Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike insurance
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve seen bike insurance where they are covered away from home as well as in the garage. The away from home cover is one at a time rather than all which seems to make sence as I can only ride one at a time! Does anyone have any experience with this sort of insurance and can you recomend any decent(ish) companies? Thanks

JEngledow
    Free Member

Bump!

njee20
    Free Member

Standalone policies or home insurance?

I’ve never seen the former be anything but absurdly expensive, and there are myriad threads on the latter.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I was thinking stand alone bike insurance, but welcome your comments on it’s cost (in which case I’ll get a few online quotes for stand alone and then go back to my contents insurance provider and see what they can do!)

muddy9mtb

usually tag on to home insurance, cover is less but considering I’m expected to carry around a 20kg lock and chain at all times will probably renders it useless anyway. for the 10% they will charge for a standalone policy I’d rather put that money in the bank, lock my bike up with a cheap lightweight “deterent” for the odd coffee stop and hide it behind other bikes. If someone wants your bike they are going to have it even with a descent lock. there’s not allot you can do to stop thieving t….rs from nicking bits of it anyway

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’ve just gone with John Lewis home insurance. Quotes for bike specific cover were coming out very expensive, but this was a simple case of list the bike name and value on the form job. I grilled them on the phone about the cover and it seemed pretty simple. In the garage they didn’t need to be locked up at all (so long as the garage itself was locked) and when out and about they need to be locked to a immovable object but there was no minimum lock rating to worry about.

TheFlyingOx

Standalone policies have, in my experience, been more than my car insurance. To the point that 3 years of premiums for one of my (rather costly) bikes would have bought a brand new one.
    I’ve gone down the route of alarmed garage at home and if it’s away I’m either sat on it or it’s locked in the car. MUCH cheaper.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve been recommended Bikmo+ by several people & when I got a quote, it was surprisingly good.
    Bikes have to be secured properly, which is fair enough, but I don’t know anyone who’s had to make a claim through them yet.

njee20
    Free Member

I think these things increase exponentially on higher end bikes – just tried Bikmo and to cover one (£4k) bike they’re almost exactly the same price as my home insurance, which covers 4 (and obviously quite a bit of other stuff too). Perhaps better value if your bike is a more sensible value.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Strange, as mine are impossible to get covered through the household (£1500 limit) but realistic for all of them through Bikmo. Although I haven’t got a single bike of that value, as a collective they’re well above.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike insurance’ is closed to new replies.