Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike mechanic types anyone know how to……
  • maxsatnav
    Free Member

remove these 20mm cups

ive tried just pulling like hope but they seem to be behind another retaining cup/washer

are they screwed or do i just need to MTFU and hit with a bigger hammer

trail_rat
    Free Member

What hub is it ?

There isnt a circlip holding it in is there ?

neilthewheel

There might be a spring clip holding it in place, surrounding the base of the cap. If so, lever it out with a small screwdriver

somafunk

There’s a retaining circlip holding them in 😉

somafunk

There’s also an echo in here….in here….in here……

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Is there a square cutout halfway down the inside of the axle?

If so, support the hub with space for the bearing to exit and use a suitable drift and hammer to drive the axle out (gently) using the cutout. Then flip it over and do the other bearing.

Edit: or remove the circlip. The above method works for the 20mm Cannondale/Formula rebranded hub I have at home.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Looks very much like a BULB. In which case, the echo is right!

maxsatnav
    Free Member

NO cant see a circlip, cut out or flat spots

its on a specialized hub but no brand name, cant even see enought of the bearing the other side to knock it through… 😕

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Look similar to the Superstar ones i did the other day.

You need to gently tap around them from the other side,with a long thin punch.

On one we had to find an axle that was a good fit into the adaptor and gently tap it from side to side,to get the retaining ring to move.

Its an adaptor that fits against the bearing,that then has a reatining coller pressed in to stop them falling out.

They are a nightmare as there is no way of removing them.
    I am wondering if you brought a big expanding floor bolt,if you could expand it in the adaptor only and then knock it out from the other side

andysmiff1
    Free Member

‘Tis easy……

Put your axle into the hub adaptor (only in the adaptor-not into the sleeve between hub bearings) and use axle as a lever and the caps will pop off.

They are held in by the interference fit of the black retaining ring over the cap.

Had two sets of specialized 20mm front hubs and that’s how I got them off (as shown by the local Spesh dealer)

A

argoose
    Free Member

+1
    Use axle just inside top hat/adapter. Push away pull towards until it pops off.
    You’ll have to tap retaining ring back in with a drift that only bears on the retaining ring

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jodafett

^^^
    CaptainBashHeart!

maxsatnav
    Free Member

andysmiff…. will try the axle approach tomorrow

many thanks all

maxsatnav
    Free Member

IT WORKED excellent info

and i managed to install the hope adaptors and now coverted to QR just need to find somthing to act as a dust seal for the bearing

gonzouk
    Free Member

Hi Max…I’m in the same boat that you were in but need a 20mm – 15mm axle conversion. Which Hope Adapter set did you use to do the conversion? And with it, did you need to replace the bearings for ones with diff dimensions?

carlos
    Free Member

Hi Mate,

Its this one – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30152 for a 15mm axle

No need to change bearings etc… Just remove whatever is in there and push these in. Sorted. 🙂

gonzouk
    Free Member

Yalright Carlos,
    Thanks for the response! Just checking that these will be sorted for a IS 100mm gap in the forks instead of a 20mm axles 110mm? I’m just a little wary as the one on chainreaction seems to be alot deeper than the end-caps i’ve removed. Is this because the converter fits inside the main axle body?

…Sorry for the uncertain response. Ive had a long day of walking into bike shops and them telling me it ‘cant’ be done – whilst proceeding to try and sell me a £250 set of wheels 😛

lovewookie

hilti bolt in the end, tighten to grip and drift out from the other side.

try not to catch the bearings though or they’ll come out too!

br
    Free Member

ive tried just pulling like hope but they seem to be behind another retaining cup/washer

Only Hope 15mm’s pull, their 20mm’s use a circlip – best approach I’ve found is using a small thin blade screwdriver to lever the (angled) end out.

carlos
    Free Member

Gonzouk – see here http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/PROIIfrontassy.pdf

If in doubt call hope and check the part # with them. Pretty sure they’ll confirm Hub441, which is basically the crc link

Yes it fits into the bearing where as the 20mm sits on it. Sort of. You can see (again sort of) how it goes together from the Hope exploded diagram. Part #’s 4, 8 & 9 all fit inside the bearing and part # 6 (the 20mm you have) doesn’t.

Hth
    Carl

gonzouk
    Free Member

Carl, what a guy you are! Put my fears to bed….Thanks for your help =D

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike mechanic types anyone know how to……’ is closed to new replies.