Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike locks – whats good for the garage?
  • djflexure

Going to have to get a couple more locks.
    Presently use Abus City Chains.
    They are quite expensive though.
    Anybody know what else works?
    Chain or D lock?
    Don’t have to be moved about – so heavy as you like.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ground anchor and big eff off chain. expect to pay plenty for a strong lock. Look at motorcycle stuff. almax is often recommended but I have no direct experience of them

dangerousdan
    Free Member

+1 to that. Biggest, meanest ground anchor you can afford plus the biggest, meanest chain you can afford. If it doesn’t weigh as much as your bike fagedaboutit.

Even more importantly though, make sure you install it effectively – unless your ground anchor is proper bolted to something proper solid you might as well just chain it to thin air. I had a biek secrued to a wall anchor drilled into brick that proved to be of chocolate fireguard usefulness.

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you can’t find a decent bit of concrete to fit the ground anchor in to then consider getting an old van or truck tyre and filling it with concrete – a bag of cement and two or three bags of “all in” aggregate from your local DIY store should be more than enough to make the finished article too heavy for all but the most determined of light-fingered sc#m to move.

Gribs

Don’t bother with a d-lock. They last about a minute against someone armed with a jack.

nealy
    Free Member

When I get my next bike I’ll be getting an Almax chain. Not cheap but the videos on their website are quite convincing!

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Chainline
    Free Member

Pragmasis 19mm lock and Squire custom padlock

Similar to Almax but after my research I was slightly more convinced. With ground anchor of course.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Almax and heavy duty ground anchor or bucket/tyre-o-crete. Blank shotgun cartridge alarms are good as well, just so long as you don’t forget it and trip it yourself

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gribs – Member

Don’t bother with a d-lock. They last about a minute against someone armed with a jack.

Good quality ones are fine

snakebite
    Free Member

Those Kryptonite forgetaboutit locks,as featured on the fresh goods pag a few weeks backwe tried to mash one in the engineers workshop a few weeks ago, didn’t really get near damaging 😯 it. Got a load of them new wih original packaging, 3 keys etc, half the RRP if anyone does want one 8)

showerman
    Free Member

but as said in earlier thread yesterday if they cannot get through the locks they cut through the frame as the parts are of value.
    me i keep them in the loft out of sight just the shopping bike in the shed (dimondback ti axis pro)but would miss it if got nicked

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I’ve got an Almax chain and a TORC ground anchor. Expensive but you won’t believe how big they are until you see them in the flesh. You’ll need several minutes with an angle grinder to get through them. Get a long chain 2m and put it through the frame and both wheels.

dobo
    Free Member

im by no means a security expert but i’ll go out on a limb and say the following

a big **** off chain on a cycle isnt necessarily the best advice.
    some of the 16-19mm ones dont fit through the spokes and frames for a start.
    also it might be less hassle to chop through your frame, so make sure it goes through your wheel as well.

i would also say a decent dlock combined with a decent chain is the way to go.
    check out the paramount, onguard and kryptonite locks, many others but make sure its 16mm+ unless your just buying one to secure the front wheel, which is also good idea.

torc anchors and almax a good place to start, not cheap though

so to sumarise

decent chain to a concrete anchor
    a decent dlock to another bike or object would be good (obviously in different place to the chain)
    a mini dlock around the front wheel and maybe the chain if it reaches

that should delay things, but you want to stop them getting in as even if the first attempt is failed they might be back.
    layers of security is better than one

djflexure

Thanks for the advice, will look at Almax
    Agreed combination of locks seems the best bet.
    Snakebite what length chains do you have and how much are they – email in profile if you prefer.

peasant
    Free Member

Snakebite I would be interested in one of your locks ,can you email me thanks Ant

boxfish
    Free Member

Do not underestimate the ability of thieves!

Torq ground anchor? Check
    16mm Pragmasis chain? Check
    Squire closed shackle padlock? Check
    Wheels D-locked? Check
    Garage doors secured? Check…

I always thought the garage up-an-over door would be a weak point, so I added some pacri locks and sank some bolts through the base of the door into the concrete floor. What I didn’t expect was for someone to rip a steel reinforced, multi-point locking side door off it’s four hinges…

Rather than attempt to cut the chain, my frame was cut. There was
    a d-lock attaching the front wheel to my workbench. They sawed through the workbench and took the lock intact. The back wheel was d-locked to the front wheel of my road bike, so they took that wheel too.

There’s not much more I could have done to secure the bike or the garage, save for installing an alarm. Obviously, that’s now in hand.

landcruiser
    Free Member

So what are we saying…. Get an alarm, and make sure you have adequate insurance cover ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike locks – whats good for the garage?’ is closed to new replies.