Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • REAL Bike Modifications – Show and Tell!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Lets hear/see your bike or kit modifications.

And I don't mean "I fitted some bling jockey wheels to my rear mech", "I chopped my bars down" or "I had a respray done"… 🙂

I'm talking real stuff you can't buy in the shops, great ideas, bit's you've made yourself. Innovative stuff. New stuff.
    Good, bad or ugly, lets see 'em! 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i attached a bottle cage to steerer of the wife's Airnimal with jubilee clips

my reasoning was there was no way i could make it any uglier

crikey
    Free Member

Drilled a hole in my bb to let the water out of a carbon frame.

crikey
    Free Member

Used Hylomar non-setting gasket compound instead of grease on a seatpost in a carbon frame.

slowrider
    Free Member

fitted a pair of pedals on the wrong sides so that pedalling tightened rather than loosened them.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Lets hear/see your bike or kit modifications….

……I'm talking real stuff you can't buy in the shops, great ideas, bit's you've made yourself. Innovative stuff. New stuff.
    Good, bad or ugly, lets see 'em!

what so you can rip 'em off and get the readers prize from a bike mag(again!!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

what so you can rip 'em off and get the readers prize from a bike mag(again!!)

Shhhh! 😉

No because I thought it might make an interesting thread.

(FYI, the one I won the prizes for came from a mate, and he got it off a pro mechanic. He could have sent it in, but he didn't. I did. And I'm very glad I did too. 🙂 But even that one isn't what I'm after here, nor are most of those above, sadly…..)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK. I'm talking about stuff like this: A SS sprocket carrier made from a SRAM PG990 cassette:

From a mate who built his own frame in his garage. Yes really.

photo

DezB
    Free Member

I haven't got a picture, but I welded 2 plates to the sides of my Yeti's knuckle. Just so people would stop saying "Your frame is broken". YAWN!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i had to drill a hole in my frame to stop the drop out moving on a orange P7

they sent me info and pics on how to do it aswel!!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I re-spaced the rear dropouts on my A'ha from 120mm to 135mm using a plank. It was not a total success. 🙂

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I stopped my mates 475 hubs from leaking grease onto the rotor by tying some string round them

greeble
    Free Member

i drilled the back end of my old dhr to move the linkage back, to slacken the headangle and drop the bb

finbar
    Free Member

Hacksawed the dropouts on an old Raleigh Reynolds 520 frame to make enough room to tension the chain on a fixed gear.

Also i have a Trek XO 'cross frame, and i made a guide for under-bb front mech cable routing out of a v brake noodle.

VooDoochild
    Free Member

Made some special cups to adapt a standard CK headset to internal.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

See, THAT'S what I'm talking about!

teddy
    Free Member

bodged rear mudguard made out of 2 seperate ones zip tied together.

takisawa2

Kids trailer bracket…
    (Now re-made from galvanised bar)

D0NK

That doesn't look too shabby teddy, what guards did you use?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Do you recall the 'fork nappy' that Ant used to ride around with PP? That's bodging Bristol-style that was.

*proud*

Respaced my holdsworth for a 135mm hub, that was a complete success thankfully 🙂

I've used some old spokes to make a self-latching gate hook too.

gee
    Free Member

I made a seatpost shim. 28.6mm – 30.9mm

It was brilliant.

GB

teddy
    Free Member

i used a sks race blade and a cheapy front mudguard from the supermarket (3 quid the pair from memory) drilled them both together and stiched them up with zip ties.
    it has done 4 winters on 3 bikes and still going strong.
    the extra extension makes a difference to how much filth gets on the back of your legs, not fool proof, but saves the shower drain/washing machine….

fivespot
    Free Member

Modified my XT BB to take grease ports last year. Still going strong.

Made this small spanner for my CCDB, only weighs 2g.

PhilO
    Free Member

Twinglespeed convertion using Bits of old Cassette as spacers:

One the hack commuter, extended the rear carrier with a bit of old front mudguard:

The stays were made from stainless steel BBQ skewers and attached using cable ties:

Not really a bike mod, but I'm quite pleased with the LED lamp I made for the SiL:

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I made some flammable lights.

mboy
    Free Member

Modified my XT BB to take grease ports last year. Still going strong.

Bloody genius! I guess you're about to get dozens of people ask to send you their BB's now… 😉

Very smart…

My bike modification stuff has primarily been limited to suspension fork internals… Did the TFTuned Pure Damping trick to a set of Psylo's I had myself back in about 2003, found out what the Black Box Damping mod was (basically just a modified compression piston) on the 2002 Boxxers so pulled mine apart and did it myself with great success (BEST forks I've ever owned after that mod!), messed about with the internals of my 07 Z1 SL-ATA's to get somewhere near the quoted 180mm of travel (I think I ended up with about 165mm) instead of the 140-150mm of travel they were giving up out of the box.

fruitbat

Fivespot – can you reveal where you got the Zerk fittings?

fivespot
    Free Member

I removed them from some knackered spherical bearings. They are almost identical to Turner Zerk grease ports. 😉

adeward
    Free Member

modified whyte big gripper dropouts so i can have a qr alfine setup,,

welded horizontal dropouts on an old steel frame for my commuter

put same thing on an aluminium warrenty return bike, which dave hemming went on to win the singlespeed race at cheddar in 1999 i think

but i have got a prototype frame in my garage , which i built about 10 years ago,, which is a marmite bike will get some pics tomorro

DezB
    Free Member

As you wanted kit as well and you don't mind a bit of ugly, check this out.
    I made it years ago when bars were narrower and I had a pair of big'ol Cateye night riding lamps (remember the ones you could put 4 AA batteries in as well as running off a kg of NiMh battery?) that I struggled to get on the bars.
    Cut down a stem and bars and a big bolt holds it to a standard Cateye lamp mount.
    Actually started using it again on my dog walking bike (hence the dirt) as its got cheap crappy bars that the Hope clamp always comes loose on.
    Beauty innit!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I trimmed down the air spring rod in my float forks to make the air sping more linear.

Sven

Admittedly, I didn't build it myself but had the idea and did the CAD drawings for this eccentric external bottom bracket that a machinist then made for me. Sad thing is that while I was waiting for the guy to machine the pieces, I read about the Trickstuff Excentriker on STW for the first time…

Still works well, however, after 2 years now!

ajantom

Something a few peeps have done – did the 'Jeff Jones' single speed mod on some XTR M960 cranks. They were free from my LBSs bin too 🙂

Came out pretty nice – you can't see in the main pic, but I got them too a mirror finish with 1500 wet & dry!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've done my own anodising. Does that count?

Made my own magura brake boosters:

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘REAL Bike Modifications – Show and Tell!’ is closed to new replies.