• This topic has 44 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bike Jerseys and Jackets for mtbs – Useless?
  • epicyclo

Am I the only one who finds most bike specific jackets and jerseys useless for mtb riding because of their rear pockets and nothing on the front?

If I’m out for the day I am more than likely to have a backpack and the rear pockets are not accessible, or if the pockets have something in them interfere with the backpack.

End result? I simply buy normal outdoor gear, but that doesn’t have some of the useful things the bike gear has like drop rear, longer arms, a neater fit, and a collar that closes more closely.

sbd16v
    Free Member

The pockets are useless once you have a backpack on, but they don’t make them usless.

I don’t understand why they would, just don’t put anything in them.

Houns

I agree (though can see the argument that items should be in your bag)

Also shorts with non zipped pockets?! Yeah great idea

JRTG
    Free Member

Just don’t use them or ditch the bag, you don’t need all that stuff anyway.

scotroutes

(a) lots of bike jerseys out there with no pockets
    (b) I try not to take a bag

IHN

Eh? You’re complaining that putting stuff inthe pockets gets in the way of the backpack you’ve got on? Then don’t put stuff in the pockets, put it in the backpack

On the occasions you don’t have a backpack, the pockets are there to put stuff in.

😕

weeksy

JRTG – Member

Need the water though.

stimpy
    Free Member

Need the water though.

First there was light. And it was good. And then God said ‘Lo, let there be bottles cages and bidons’. And there were bottle cages and bidons. And they were, well, adequate if you didn’t want to take a back pack.

Or stuff a bidon in one of your jersey back pockets.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

frame bag for easy-access?

convert

Need the water though.

Unless it’s a long ride I use a little seat pack for minimal tools, put a couple of odd bits in my back pockets and carry a bottle on the frame. Get the right cage and they never fall out.

Riding without a backpack is very liberating (and a hell of a lot less sweaty)!

edit – ^ don’t call them bidons though – can make you sound a bit try-hard.

weeksy

JRTG – Member

Sorry I’m a MTBer, I have no idea what a Bidon is and my MTB doesn’t have bottle cage mounts 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Calling them bidons does make you sound like a muppet, but you could put a bottle in one of your much maligned jersey pockets… I never ride with a bag, much nicer!

convert

my MTB doesn’t have bottle cage mounts

What’s the frame – sounds like an oversight to me (though some suspension setup make it impossible I guess).

weeksy

What’s the frame – sounds like an oversight to me (though some suspension setup make it impossible I guess).

Commencal Meta AM29

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IMO a lot of “MTB” carries a mark up that is totally unnecessary. Shorts probably being the most obvious followed by tops.

convert

Commencal Meta AM29

Ahh, don’t worry it’ll break soon enough and you can buy a bike with the right attachments 😉

stimpy
    Free Member

Sorry I’m a MTBer, I have no idea what a Bidon is

And on the second day God created Google and other search engine facilities, so that man could ignore it and ask of others on MTB forums what it would have taken but mere seconds to discover for themselves.

Oh, and frame bags (as above).

jonba
    Free Member

I find them pretty useless for most riding but then I put stuff in the bag as I prefer that.

However, I’ve no started using a minimalist pack that is narrow so allows me access to the two side pockets. Mainly use these to carry a few bits of food so I can eat on the move.

Main reason I have them is that I also ride on the road and don’t want two sets of jerseys. When they are empty you don’t notice them.

Houns

Bidon/Chapeau etc etc = pretentious cockishness

Jamie
    Free Member

Also shorts with non zipped pockets?! Yeah great idea

It’s surprising how hard it it is to find shorts with zipped pockets.

In the end, I found DHB Dynos. Zipped side and rear pockets, and nice slim cut so I don’t look like i’m off to shred the gnar. Or, indeed, am particularly stoked.

Houns

Anyway, back on subject. I hate using jersey pockets. The weight of stuff in them pulls down causing the zip/collar/hem to dig in to the front of my neck

scotroutes

When they are empty you don’t notice them.

Ah, but epicyclo is a notorious weight-weenie.

epicyclo

sbd16v – Member
    I don’t understand why they would, just don’t put anything in them.

OK, maybe I should have been clearer. I like having pockets that are accessible. 3 at the back and none at the front doesn’t work for me on a mtb.

I often use a saddlebag or more recently a frame bag. The idea of carrying a bidet is good for hygiene I suppose, but the frame bag gets in the way. 🙂

Putting the load on the bike is a good option, but it’s a real hassle for lifting the bike over fences, through those fancy gates designed to keep wheelchair users off the trails, or over stiles (my right arm is weak once I lift over shoulder height). Which is why I prefer a backpack for most use.

BTW for short rides under 2-3 hours I don’t need anything.

scotroutes – Member
    Ah, but epicyclo is a notorious weight-weenie.

Reformed WW now. Look at what I ride the most now. 🙂

wwaswas

the only thing I carry in my shorts pockets is a hankie and they don’t fall out, zips or no.

The thought of landing on my keys or a multi-tool when I inevitably fall off is too painful to contemplate.

stimpy
    Free Member

Calling them bidons does make you sound like a muppet,

Bidon/Chapeau etc etc = pretentious cockishness

Wrong side of the bed this morning? Slightly strong responses for early on such a beautiful start to the long Easter weekend break and all riding opportunities it brings?

I had hoped people might pick up the deliberately biblically themed language, slightly tongue in cheek and with which I thought ‘bidon’ was a better fit than ‘water bottle’.

In case of doubt, my above posts weren’t meant to be taken entirely seriously.

adsh
    Free Member

Must be a hell of a pack not to be able to access the outer 2 pockets?

I use 2 bottle cages, saddle pack, frame mounted pump and carry food and a gilet in my pockets. Works well for the XC stuff I like.

I used to have an issue with the fit of jerseys in that they were tight and shorts were baggy making me look like a puny weakling. Now I’m into XC I’ve ditched the baggies and view having no upper body as perfectly normal.

the-muffin-man

The weight of stuff in them pulls down causing the zip/collar/hem to dig in to the front of my neck

This – front pockets are useless for all but lightweight stuff. A cycle jersey is not the same as a walking shirt/jersey. You don’t walk 10 miles hunched over looking at the floor!

br
    Free Member

A couple of the guys have these type of Sacs, they have small zipped pockets in the belts – seem to work well.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/bike-accessories/hydration-packs/camelbak-charge-10-lr-hydration-pack

Houns

Neither were my comments

Oh and I’m working all over Easter weekend, so screw you! 😡

stimpy
    Free Member

Houns – Sorry to hear you’re working over Easter weekend – didn’t mean to rub salt in…No riding at all? That definitely sucks.

Will spare a thought for you* when I’m on dry dusty local trails over the weekend

*this may not actually be true 🙂

andytherocketeer

loads of jerseys without pockets
    loads of jerseys with pockets

tend to keep camera in one, etrex in another, and maybe a power bar or something in the 3rd. plus a camelback. no real issue accessing the pockets with back pack on. easier access to camera and snack. be a royal pita taking backpack of all the time.

depends what you prefer to ride i spose.

edlong
    Free Member

The thing with bottles on the frame, offroad, is that they do tend to get liberally coated in whatever crud you’re riding through ime.

sandwicheater

I understand the OP’s gripe (when mountain biking). My bag doesn’t have side pockets so if I’m bumbling along and want access to a wee snack it would be ace to have a chest pocked. Hmmm, the straps would infringe on that too.

Ohh well, i’ll just have to stop and admire the view while scoffing my face.

Houns

Nope, no riding. Haven’t been at work for last 11 days (7 days leave, 4 days sick) have been feeling crap all this time with a chest infection. Missed HONC, have a new bike built up and needing to be ridden too. I’m getting out of breath walking down stairs, never mind up, tbh doubtful if I’ll be fit enough to work over the weekend anyway.

So yeah, I’m grumpy 😡 you can shove yer Bidon up yer ‘arris, sideways 😡

clubber
    Free Member

I tend to keep my keys in my jersey pocket even when I have a camelbak on. So I like them 🙂

And I can’t say I’ve ever noticed my jersey pulling on my neck.

Have a fun weekend, houns 🙂

Houns

*throws Bidon full of pisse at clubber*

clubber
    Free Member

Chapeau!

slowoldman

And on the second day God created Google and other search engine facilities, so that man could ignore it and ask of others on MTB forums

But Knowitalltrackworld is more useful than Google.

tonyd

The thing with bottles on the frame, offroad, is that they do tend to get liberally coated in whatever crud you’re riding through ime.

I got one of these recently for just that reason.

I hate using jersey pockets. The weight of stuff in them pulls down causing the zip/collar/hem to dig in to the front of my neck

Your jersey isn’t tight enough!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Second the comments to dump the pack. Never bother unless I’m going to be out for more than a couple of hours riding. A bottle in the cage, a multitool and a phone. Don’t really need much else.

Your jersey isn’t tight enough!

A lot of the mtb specific ones can be quite a baggy fit for the size, which is a pain. Avoid them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bike Jerseys and Jackets for mtbs – Useless?’ is closed to new replies.