Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Bike Maintenance Stand in Development – Feed back wanted please.
  • lisa12
    Free Member

Its really very nice forum. Please tell me the price of bike stand.and give more information about its feature

FuzzyWuzzy

Agree with pdw – there’s surely more mileage in a decent wheel-truing stand. The prices of the decent (stable) ones are ridiculous, especially when you add the extras in (like 15/20mm axle compatibility, some sort of dishing gauge etc. etc.). Then again I’m not sure why someone with some time on their hands isn’t knocking out mdf ones based on the one in Roger’s book, I’d buy for £75-100 so once you knock up some templates surely you can churn them out for a profit?

br
    Free Member

Cam lock style clamp not the screw down style I hate them

I disagree, these might be fine if you’ve only one bike but anymore (and between the kids and I we’ve 7…) and you are having to change it everytime plus the ‘force’ it to lock (which is how a cam works).

I had a cheap Minora stand, hated the clamp plus it was really unhappy with a heavy bike in. So replaced with a Park PCS9. tbh this does everything I need.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/15315/Park_Home_Mechanic_Repair_Stand_PCS9

If I was inclinded I could probably do to create a fixed base for the garage and keep the legs spare, but its no big deal.

Wish you luck.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

@Fuzzy Roger’s book?

firestarter
    Free Member

Fuzzy you can adapt lots of truing stands for 15-20mm with ball bearings

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’d like a stand with two positive points of contact to prevent bike movement whilst being worked on (at the moment I clamp the seatpost and angle the bike so the front wheel sits on the ground).

Bearing the above in mind, if the clamping system did involve using the fork as a point of contact, it should be be adaptable for all the current dropout systems out there.

Regarding current conventional clamping systems, I’m non-plussed whether it’s a cam or screw system – I’ve used both and both have positives and negatives.

Liking the tray and bottle opener ideas (I have a tray on my old Blackburn stand – very useful) and the light has some merit.

I live in a flat, so bolting to the floor for me is a no-go. I also sit my stand on a towel to catch crap – a specific absorbent mat could be a good accessory.

Good luck!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

1) Flat plate base
    2) Clever clamp design that works with one hand, is firm but doesn’t crush
    3) High sided tool tray with magnetic mat that can be removed
    4) Power pack/battery which you can plug a snake lamp / fan into. Should be mains chargeable as well

5) Detachable bit that you put on the floor and it automatically finds the screw/bolt/ball bearing you have dropped

GW
    Free Member

namastebuzz – Member

Removing tight BB cups or similar jobs require the frame to be clamped securely no it doesn’t.. the only thing that needs to be clamped tight to remove from a bike is a stuck seatpost and no stand is secure enough for that.

and I’d like to see a headset get changed with the bike upside down or propped against a wall.

done loads without a stand, it’s really not difficult at all.

For example if you wish to bleed a rear Hayes brake you’re advised[/i] to have the lever/master cylinder directly above the caliper and then rotate it so the reservoir is uppermost. Assuming you’re not removing it all from the bike how are you gonna get it all in place without a workstand?

Key word there is “advised”, it doesn’t actually need to be removed or positioned directly above the caliper at all but simply higher than the caliper. I have succesfully bled many hayes brakes in fields at races.

A lot of people on here do a load of stuff to their bikes coz they’re always out riding them in mud and always breaking stuff or just upgrading all the time hence the popularity of workstands.

I think what you meant to say was:
    A lot of people on here buy loads of unneccessary stuff for their bikes coz they’re always hankering after something new rather thanout riding them in mud, rarely breaking stuff, instead just upgrading all the time, hence the popularity of workstands.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

GW – Work stands make it easier. They are not essential. If the OP can make one cheap then I would definitely be tempted.

At the moment I do work on my bike when it has it’s saddle stuck through a loop of rope hanging from the garage rafters or when it is leaning against a work bench. Having it held firm at eye height would be easier.

aracer
    Free Member

Having seen that the market is flooded

Should probably have stopped there. Unless you have a good USP (asking on here what features you should have suggests you don’t) then you’ll struggle to compete in the market. Surely there’s something else you could make for which there’s less competition?

GW
    Free Member

WCA – I have a folding workstand, rarely use it. it takes too long to put it up and clamp a bike in to be worthwhile for most repairs IMO.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have the luxury of a double garage so it would stay up. I agree they can be a faff for little jobs but I find it easier to work on the drive train when the bike is hanging up as everything is at eye level and the wheels can rotate freely.

I have wondered if there could be a clamp that fitted to the wall but folded down when not in use. It would be permanently bolted there but with the ‘arm’ folded flat against the wall. When you want to use it just raise the arm, lock it in position and you have a work stand.

Quick, easy and cheaper than one on legs.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Fair enough GW all good points.

It’s all easier with a stand though. You’re just making it more difficult.

Not everyone is the same 😉

scruff
    Free Member

I want one stable enough (but not bolted down) so I can tip up my 40lb-odd DH bike so brake hose is pointing up when I bleed my brakes, but bars are not too high to reach, with magnetic bits tray plus (probably slotted)tool tray.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My wish list:

+ Foldable for storage / transportation
    + Stable – ideally the option to remove something from the end of the legs and fill them with sand / something else to get more weight down at the bottom of the stand
    + Magnetic tray for bits
    + Waterproof – so I can wash a bike in it without it filling up with water
    + fast easy to use clamp
    + hooks for hanging stuff on (rags, cables, rubbish bag, etc)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I give you the fold away, wall mounted bike clamp with detachable snake head torch and magnetic tray*.

* I forgot to put the magnetic tray and toll rack on and can’t be bothered to update the engineering diagram above.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I give you the fold away, wall mounted bike clamp with detachable snake head torch and magnetic tray*.

* I forgot to put the magnetic tray and toll rack on and can’t be bothered to update the engineering diagram above.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No one has mentioned the Ultimate/Feedback stands.

very stable, good clamp, light, foldable.

you will have to go some to beat one at any sort or reasonable price.

I had a Minoura RS5000 but gave it away as it wasn’t stable enough – and the clamp was proving flaky.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Enough height adjustment to be able to sit on a chair when doing repairs or stand up and have the bottom bracket near eye level (I am not all that tall, so maybe this would be hopeless for 6 feet plus people). Being able to set height at any point between these.

A clamping multi positon/height light.
    A clampint multi position/height tool tray.
    Something to stop the front wheel flopping from side to side.
    Good padding on the clamp.
    Wide clamping range from thin to thick and coping with odd shaped tubes.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m looking for one, fed up with bikes upside, or clamped into a Black & Decker workmate.

My ideal one would be:
    Foldable (yes, I would like a solid one at home but it will have to come to races)
    Front wheel in (I’m amazed some of them need the front wheel taken out, pain for setting up front brakes)
    One-handed clamping, so I can hold the bike in place and clamp with the other (if you know the axel clamp on a Tacx turbo, something like that)
    Gentle enough to clamp carbon. Sturdy enough to hold DH bikes.
    I have an inspection lamp with I dangle from the beam in the garage, so light not required.
    Rotating/height adjustable clamp.
    There are some like that out there but they cost £lots, so if yours is cheaper I’d buy yours.

and I’d like to see a headset get changed with the bike upside down or propped against a wall.
    done loads without a stand, it’s really not difficult at all.

Both wheels out, and forks obviously. I use a bench vice sans bench, one cup at a time, it’s a doddle.

cookeaa

Having thought about it a bit more I think there are maybe a couple of gaps in the workstand market still. The home/workshop market is pretty much sewn up, as is the portable, folding, ally/plastic sub 70 quid market. What’s left I reckon is the serious privateer racer, someone who’s going to want portability but is willing to pay a bit more for durability, a stand that is going to see regular heavy outdoor use but will comfortably break/fold down to fit in the boot of an average hatchback along with your other weekend race kit & spares….

cookeaa

Having thought about it a bit more I think there are maybe a couple of gaps in the workstand market still. The home/workshop market is pretty much sewn up, as is the portable, folding, ally/plastic sub 70 quid market. What’s left I reckon is the serious privateer racer, someone who’s going to want portability but is willing to pay a bit more for durability, a stand that is going to see regular heavy outdoor use but will comfortably break/fold down to fit in the boot of an average hatchback along with your other weekend race kit & spares….

fruitbat

I made my own workstand, mostly from 40mm square section steel tubing (got free offcuts from work). It is heavy and consequently stable – so not really designed designed for use away from base.
    It has many desirable features (for me at least) – especially useful are the castors (lockable) which allow the stand, plus bike, to be moved around. The head is adjustable for angle of dangle so that the bike an be positioned in the best orientation.
    The vertical post is adjustable for height and it can be removed for reduced storage/transportation volume.
    The clamp is a screw type – mainly because it is quite difficult to make an effective cam type with hand tools.

Here’s some pictures:

Digger90
    Free Member

Namastebuzz speaks the truth.. here’s my ideal (and I’d be happy to be a test pilot for you if you wish!) 😀

My criteria:
    1. Clamp mechanism (not screw type), and adjustable to fit various sized seatposts

2. Heavy and flat base – not bolted down

3. Ideally adjustable for height also, but this is not a dealbreaker

The Park Tools PRS3 OS-1 is pretty much it…

http://www.parktool.com/product/deluxe-single-arm-repair-stand-less-base

tomlevell

Except the price.

£580 including the base!

This is the ultimate stand…
    http://foesracing.com/site/products/power-clamp/

Digger90
    Free Member

That’s the point….!?

If GJ Engineering can make something similar to the Park PRS3 at a lower cost they’re onto a winner.

And the Foes stand you’ve linked to is the same price…??

antigee

And the Foes stand you’ve linked to is the same price…??

yes but it lifts the bike up for you and it looks like you could adapt to have sparkling lager on draft

gjengineering
    Free Member

Once again thanks to everyone that has posted!

As a small company this sort of information is vital to help us develop and meet the customers requirements. We had a clear vision of what we wanted to develop and offer for sale and I’m glad to say that the information we have recieved so far has confirmed our thoughts – althought with a few nice little twists along the way!!!

Rest assured that a bottle opener/can holder will come as standard on all of our handbuilt maintenance/repair stands! – you see, we listen!

Please keep posting, to meet your requirements we need your input!

GJ Engineering

rootes1

just note that Cyclus what £350 for their stand… expensive seeing as their other tools are good value

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Bike Maintenance Stand in Development – Feed back wanted please.’ is closed to new replies.