Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • bike lock security – chains & d-Lock – vs bolt cutters and grinders
  • coconut
    Free Member

I have a KTM area comp which I lock at work in the bike stands. The bike is insured. I lock front wheel with a krypton D-lock and have just bought a 10mm hardened steel chain for going through d-lock and frame.

got me wondering… can 10mm chains be cut easily with large bolt cutters or is it only with an angle or disc grinder ? and no I am not a potential bike thief! just deciding how secure my bike is.

Have you had a bike stolen ? what happened & which locks ?

tjagain

10mm chain is easy for a bolt cutter – needs to be 18mm. Same for the d lock

seosamh77
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWCHzH2xEA[/video]

probably just as easy as it’ll go through your d-lock.

If thieves want your bike, they’ll get it.

Best security = don’t leave your bike where it’ll be stolen. Still not 100% fool proof though.

tjagain

18mm + case hardened chain means the crooks have to go up a level to get the bikes tho – Bolt croppers will not do. It would need to be hydraulic shears or a petrol driven grinder

coconut
    Free Member

Wow really surprised it is 18mm, and that youtube video makes you realise how easy a d lock is to cut. Think that is even the model i am using. Anyone recomend an 18mm chain or lock that does not cost too much. Thanks

eshershore
    Free Member

I’ve cut many d locks and chain with an electric angle grinder after legit owners have lost keys. Scary how quick you can go through anything with fresh disc

tjagain

almax is the usual answer although I have an oxford d lock that has an 16mm shackle

You won’t get a decent lock cheap – you will need to spend at least £100

simonhbacon
    Free Member

My wife & I had both bikes stolen together. They were locked together to a bike hoop with a couple of silver rated chains.

We have bought a couple of these things for the replacement bikes

http://www.litelok.com

They are gold rated and quite easy to carry. Hopefully they will be a bit more secure.

Junkyard
    Free Member

does an angle grinder go through the almax though?

Surprised if it does not but I have no idea

IMHO all you can do is slow them down

I would also consider removing things like seat to annoy them as well and just taking the front wheel into work with you

tjagain

I would not trust that lock at all. Unfortunately gold rating means little

tjagain

Junkyard – being case hardened and with the diameter of them a powerful petrol driven one will eventually – a rechargeable one would take forever

oreetmon
    Free Member

Had 2 bikes nicked recently, ( left my cordless 4″ grinder on garage floor next to them 😐 ) insurance paid out and has got me a new bike, van vault for my tools/grinder, garage alarm, 4 PIR NV cameras wired to a cloud and alerts me by text when triggered. I have also bought some sheets of concrete slab reinforcing mesh that I will be welding together to form a bike locker and also welding to the steel rafters in the roof.

I know they will be back

seadog101

Kryptonite D-Lock was left behind after bike theft. A curious one too.

Not an expensive bike, but locked to a stand with the Lock through the front wheel and Kryptonite cable on lock and through frame. Simply deterrent tactics, but it was in a public place (no CCTV arrrghk!).

The only thing left was a cut able and the lock on the stand. The Tea-leaf must have chopped through the front wheel and tyre. Why? it was quick release, so they could have just left the wheel behind, the bike wouldn’t have been ridable.

tjagain

to the OP can you leave the lock at work to save carrying it? Unfortunately decent locks are heavy – mine is 2+ kg IIRC

A D lock needs to lock both ends of the shackle as well to make it harder to be jacked apart

cynic-al
    Free Member

Almax videos are entertaining, looks like decent stuff. Thanks TJ

Makes you wonder if ANY of the bike trade stuff would actually last 5m, I’d assumed the decent chains were hardened – OP states they are, TJ says it’s diameter that matters?

wzzzz
    Free Member

I use motorcycle chains and have insurance at home.

I never leave decent bikes outside anywhere, it stays in the car or comes in the office with me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

thanks knew about uncroppable did not know about uncuttable

Its serious stuff that chain as a mate has it

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks too long for a bike, anyone wanna go halfers?

tjagain

Not uncuttable junkyard – just slow to cut and needs good tools. As you said above notyhing will stop them if they really want it – what yo9u need to do is make yours harder to steal than the ones around. the other thing I have done is disguise a decent bike with horrid taping up and bad ( emulsion ) paint jobs so it looks not worth nicking

ashfanman
    Free Member

Recently came across this site and found it very helpful in choosing a lock: http://thebestbikelock.com/

A lot of detail and comparison between lock types.

tjagain

cynic – al – the diameter means ordinary bolt croppers can’t get a proper bite. YOu want the chain case hardened – so the outside layers resist cutting but the core remains pliable so it can’t be broken easily

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Made me realise how poor most bike shop stuff is. The bike stand at work is the only place I can park it as I work on big construction site and there are turnstile security gates. The bike is in view of a lot of workers and almost next to the security cabin so only need anti bolt cutters, as anyone with a grinder would attract too much attention with nosie and sparks. Being carbon fibre it is hard to make it look a “poor” bike as the shape just looks expensive.

Might swing by a local motor bike shop and check there chains and locks.

project
    Free Member

Being carbon fibre it is hard to make it look a “poor” bike as the shape just looks expensive.

theyll cut through frame with hacksaw or pipe cutter, and sell the parts.

get a steel chain and some old hoover hose,or large air hose makes the chain to thick to get into bolt croppers jaws.

petec
    Free Member

I’ve got a few of these.

Gold secure, and Art4. 17mm shackle, and not too big (can’t get a jack in).

Someone tried to get my old bike at station once with the lock on. They failed miserably (stamped on the back wheel though. Gits 😥 )

Anyway, it’s only £17. Recommended here

tjagain

That link to the comparison site makes one fundamental blunder – d locks need both ends of the shackle to lock to be secure otherwise they are easily opened.

coconut
    Free Member

This seems a pretty decent lock ? only 14mm but should prevent most smaller bolt cutters right ?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-New-York-Chain-With-EV-Series-4-Disc-Lock_15255.htm

tjagain

the one linked by petec looks good. given the history of kryptonite locks I would not buy one

clipper247
    Free Member

Abus KS chain and Abus Diskus padlock.
    I used to work for them years ago (they sacked me, so no misplaced loyalty!) and I still use mine.
    The padlock is completely covered by the chain, so there is no weak part to attack – I had to cut a link off my chain last year as I’d lost the keys in a house move and it took me a long time with an angle grinder to get through.

Word of warning though – it is heavy!

g5604
    Free Member

I leave my bike nights & weekends in a public place. Never had it stolen:

– kryptonite fahgettaboudit through front wheel
    – kryptonite new York through pedal, frame and rear wheel.
    – ball bearings in seat post & saddle
    – pin lock skewers on both wheels

But the most important thing I think is to remove all logos as it kills resale value

maccruiskeen

– pin lock skewers on both wheels

Not that it matters because you’re locking through the wheel anyway… but the day you loose the pin-lock key is the day you discover you don’t actually need it to release the wheels. They’re a nice a idea but they don’t actually work.

matt_outandabout

Is it not cheaper to have a beater bike that may not be as appealing and therefore likely to be nicked?

g5604
    Free Member

Not that it matters because you’re locking through the wheel anyway… but the day you loose the pin-lock key is the day you discover you don’t actually need it to release the wheels. They’re a nice a idea but they don’t actually work.

just another deterrent, to make them think its not worth the effort.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just bought the 11mm chain and lock package from here :

http://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=Medium+Security+Chain+and+Lock+Deals

in a 1m length so I can wear it like a belt and pretend I am a courier/hipster. It seems a lot easier ot carry the weight of such a lock round your waist than attached to the bike or in a bag.

Tenuous
    Free Member

I refer to this thread on LFGSS when choosing locks, well worth a look (and a read of some of the discussion surrounding why certain locks work or don’t).

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘bike lock security – chains & d-Lock – vs bolt cutters and grinders’ is closed to new replies.