Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike insurance at home – Topping up House insurance
  • Doh1Nut

There has been some dodgy activity recently around home, two women knocking door to door asking to “borrow” petrol! (carrying petrol can)
    Also some fly tipping in the middle of a suburban street last night.
    I did wonder if there were some proud upholders of the Romany tradition nearby.

So while my bikes are covered up to a limit by the house insurance, is there a good top-up insurance. I only want cover at home.
    Google is just giving me house insurance or out and about insurance

Suggestions?

sandwicheater

I can’t think of an insurer who will top up the bike value however;

Are your bikes worth more than they are insured for? You run the risk if they are nicked of the home insurer reducing what they pay out by what you have under insured the bikes by. May be worth checking your policy wording.

Doh1Nut

Exactly – the insurer has a top limit for “stuff in garage” and I am pretty sure I would be over it.
    I am almost looking for gap insurance to top up the difference between their worth and what the house insurance would pay out.

N

sandwicheater

But potentially you may be paid nothing so it’s hard to say ie your bike is £2,000, your max limit for items in garage is £1,000. Come claim time the insurer say’s ‘oh, we’ll be deducting what is uninsured from what is insured and give you exactly nothing, cheerio’, see http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/PUBLICATIONS/technical_notes/under-insurance-household.html and have a look if you have an average clause in your policy.

May be worth changing insurers to cover the correct value.

steveh

sandwicheater is pointing out that if you knowingly under insure an item (say a 3k bike on a 2k limit) then the insurer may well refuse to pay you the 2k for it as you knew it was worth more – in some cases you would get only 1k (insured amount less amount the item was under insured by).

Doh1Nut

Thats interesting – thanks for linking that
    But the application of average does not match what the ombudsman links.

(Sum insured / true value) * loss = claim paid.
    £1000/2000 * 2000 = 1000

which would not actually disavantage me so I suspect they mean the following.

(Sum insured / true value) * loss I am allowed to caim for = claim paid.
    £1000/2000 * 1000 = 500

or to use the numbers they give
    £30000/£50000 * 20000 = 12000

Ill have a closer look at T&Cs tonight

Doh1Nut

Cycleguard £ 17/month, for home and away £2k cover, might be worth it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike insurance at home – Topping up House insurance’ is closed to new replies.