Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike insurance, any recommendations
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

Need to insure my bike, and I'll have to pay extra to put in on the household policy, so anybody got any recommendations before I part with the cash… I have heard that M&S is great, but my contents isn't up for renewal any time soon.. ;(

I'm having a nightmare at the moment.

Nationwide cancelled my B&C approx a year ago because I didn't reply to a letter I never received, leaving me sat in an uninsured house unbeknown to me, with 2 grands worth of uninsured bike. Upon a hasty renewal of my policy, I specified my new bike to be added at it's new higher value. The policy came through and stated pretty much that bikes were not covered. After trying to get to the bottom of it three times I was eventually told it was because it was too expensive.

Then begins the search for a new insurance company and I got an online quote from More Than and specifically requested bike cover at the stated value. Policy comes through and guess what – no bike cover. After a not so quick call to India, I was told that I had not requested bike cover, but a seperate quote would be sent out. Three weeks later and no quote, so an e-mail was sent in preference to another conversation in pidgeon English. I'm currently awaiting a response and the missus is getting increasingly irate at the fact a bike has been sat in our lounge for nearly three months now.

My patience is wearing thin, but I'm determined not to pay for specific cover at £25 odd per month.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Well I won't be not using my bike because its not insured, but this is partly the reason i thought separate bike insurance might be the way to go… so anybody got any ideas?

I'm not not using it; I'm just not putting it in the shed until it's insured.

Drac

have heard that M&S is great, but my contents isn't up for renewal any time soon.. ;(

Doesn't matter you cancel it whenever you like.

crazy-legs

I've never had Home or Contents insurance mostly cos when I first enquired about it I was told the bikes weren't covered and since that was all I was really bothered about I never took it any further.
    Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I finally looked into it again and ended up getting cover from Barclays – all my bikes covered in full. They're covered from the car as well provided that they're locked to a solid part of the car (ie seatbelt fixings).

zaskar
    Free Member

Are you guys looking to cover against theft using your contents insurance?

The AA were good to me and gave me libility of £mill to 3rd parties but I would like an insurance policy that covered my own damage should I crash or driver drives off leaving me to fork out the bill to a bike etc.

Any ideas? I did get a cycleguard cover for a yr on a cheap commuter but for my training bike it was more than my car insurance policy!?!

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I was looking for something separate to my home contents, although from a quick scout around it seems like its going to cost ££££ problem with having an expensive bike i guess.

Drac: M&S = Marks and spencer

Cheapest I found so far is ETA but at £250ish for a bike costing £2500 plus I will have to buy and have the receipt for an approved lock , which I'm guessing wont be cheap.

zangolin
    Free Member

Not seperate insurance but besides M&S there are a few other companies which insure bikes up to the value of £4k (away from home covered also) as part of the houshold.
    Have just changed to Sheilas Wheels house + contents policy was less than £200 (I guess it depends on your property value?).
    If I can remember the other companies were E-Sure + the AA.
    Can you cancel + get a part refund? May work out lots cheaper than a sepaerate bike policy.

Drac

Drac: M&S = Marks and spencer

Yes, yes it does but that still doesn't stop your from cancelling your insurance any time you want.

grantway
    Free Member

I am with Halifax and costs me £ 4.00p per month to insure a £ 3,000.00p bike.

spooky_b329

Zasker, M&S (and Greenbee) cover you if you stuff your bike into a tree and break it. Need premium cover though.

Zuke, steer well clear of bike specific insurance, its a rip off and so full of t&c's you will have to bend over backwards to make sure you conform to their requirements. They wangled their way out of a claim for a nicked wheel by saying it was an accessory, on pushing the matter they said they don't cover any parts, the whole bike has to be stolen.

coatesy
    Free Member

Zangolin-i'd check up with Shiela's wheels if I were you, a customer of ours recently said he'd insured his bike to the value of £800 with them, but when it was stolen they told him it was only worth £500 (depreciation,I guess), and just to rub salt in the wound they took back £150 as an excess.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike insurance, any recommendations’ is closed to new replies.