Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • BIKE MECHANICS: Slipping "small ring" on rear cassette – Any Ideas ?
  • adi66
    Free Member

Got a sram X9 10 speed cassette on a set of Cobalt wheels, ad under heavy power the small ring (he separate one) spins… cassette was fitted by LBS so i’m a bit perplexed as to why its slipping.

Help would be much appreciated.

nonk
    Free Member

is it not the chain slipping on the sprocket?
    is it a new chain?

adi66
    Free Member

nah new cassete, new sprocket… when I Give it some power and look down, I can see it move maybe a tooth worth then stop slipping.

nonk
    Free Member

any spacers behind the cassette?

imnotverygood

is it torqued up tight?

cynic-al
    Free Member

extra spacer?

Something’s stopping it engaging with the spline.

nonk
    Free Member

thing is though if the ring was sprocket was clear of the splines i dont reckon you would get the lock ring on anyway. 😕 hard to say without a butchers at it.

br
    Free Member

take it off and have a look?

adi66
    Free Member

there is a small nylon spacer between the cassette and freehub body – as supplied with the wheels, and told to fit by distributor. but how would that affect the small sprocket ?

I’ve never had a lock ring relax its torque before… seems tight enough although I’ve not measured it with a torque wrench.

adi66
    Free Member

BR : that’s the plan tomorrow afternoon, or Friday when I get 5 mins to pop down to the LBS.

dmjb4
    Free Member

Can’t the LBS fix it? If you paid them to fit it, it should work.

PePPeR

I’ve had issues before where the chain is riding on the lock ring which is stopping the chain from dropping right down into the teeth of the cassette.

It could be this problem…

The lock rings come in different sizes for different amounts of teeth on the smallest cog, I’d just look and see if this could be the issue.

nonk
    Free Member

ah good call pepper that could be it for sure!

adi66
    Free Member

cheer for all the super quick replys everyone

The lock ring is he one that came with the cassette, which came on the bike (Canyon) I just upgraded the wheels, so swapped it all over… bike was 2 rides old when I swapped the wheels out. so I doub’t its the lock ring suggestion above.

LBS will DEFINATLY be getting a visit !

zangolin
    Free Member

Is there a quick link fitted to the chain?
    If it’s a Connex link then it can cause skipping on the smallest sprocket (link touches the lockring) – if the link is fitted upside down.

PePPeR

Could have been over tightened then I suppose?

PePPeR

If it’s a Connex link then it can cause skipping on the smallest sprocket (link touches the lockring) – if the link is fitted upside down.

Another good call there!

project
    Free Member

Had a small ring snap once so it slipped, also remove the spacer from the hub, when i had one it stopped the new shimano cassette fitting and tightening up tight, as a guide, wheel bike to a wall and put front wheel at 90 degrees to wall eg facing it, put chain on small sprocket and push gently down on pedal, and look what happens, or get a mate to press down while you look

adi66
    Free Member

PePPer: that would suggest that the hub would now be knackered, right ?

munrobiker
    Free Member

If you search there is talk of issues with CB wheels and sram cassettes.

adi66
    Free Member

SRAM chain with SRAM split link.

I’ve poped a paint mark on the small sprocket & next one up… and guess what the paint marked sprocket has moved away from the second sprocket – slipping clockwise.

LBS are gonna get a piece of my mind if they have over tightened and junked my hub!

br
    Free Member

Rather than take it to the LBS, try to work out why its not working correctly, and then learn how to fix it – otherwise one day you’ll have a long, long walk caused by a simple ‘problem’.

adi66
    Free Member

Munro’: any links ?

PePPeR

So it’s the actual last sprocket not located on the splines of the freehub correctly, this won’t be from over tightening.

It could be the freehub isn’t deep enough to cope with the SRAM cassette?

munrobiker speaks of issues with SRAM cassettes and CB wheels, anyone got any links to this?

adi66
    Free Member

Br: hence my post… LBS will be getting a visit as the wheels are only a a month or so old.

i’m hoping that the sprocket is either totally clear of the freehub body, or its something else… if its been half on and has slipped off taking a chunk of the edge of the freehub with it I wont be best pleased!

SRAM cassettes are the same width as Shimano arn’t they ? I assume there is a “Standard” width adopted by all manufacturers ? :-/

druidh
    Free Member

I’d be looking at that plastic spacer. If it’s preventing the cassette from going all the way on to the freehub, then the last sprocket won’t have anything to mesh with?

adi66
    Free Member

the spacer is literally a hairs width. and without it the rivets on the back of the SRAM cassette hit the flanges of the hub.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – not like the 2mm one with the Mavics then.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-sram-x9-10-speed-cassette-wont-fit

deadkenny – Member
    Further on the 10sp compatibility. Definitely with the SRAM at least the top cog does not slide onto the freehub, just sits on top of the cog beneath and spins round. The lock ring tightens it up though and stops it spinning.

But you’ve already read that, because you started that thread…

adi66
    Free Member

Thats my old thread there…

This seems the cause…

deadkenny – Member
    Got freehub replaced.

Further on the 10sp compatibility. Definitely with the SRAM at least the top cog does not slide onto the freehub, just sits on top of the cog beneath and spins round. The lock ring tightens it up though and stops it spinning.

Not sure if the cog has engaged with the splines on the freehub after being compressed down by the lock ring, but I’m concerned about it. A deeper lock ring may not make much of a difference, don’t know.

Done it up with the current lock ring I’ve got and all seems solid and tight. Though went to a lower torque as not happy with high torque steel in aluminium

LBS here I come.

druidh
    Free Member

See – if I’d read that first thread, I’d have chosen a different cassette.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d have not bought the wheels!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Am I missing something or is this thread not the same as the last one?

russjp
    Free Member

So new cassette, what about new chain?

If Its still the old chain I put my money on that being the problem

sailingneil
    Free Member

Even if it was an old chain that wouldn’t cause the smallest cog to rotate relative to the others as stated.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

zangolin – Member

this is the answer if its a connex link

adi66
    Free Member

Right so the plot thickens..

LBS Visited with bike today, and there as pissed as me. They undid the lock ring and there was a fair bit of swarf in there… off popped the smallest sprocket to reveal no splines on the free-hub body! All worn away !!!

LBS have and are still tying to sort it out with CB distributors 2Pure.

LBS also showed me the parts and I couldn’t quite get my head round why SRAM cover the “knurled / grooved” inner surface of the lock ring by a clip in stainless “washer”!

Anyone know why ?

Shimano lockring’s / cassettes click as there tightened, and stop it loosening. I.E no stainless washer.

I’m thinking that the lockring may have also come slightly loose and allowed the sprocket a bit of space, and allowed it to slip ?

druidh
    Free Member

Assuming that they managed to thread the lockring on originally.. 🙄

Could be that with so little thread available, they stripped it and so it’s always been loose. That would allow enough movement that the minimal spline interface wasn’t enough.

Like I said above, if I’d read the original thread I’d have made sure it was a Shimano casette. It’ll be interesting to see what 2pure say.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

My 9 speed XT cassette came with a washer. I think it’s because otherwise the the knurls on the aluminium lockring would get chewed to bits by the same marks on the 11t sprocket because aluminium is weaker than the steel. The stainless washer prevents this. This washer hasn’t caused me and thousands of others any problems. I received a cheaper Shimano cassette earlier this week and it came with a steel lockring (just as strong as the sprocket) so no washer was supplied. Making sense?

adi66
    Free Member

druidh:

The Bike was 2 rides old when i put the new wheels on, and I wasn’t about to change a perfectly good SRAM cassette, when 2pure (and Crank Brothers) said a SRAM 10speed would fit and WORK just fine.

Like you said 2pure’s response is eagerly awaited…

druidh
    Free Member

adi66 – I hear what you’re saying, but “real world” experience is often more useful 🙂

Did 2pure actually say it would work fine? I see that on ibiscycles.co.uk you can configure a Mojo with Cobalt wheels and an X9 cassette but it says an XX cassette isn’t compatible. ❓

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘BIKE MECHANICS: Slipping "small ring" on rear cassette – Any Ideas ?’ is closed to new replies.