Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike holiday with non-biking wife?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

My wife is happy as a pig in poo to spend a week sat in the sun reading a book, but I’d like to go on a mtb holiday. Has anyone been on a mtb holiday and taken a non-biking spouse? If so would you recommend it and do you have any tips / advise? Thanks.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I haven’t so can’t give you advice! But we are looking at going to Sierra Nevada MTBINg with http://www.sierracycling.com and it looks good as it’s by the beach!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Marbella, Puerto Banus etc and you go and ride with Switchbacks. Couldn’t be more ‘simples’

God I hate myself for typing that.

ericemel
    Free Member

Tenerife, Portugal (cascais) or Morocco

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not a pure bike holiday, but Neilson Beachplus are ace for that sort of thing. Plenty of sunshine and cold beer and some nice rides too.

D0NK

Good luck with that!

My wife is happy as a pig in poo to spend a week sat in the sun reading a book

My mrs is of a similar disposition – aslong as I’m on the next sun lounger. If it works for you, nice one, no way I’d be doing it tho.

Also on bike/ski hols I tend to not drink at night (until the last night anyway) that sort of thing wouldn’t help either.

Stuey01
    Free Member

In the summer it’s sunny and hot in the alps…
    Yet to get my Mrs to buy this. It’s not the Alps that put her off, it’s that she is convinced she wouldn’t see me all week, and to be fair she’s probably right.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

+1 for Neilson.
    The rides are mainly local to the resort, of 1,2, 3 hours duration with maybe an epic ride once a week. If you’re at a coastal resort you’ll also get the watersports tuition included in the price.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I took my then pregnant wife on a Neilson holiday. Thought the same as you. She was pretty cool all things considered but honestly had a pretty mediocre time. Was Vass and it’s pretty middle of nowhere and not a lot for her to do outside of literally just sitting in the sun reading a book.

I had a riot.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Every morning spike her drink -> free day to ride.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Lake Garda?

mrmojo
    Free Member

What the southern yeti said … few years back the wife and I went to Garda .. she lay about I was out riding every day for a week plenty of great trails, guides and helpful tourist information.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Stunning singletrack rides with plenty of bus uplift during the day.
    Non-biking wife can chill on the beach or in the garden by our pool and later join in the lively après-bike at night.
    Non-biking discount of 40% if that helps!

http://www.sierracycling.com since 1992.

Tijane
    Free Member

+1 for sierra cycling.com. Great set up fifty metres from the beach and a lovely pool on site. Plenty to do for the non cycling better half and the cycling is ace too! Alan has been set up for so long that the organisation is smooth as can be. I am off out for my fourth trip in the spring.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vass is one of the more dedicated sailing resorts, the Beachplus ones are far more everyone-friendly.

blades2000
    Free Member

+1 For sierra cycling.com. I had a really good time when I was there a couple of years ago. Although I was there on my own If I had been there with a non biker there was plenty for them to do.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

If you’re happy to do your own thing, then Mallorca works for us. I’m in the same boat – and we’ve tried a few different options, but what works best for us is the following:

> Go in late June / early July – it’s hot enough to practically guarantee proper sunbathing weather so you’ve got that bit (un)covered.
    >This of course, is not much use for riding, but just get up early and get out before it gets too hot. If you’re out at 6am, you can get a good 4 or 5 hours in and be back to meet her by the pool well before lunch. Even at 11 or 12 in the morning it’s still not as unbearably hot is it would be in August for riding.
    > If we’re self catering, Mrs gtth prefers to have other people around, so apartments are probably better. We stayed up in the mountains once and she did feel a bit isolated. Alternatively a bicycle friendly hotel works well – of which there many in Mallorca.
    > You can hire decent mountain bikes over there, and if you did want to ride with other people, places like Tramuntana Tours do group and guided rides.

Last year, I opted to hire a road bike and in the same apartments there were three or four other couples / families doing the same thing. It works really well for us, and gives us the majority of the day together – but a decent bit of quality riding time for me too. There is more to Mallorca than Magaluf! 🙂 Drop me a line if you need any pointers for where to stay or ride over there, too.

Trekster

Munqe-chick – Member
    I haven’t so can’t give you advice! But we are looking at going to Sierra Nevada MTBINg with http://www.sierracycling.com and it looks good as it’s by the beach

Been there, done that. We went on a package holiday and I just hired a bike and guiding from Alan & Co. Wife had some reading/chilling time and we used the nearby train to go along to Malaga. Train station is at the airport and we used that rather than pay for transfers. There is agood hotel opposite Alans premises which he recommended if I was to go back, mail him and ask.

Also took wife to bikeVerbier, she really appreciated the peace and quiet of the mountains when we were all away biking. the banter when we came back and the fantastic food/hospitality.

Trying to persuade her we/I need to go and visit Doug @ Basquemtb but another garndchild being born this year will scupper that idea for this year 🙄

dridac2002
    Free Member

hi british bikes
    i m from morocco ;lived in usa 15 years ,now in morocco ;if u want have wonderfull holidays or vacations look this site; www://moroccoatlasmountain.blogspot.com/…/wonderfull-water-fall-in-moroccan-atlas.html
    enjoy the reading

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike holiday with non-biking wife?’ is closed to new replies.