Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike mags and new stuff
  • hooli

I was recently away for work so as usual, I picked up a few bike mags from the airport – both road and MTB mags.

I read through them and nearly every page was about new kit, clothing, brakes, tyres, bars, bike carriers, light weight inner tubes, energy drinks, you name it. Some of the items of clothing cost more than my bike!

I have never been out on either my road or MTB and thought, this would be so much better if I had 5mm wider tyres, a lighter inner tube or an apple and cinnamon energy gel.

Am I the only one who just rides my bike for the enjoyment of it and to improve fitness? The biggest improvement for me will always be to lose weight and get fitter, unfortunately buying stuff doesn’t help this.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So what would you like your magazine filled with?

It’s nice to hear about new stuff.

weeksy

mikewsmith – Member
    So what would you like your magazine filled with?

Trails, skills, articles about riders, articles about places..

Of course, some stuff about new bits….

Articles on spannering, articles on ‘how to’

etc

hooli

How to’s, new places to ride, news about different cycling events.

But that’s just me, was wondering if I am alone

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which one did you pick up? apart from the How To is sounds like ST covers most of the things you want.

DezB
    Free Member

Trails, skills, articles about riders, articles about places..

Of course, some stuff about new bits….

Articles on spannering, articles on ‘how to’

How to’s, new places to ride, news about different cycling events.

All the mags I’ve seen have all that stuff in.
    Regurgitated year after year after year.

stever
    Free Member

I couldn’t care less about shopping, until something wears out and then I might get a bit nerdy about making sure my money is well spent.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

You mean like Privateer was…before it closed…because not enough people bought it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just had a quick flick through issue 87..
    6 articles on rides/riding
    1 Editorial from Chipps
    3/4 on bike stuff (not new stuff)
    4 on reviews/testing
    and some other general STW stuff (hard to categorise but not new shiney kit)

colin9

I like to keep track of new products and what’s happening in the industry, but I also read for inspiration and enjoyment. If I want to know about the latest gear reviews I look at MBR, if I want a read I look at Singletrack. I’m a hardtail, steel, 26″ sort of guy though so I do find most new product reviews pretty irrelevant to me.

lilchris
    Free Member

Why not contact the magazines Advertising and Accounting departments with your thoughts?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike mags and new stuff’ is closed to new replies.