Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bike light charger question
  • Lummox

Just got my yin ding (finally) it’s boxed with the 2 pin chargers and I’m not going to risk that.

I have found a charger with a compatible plug and another with a similar output voltage but unsure what the ratings mean on it, could someone explain the differences in simple terms and more importantly will it work without exploding and taking a child’s face off?

Boxed charger
    Input: 100-249v/ac 50/60hz 150ma
    Output: 8.4v 1000ma

Possible replacement 1
    Input : 220-240v 50hz 35ma
    Output: 3v 80ma

Possible replacement 2 (need to change connector)
    Input: 230v 50hz 70ma
    Output: 9v 400ma

Cheers for you assistance with this witchcraft

neninja
    Free Member

The battery pack is unlikely to have over charge protection so you need an 8.4v charger.

I’d be inclined to use the Yinding one in a metal box (extension lead with the charger and battery pack in it) or buy another.

Lithium-ion operates safely within the designated operating voltages; however, the battery becomes unstable if inadvertently charged to a higher than specified voltage. Prolonged charging above 4.30V forms plating of metallic lithium on the anode, while the cathode material becomes an oxidizing agent, loses stability and produces carbon dioxide (CO2).

Lummox

Ok, think you’re correct as it is the bundled battery. Cheers for your help

So possibly option 3, my older magicshine charger is output 8.4v 1.8a, would this be ok if I visited maplin for the appropriate plug adapters, I’d like to keep this as is because I still use the older dx Bastid and have two batteries for that

neninja
    Free Member

The Magicshine one should be fine – it will charge at a faster rate than the one that came with the light. Is the connector not the same on that one?

I got a Yinding to test and it has the same connectors as most Magicshine packs (apart from the 880).

Lummox

Definitely doesn’t fit but was an aftermarket charger for the dx so not surprised of the compatibility issues, both dx batteries have a screw fit waterproof connection now after some particularly wet commutes home, chopped off the connector that fitted and now use it as an adaptor, I had hoped the yin ding would plug straight on

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bike light charger question’ is closed to new replies.