Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike insurance – valuation certificate?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Just changed home insurer and they say I need to get a valuation certificate for my bike from a bike shop

It’s not an off the peg bike it’s one I’ve built up from frame only

Has anyone else had to do this?

monkeyboyjc

Nope. Usually they only ask for that if its been stolen and requires replacement. Some lbs will charge for the service as well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I did then found a different insurer. If you know your LBS should be easy, if you got it all from the internet then expect to pay!

If it’s a custom build then the value of replacement is RRP on every part. Make your list and see if that is fine, in the end you need the insurance company to agree. what they say goes

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Sorry I wasn’t clear – they are saying a certificate will be required in the event of a claim – but it will be too late then so I need to get one now

njee20
    Free Member

We used to have a book of valuation certificates specifically for this back in the day. Latterly as everything moved to computers we just used to print one off on shop headed paper. Didn’t used to charge if it was a bike we supplied or a customer we knew.

Phil_H

I had to do that years ago with Norwich union for a bike I’d built up.
    I blagged some headed paper from my LBS and wrote it up myself, ahem.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Do you have an Edinburgh Bike Coop near you? My local certified a breakdown I did myself listing the RRP of all the components I used in my builds. I think they charge £20 or something. Perhaps other ‘recognised’ retailers would do the same.

DezB
    Free Member

I had to get one after a breaking a frame to claim – £15 from the LBS.
    I did ask on here if anyone would do a fellow cyclist a favour and provide one and was attacked from every side 😳
    More fool me!

JonW
    Free Member

My insurer accepted a list of the components with photocopies of ads from a recent bike mag with the prices.

DezB
    Free Member

My insurer accepted a list of the components with photocopies of ads from a recent bike mag with the prices.

I’m guessing this was in the 90s! 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

my LBS provided me with similar after an accident, for insurance. I think it cost £20, which i claimed back.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike insurance – valuation certificate?’ is closed to new replies.