scc999

Leave earlier so you’re not in a rush, get the code for the bike parking cage and use that instead of the motorcycle parking area?

Si

treaclesponge
    Free Member

So…

I have a huge lock [£100 worth of Abus Granit X-Plus]

then

Today I come back to find someone has moved my bike and left it unlocked.

Not sure of the point of your really expensive lock if you can merely undo the thing its attached too. Why not just spend 5 mins to find out the cage code and park like the rest of the cyclists?

midlifecrashes

Could you take a wheelie bin with you tomorrow and leave it in your space to reserve it?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

You put your lock through someone elses lock?

somouk
    Free Member

Unfortunately it would be your fault if the bike went missing you attached it to something that was easier to defeat than your lock making your lock a pointless accessory.

Use the bike shed and lock properly.

mogrim

You put your super-duper expensive lock through that piddly little chain???

Pieface

I’m surprised they’re not more concerned about you blocking a doorway.

That and the other posts about an expensive lock through someone else rusty chain sounds silly.

Cougar

The idea that someone can endanger my £1000-odd bike’s security makes me very angry.

But you’re perfectly happy with securing your £1,000 bike with a £100 lock to some poxy bit of rusty chain that can be readily undone by some passing munchkin?

The note looks like an “official” missive from the University; ergo, you need to address your concerns to them. Though from the sounds of it they’ve done you a favour in encouraging you to secure your bike properly next time.

njee20
    Free Member

Unfortunately it would be your fault if the bike went missing you attached it to something that was easier to defeat than your lock making your lock a pointless accessory.

Use the bike shed and lock properly.

This. Don’t quite understand how they rendered your lock useless – was the “rusty chain” someone else’s lock?

Jamie
    Free Member

It took a bit of reading, but I think OP chained to a chain someone had left there.

When I had a motorbike, rather than carry a big fuggoff chain every day, I would leave it at work as that’s the only place I used it.

Pieface

So even if the chain was big, only the owner of the chain could nick his bike.

Thats alright then

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’d be a bit annoyed at moving the bike, especially if there was no need to. You’re right, the note would of done.

Unfortunately though, I agree with some of the other posters that in future you should sort yourself out and get a key or whatever needs to be done, to get access to the cage.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

scc999 – Yeah sure, on the days when i’m not up to 2am doing uni stuff and putting up websites by 7:30 am the next morning, yes.

treaclesponge
    Why not just spend 5 mins to find out the cage code and park like the rest of the cyclists?

– I have to apply for permission through the central facilities and it takes weeks for a reply. Also the cage is filthy [pigeon shit] and full of bikes some of which move and some of which don’t – I won’t know which ones I can lock mine to. Lastly because I think the first place people are going to steal bikes from is the normal area where they’re locked up. The chain has been there years and never been used before.

midlifecrashes

Could you take a wheelie bin with you tomorrow and leave it in your space to reserve it?

Oh I don’t know – I just can’t understand how the hell they think it’s acceptable to leave it unlocked?!

There’s loads of new looking locks that are used – in three years I have never seen that spot or that old rusty chain in use. It has a padlock holding it together.

– I assume they had the key?!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No it was not the piddly little chain – that would be daft. It was a chunky chain that is not in the picture.

It was the far ring in the top pic – of course NOT in the doorway.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Take it as a helpful hint. Your security, which you thought was secure, is a joke as it was easily defeated and your lucky that you still have bike.
    Secure it in the bike cage that has been provided for you and think twice about were you leave it from now on.

dooosuk
    Free Member

The idea that someone can endanger my £1000-odd bike’s security makes me very angry.

That someone was you!

somouk
    Free Member

Yeah sure, on the days when i’m not up to 2am doing uni stuff and putting up websites by 7:30 am the next morning, yes.

I’m sure that attitude will endear you to the security people you go crying too when your bike has gone missing.

I suspect they will ask if it was secured in the provided bike accommodation and if not then they’ll have nothing to do with you.

The process of finding the code out for the cage is no doubt because they keep a register of who has access should something illegal happen.

IHN

What should I do/say?

1) Go to Security
    2) “Can I have the number for the bike cage please?”

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I can accept I was in the wrong – though I was oblivious to the area being motorcycle parking due to the lack of sign and or motorcycles. As I said the sign was enough.

What bugs me is the notion that it was OK to leave it no longer attached to anything!

somouk
    Free Member

What bugs me is the notion that it was OK to leave it no longer attached to anything!

They were probably annoyed someones been using their chain to lock their bike to for ages.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That someone was you!

No it wasn’t – it was secured when I left it and someone else came and callously caused it to be insecure just for the hell of it.

dooosuk
    Free Member

What bugged the owner of the other lock was probably the notion that you were using it to secure your bike.

dooosuk
    Free Member

That someone was you!
    No it wasn’t – it was secured when I left it and someone else came and callously caused it to be insecure just for the hell of it.

You secured it to someone else’s lock.

Therefore it was you that endangered your own bike!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

They were probably annoyed someones been using their chain to lock their bike to for ages.

I have been using the ring [usually the ring itself] around 4 hours a week for a few years. As I said – the note would have sufficed – I can put it somewhere else if requested.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this. I can see your point, but they could easily have left it locked.

Out of interest – how am I supposed to know this is motorcycle parking when there is no sign saying it’s motorcycle parking?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m slightly confused! That metal rail secured to the wall is to protect people walking past the fire exit door when it swings out into their path as its an outward opening door (as required by the building regulations).
    Its not something to secure bikes to.
    Or am I missing something?

zbonty

This is a troll right?

If you leave a £1000 bike at a uni it will be spotted and it will go.
    It needs more than one lock- theres nothing securing the fork/wheel.

Locking it to that chain is pointless- they’re cut-able with the smallest bolt croppers.
    Alternatively a tea-leaf could hacksaw your downtube in 5 seconds, ride away, skip the frame/sell all the bits!

So what’s today’s lesson?!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It was NOT where it is in the pictures when I left it.

The person who unlocked it put it there. I have never left it in the way of the door, just on the ring on the wall, the far one in the top pic, leaving plenty of space around it for the other bikes that are parked there.

Sorry the OP was such a mess.

piemonster

What should I do/say?

1) Go to Security
    2) “Can I have the number for the bike cage please?”

Plus one, and use your lock properly.

Cougar

I won’t know which ones I can lock mine to.

Sorry, I must be misunderstanding this; are you saying that you don’t know whose bike you want to lock your own to?

No it wasn’t – it was secured

It demonstrably wasn’t.

I have to apply for permission through the central facilities and it takes weeks for a reply

I have been using the ring [usually the ring itself] around 4 hours a week for a few years

You’ve had plenty of time to gain access to the designated facilities, you’re just making excuses. If the facilities are inappropriate or inadequate, you need to flag this with the University. Then when you go to complain about them moving your bike and they ask why you’re not using the security they provide, you can say “because as per my letter dated $foo I don’t believe the facilities are fit for purpose” rather than look like a spoon because you’ve been bucking the system for three years.

they could easily have left it locked.

Out of interest – how am I supposed to know this is motorcycle parking when there is no sign saying it’s motorcycle parking?

Both very good points, and ones you should bring to the attention of the University. Ideally, in writing.

scc999

scc999 – Yeah sure, on the days when i’m not up to 2am doing uni stuff and putting up websites by 7:30 am the next morning, yes.

Your choice – either find the time or don’t. You asked what people would do, I’d make the time to get my bike secured properly in line with the facilities provided by the uni rather than using someone elses lock to secure your pride and joy to.

Are you at uni every day? I’m just curious how you know that the lock is never used and there’s no way that you locking your bike to it would have made it didfficult for the owner lock up their motorbike.

Speak to the Uni though, as others have said it looks like an official(ish) notice. Explain your concerns over the state of the cage / difficulties finding the time to go through correct process and see what they say. You may get a positive result?

Not sure I’d bang on too much about my bike being moved, but calmly explaining that you feel a note on it’s own would have sufficed rather than leaving your bike unlocked and open to theft may also bear fruit?

Si

Pieface

Acquire the code for the cage.
    Speak to the security team and explain the situation.
    Ask them where it is ok to lock your bike whilst the code is being issued.
    Advise that signage would be helpful if it is a designated motorbike bay but as you haven’t seen it in use for x amount of time didn’t think it would be a problem.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

they could easily have left it locked.

How? If they took their lock (which, as you say, isn’t in the picture) how were they supposed to leave your bike secured? Basically you have had a scare, been lucky so learn from it, park your bike where its supposed to go rather than where you want to put it.

If you are worried about a bit of bird poo why not get a tarp zip tied over the cage roof or something. Seems you are looking to blame someone else for your own incompetence.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No-one else thinks it’s unacceptable to leave the bike unlocked?

I have a lot of consideration for other people’s property, I would never dream of doing that, I’d just leave a note explaining it was motorbike parking.

The Abus has secured various bikes for about 5 years, it’s survived a set of bolt croppers too at the NORMAL bike-parking area out the front of the uni. In midday. Hence the desire to park it in the secluded spot in the pictures.

OK – well if you really don’t think I have the right to give the person a bollocking for leaving it unlocked [and as noted, blocking the fire door] I won’t.

I was in two minds – hence the question.

IA

What should I do/say?

Get a beater bike to ride to uni on. Your nice one will get stolen.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

How would you suggest that the ‘perp’ locked your bike up if your lock was locked and he/she wanted to take their lock away…? Or should they have searched the university until they found you or just decided that it was a bit mean to leave it unlocked so changed their plans/needs to suit your selfishness?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@IA – I usually ride a beater to uni – it’s in for repairs.

@treaclesponge – There’ no need to be daft. The chain has not been used ever before in 4 years of me attending the university, passing that spot several times a day. There has never been a motorbike there, ever, but push bikes are locked there regularly. There was also NOT a bike there that day, so the person has come and taken the lock away for the sheer hell of it.

@cougar – the bike cage is usually full by the time I get there. Some of the bikes are likely abandoned, some are not. Locking the ‘Pig next to a bike that is in use will inconvenience the owner, hence locking it where there is space to lock it.

dooosuk
    Free Member

so the person has come and taken the lock away for the sheer hell of it.

Or because they now needed their property back to do what they wished with.

Cougar

if you really don’t think I have the right to give the person a bollocking for leaving it unlocked

I think you absolutely do. I just think that if you go in all guns blazing, you should pre-emptively be ready to explain why you aren’t using the provided facilities.

the bike cage is usually full by the time I get there

… may well be one such answer.

I think if I were you, I’d write to them with the meat of the letter being about inadequate facilities. As such, you are forced to attempt to secure your bike elsewhere, and subsequently have had your bike rendered unsafe by security personnel commissioned by the University which is totally unacceptable. Therefore, what are they going to do to provide more suitable security (and improve the signage whilst they’re at it)?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Bike moved/interfered with – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.