Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike insurance advice
  • catcher
    Free Member

I’ve got all my bikes listed individually on my home contents insurance with Aviva; one at £5500, one at £2500, another at £1995 etc, 7 bikes in total. As I had 2 bikes nicked by thieving scum last year, one from home and one in Europe, my renewal has increased to £975. This is contents only, not building insurance. Has anyone got any advice to get a cheaper way of covering the bikes? Cheers.

highclimber
    Free Member

try A different insurer?

catcher
    Free Member

Wow, genius.

sync
    Free Member

Seems expensive, declaring valuables and possessions of similar and higher values such as music instruments, watches and jewelry and premium is under half that. Some insurers charge per bike over 500 rather than on value. Try to find one which covers a higher base value. Afterall you are only insuring loss and theft not accidental damage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

True but it’s about the best way, renewal is normally an expensive option.
    Insuring just bikes is more so.

spooky_b329

I assume you’ve tried the higher excess route?

How much is the premium without the bikes? If we say £500 is the bikes alone, that buys a lot of security over the years. Two separate bike claims in one year is always going to sting, the insurance probably know that the guys that stole from your home will be coming back at some point.

catcher
    Free Member

Thanks guys; will definitely be shopping around for new quotes, but just wondered if anyone had favourable experiences with the companies that just insure bikes and whether they had a ‘fleet’ type of policy. Many thanks.

spooky_b329

Bike specific will cost around 10% of the fleets value per year in premiums, so around a £1000, and the small print will leave your cover full of gaping holes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike insurance advice’ is closed to new replies.